How Could My Thb200 Credit On My 1-2 Call Be Sucked Up So Fast?

hermespan

I am used to low rates of Cambodia and relatively good connections of Canada. I seem to be getting precious little of either in Thailand.

I figured 200 baht should be plenty so had the 7-11 girl top up my AIS account. It doesn't require any special moves does it to make sure it goes to my phone and not my data plan or remain in limbo does it?

Why din't I just call AIS? Lousy service like in Canada, take a number, 'we're abnormally busy right, let us call you back?' Are they ever normally busy or simply NOT busy? Is there any Mercedes of phone services in Thailand where you pay more but get stellar customer service, connections, 3G even in Surin, etc? ' And doesn't anybody just answer the phone anymore? I guess Thailand is more like Korea than Sri Lanks these days.

Anyway, I hardly made any calls - almost all incoming from Europe which I presumed (incorrectly?) are free and sending out a flurry of SMSs to Switzerland. Two hundred baht in two hours with no outgoing intl calls - yikes!

Edited by hermespan
  • Like 1

Rather than going on about Cambodia, Canada, Korea, Sri Lanka, Europe Switzerland in some sort of geography lament it might help if you could provide detail re: Thailand.

Phone: make and model?

My best guess is that you are using mobile data at the rate of 1 baht/min, because you did not subscribe to a data plan, and burned through your 200 baht in roughly three hours.

• Like 2

Dont know what your problem is. I call my 85 year old patents on chesp ass phones in US and they have no problem hearing me. Mobile to land incidently.

Maybe talking into a tablet (??) is an issue

Maybe the person in CA has poor cellular or a crappy phone.

Try 004 on dtac

Sounds like you might have had your mobile data/internet also turned on....that costs you 1 baht/minute on a time-based plan. Even if you were not using the phone, but the mobile data was still turned on then it's sucking 1 baht/minute.

Did you find out what cost your 200Baht? Like @lomatopo said if you data plan is done 1baht/min will be applied until its all 200 gone. Check remaining data usage you can dial *139#. And said that you received some calls from Europes and did you make a call back as well? cos that could burn out credits super fast too, check International call rates > http://www.ain.co.th/en/005_country_rate.html

Plus, SMS to international number from One2call SIM is 9.63Baht/sms. and Truemove is kinda the same > http://www.truemove.com/en/ir-intersms-coverage.htm

Hope this helpful. :D

Just make sure the internet is turned off when you are not using it, I had the same problem when I bought my phone since everything was enabled from the shop. Now I only use WLAN which usually is free. Now no problem

I have a data package too, but the package is in 'hours access', not 'volume download/upload'.

Bottom line is that if I forget to use the phone, even though I'm not using data, it chomps away through my 'hours access' monthly package and then continues on to digest the balance in my phone! The first I know about it is when I get an SMS advising my balance is low and I need to recharge!

After you've forgotten to turn off data a few times & lost a couple of thousand Baht in the process, you tend to remember to 'turn off mobile data' on your phone after each time its used. Not convenient I appreciate, but the only way not to lose your money!

• Like 1

It's all part of the mobile companies insatiable greed.

Defaulting to an out-of-bundle "per megabyte" plan would be bad enough, but even that is not enough to satisfy the greed of some providers, who default to a "per minute" plan and whatever balance you have in there is eaten. It's nothing short of daylight robbery.

It would be VERY easy for them to NOT give you data unless you ask for it (i.e. Data = OFF by default (at the provider end) and is only switched ON by subscribing to a plan, and OFF when the plan expires). Their tactics are no different from people who add you to their spam mailing lists and require you to opt out (if it's even possible), rather than the far more civilised option of requiring you to opt in.

• Like 1

Tried to get a monthly data plan on AIS a few weeks ago. They said they were not accepting new customers because the network is full. That was at the airport. Tried again the next day at Terminal 21 AIS office and they said the same.

They did offer me a normal SIM card with data by the minute (or by the hour, I forget), but they would not sell an unlimited plan, though they had signs all over both shops with unlimited plan prices listed. Bought the SIM for my visiting GF's phone and turned off her data.

Several guys in the Terminal 21 shop were understandably upset that they could not get an unlimited data plan after they had recently dropped $600-700 on a smart phone.

Sounds like you might have had your mobile data/internet also turned on....that costs you 1 baht/minute on a time-based plan. Even if you were not using the phone, but the mobile data was still turned on then it's sucking 1 baht/minute.

Also, some phones need to have data turned on to send MMS messages. Keep your data turned off as much as possible if you have not subscribed to a data plan

It's all part of the mobile companies insatiable greed.

Defaulting to an out-of-bundle "per megabyte" plan would be bad enough, but even that is not enough to satisfy the greed of some providers, who default to a "per minute" plan and whatever balance you have in there is eaten. It's nothing short of daylight robbery.

It would be VERY easy for them to NOT give you data unless you ask for it (i.e. Data = OFF by default (at the provider end) and is only switched ON by subscribing to a plan, and OFF when the plan expires). Their tactics are no different from people who add you to their spam mailing lists and require you to opt out (if it's even possible), rather than the far more civilised option of requiring you to opt in.

Often the same people who think they are not using data have their location services on (for their Map App, for photo location, for all them other apps that want to use their current location), so they are using data, even though they are not accessing the internet, sending emails or messages.

Tried to get a monthly data plan on AIS a few weeks ago. They said they were not accepting new customers because the network is full. That was at the airport. Tried again the next day at Terminal 21 AIS office and they said the same.

They did offer me a normal SIM card with data by the minute (or by the hour, I forget), but they would not sell an unlimited plan, though they had signs all over both shops with unlimited plan prices listed. Bought the SIM for my visiting GF's phone and turned off her data.

Several guys in the Terminal 21 shop were understandably upset that they could not get an unlimited data plan after they had recently dropped $600-700 on a smart phone.

The reason was most likely the person you spoke to was bone idle. I walked into AIS in Chiang Mai and got unlimited plan for 599 THB. 50 sms, 20 mms and unlimited data. One thing to remember is all international messages are charged at 2 thb for sms and 4 thb for mms. Personal choice only but I find that viber is far better than whats app. I call my family in the UK regular using viber and its free. Unfortunately this app is no good for Blackberry because it only supports free messaging.

My advise is find a Big C and talk to the AIS rep or find a dedicated AIS store.

Edited by Rosco911

As others have said you probably accidentally turned on your data with no data package and that's the only thing I know that drains you phone in no time.

I've been with 1-2-Call for four years and have had no problems other than my data getting turned on somehow and draining my phone of all it's baht twice.

Phone companies must love it when people do this.

Sounds to me like a data plan. I had a Samsung S2 and also I subscribed to a data plan it still burned up my balance. So every time when I use some kind of data plan from AIS (*138*49#) I would disable Data until I received the confirmed SMS. After that I switch off the phone and a minute later on it again.

Sounds strange but this is the only way they don't take my money at AIS.

Go to Telewiz (AIS) get a data plan and when you need to call to outside Thailand use 00500-country code-regional code (minus first zero)-phone number or 00500-country code-mobile number minus the first zero, if you use this your cost is +- B5 per minute. If you need to recharge use *120* recharge pin # and dail, you will get an sms confirming the recharge amount and the validity date.

The reason was most likely the person you spoke to was bone idle. I walked into AIS in Chiang Mai and got unlimited plan for 599 THB. 50 sms, 20 mms and unlimited data. One thing to remember is all international messages are charged at 2 thb for sms and 4 thb for mms. Personal choice only but I find that viber is far better than whats app. I call my family in the UK regular using viber and its free. Unfortunately this app is no good for Blackberry because it only supports free messaging.

My advise is find a Big C and talk to the AIS rep or find a dedicated AIS store.

OK Rosco, when are we going to Big C. Respectfully flashman!!

Why don't you ring them up and ask them? dry.png

They have english-speaking staff and they can look up and see your account data - rather than a forum of strangers that know nothing about your usage patterns.

I've dealt with a similar scenario involving 1-2-call and got it rectified very quickly, with a refund/ credit processed within about 1 hour. Excellent customer service IMHO!

• Like 2

Yes, this is a massive scam. I used up 300 baht on an AIS 12 call card in 1 day after only making a few local calls. I went to complain at AIS in Central and asked for my money back, to no avail. What happened to me is that I received a message from AIS 'to try their mobile data service for 100 baht'. Normally I just use wireless but thought I'd give it a try. What they didn't say is that a) by accepting the call I unknowingly allowed them to convert my SIM card into accepting data and B) when the 100 baht is used up, AIS automatically deduct another 100 baht from your SIM.

But that's not all. If you have GPS or location services or weather maps etc on your phone it prioritizes using 'mobile data' over wireless, to constantly update these services. If you have these permanently on, then the cost can easily be 100/200 baht per day.

There are 2 solutions. 1) Keep checking that 'mobile data' is switched off on your phone. But as we know, 'mobile data' can mysteriously get switched on again - by whom? AIS?

The 2nd and better solution is to go into an AIS shop and ask them to set your SIM card to not accept 'mobile data' again. This is what I did.

Apart from just plain "data" connection , if your device is getting accurate positioning information all the time - it will consume as much data/cost as it suck from your account.

The OP seems to be complaining that they do not understand how their device works nor the costs connected with it's operation as configured.

RTFM !

The number that I use for Customer Services is 1175. Never have any probs on that one..

Perhaps you could look on the AIS website for any codes that you might be able to use to switch on/off data plan yourself. Something like *129#if I remember correctly, but best to check first.

Apart from just plain "data" connection , if your device is getting accurate positioning information all the time - it will consume as much data/cost as it suck from your account.

The OP seems to be complaining that they do not understand how their device works nor the costs connected with it's operation as configured.

RTFM !

IME, Google Services uses less than 1% ( ~ 10 MB) of my monthly data allotment on average (over ~ 15 months).

For those with Android phones, go to Settings, Wireless & networks, Data usage to see which apps are consuming data by MB.

In the Android world, the primary data usage application, far and away, is application downloads/updates from the Play Store, so maybe best to disable automatic updates, and/or choose to update/download apps. only over WiFi.

I'm still not exactly clear on how many devices, SIMs, plans the OP has, as he has mentioned both a phone and tablet. Obviously, with more details we could help him understand where his 200 baht (Actually 186 baht before VAT.) went. Also note that service providers round up both voice calls and internet time to the next minute, so a 61 second voice call costs twice what a 60 second voice call costs.

Not sure how many international SMSes make up "a flurry", but believe those are 8.56 baht each, so maybe a combination of SMSes and leaving data turned on - the default on many phones, over which a service provider - greedy or otherwise - have little control. I do hate these greedy, profitable companies. We all know they should provide services for free. whistling.gif

post-9615-0-90616600-1367565053_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

RTFM !

There are lots of things that can consume data while the phone's idle, positioning isn't one of them. That's a function of GPS, which uses no data. Even A-GPS which uses cell information for a faster lock, uses no data.

You're taking a 'blame the victim' approach to the arguably sharp business practices of the mobile operators, which is somewhat harsh. I've had a mobile phone since the 80's and work in the field - and I'm not ashamed to admit even I've been caught out by this once or twice. When using a bundle or package that doesn't auto-renew since they usually expire at midnight, while you sleep, it's very easy to go several hours into a 'per minute' out-of-bundle default before you even notice.

• Like 1