Driving License Road Test - Chiang Mai

mesquite

Can anyone provide a description of the road test in Chiang Mai that is required to obtain a Thai driving license for a car? This is not for me, but for a Thai friend.

I'm wondering if it requires driving in traffic with the examiner, or just in the back lot like the motorcycle test.

Did mc and car at licensing centre (two years ago so possibility that it may have changed). Testing is ALL done on site. They have a very small mock roadway design. There are other people on the test track in so far that one goes off then wait a few seconds and next person drives off (testing is done in batches). Track is all one way and only real difficult part is that you are driving so slow (on mc) if there is a slow person in front so balance can be an issue. There is no close scrutiny, they see you off and then meet you at the end of your one circuit lap. Car also involves a parking test and mc also includes driving between two parallel lines. On circuit cars seem to do right loop and mc's left loop. Cars seem to have more scrutiny as there are often only a few doing test compared to mc's. Its easy enough to go down when testing is on and have a look as well.....might reassure your friend

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

Did mc and car at licensing centre (two years ago so possibility that it may have changed). Testing is ALL done on site. They have a very small mock roadway design. There are other people on the test track in so far that one goes off then wait a few seconds and next person drives off (testing is done in batches). Track is all one way and only real difficult part is that you are driving so slow (on mc) if there is a slow person in front so balance can be an issue. There is no close scrutiny, they see you off and then meet you at the end of your one circuit lap. Car also involves a parking test and mc also includes driving between two parallel lines. On circuit cars seem to do right loop and mc's left loop. Cars seem to have more scrutiny as there are often only a few doing test compared to mc's. Its easy enough to go down when testing is on and have a look as well.....might reassure your friend

At the end you park along the stairs with the left side of the car, that's all. Driving between the lines, also backwards. Cars with gear go over a small bridge for a hill test.

Edited by Joop50
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well my Thai daughter in law went to the CM road office about 4 months back to check the process to get he mocy license.

She's already had a car license for several years. She can drive her mocy well, in fact she's driven a mocy for at least 12 or so years, but never sat for the license.

shock horror, she's still on the tabien baan book for her mothers house in another province. Therefore she will have to attend classroom lessons (20 hours) in CM before she can take the written test. Attending classroom sessions not possible because of clash of lesson timings and her work (teacher).

Next step, in a couple of weeks time she will go home and get her mocy license in her home town, then apply to transfer both licenses to CM province.

She asked a work colleague to ask her husband (a policeman) to confirm that this is all correct. Colleague asked, reaction from policeman husband - 'no comment'.

Can you just turn up ordoyouhave to book in advance?

You can just show up. I'd recommend getting there at 830 if you're going to take the tests and get the license. It will take all day. If you only want to see the other people drive to get a feel of what the driving test is like, just show up at 1030 or 1PM and watch.

You can just show up. I'd recommend getting there at 830 if you're going to take the tests and get the license. It will take all day. If you only want to see the other people drive to get a feel of what the driving test is like, just show up at 1030 or 1PM and watch.

Actually there is a time connected to the process. They open at 8.10 and close the area to start putting everything into gear at 8.50. When I was there 2 days ago people arriving after 8.50 were told to come back the next day.

Actually there is a time connected to the process. They open at 8.10 and close the area to start putting everything into gear at 8.50. When I was there 2 days ago people arriving after 8.50 were told to come back the next day.

OK, thanks for the correction.

OK, thanks for the correction.

Thanks guys

I'm not sure if I'll have to take the full test - my international driving licence is still valid so I'm hoping I can skip some parts of the test

I just need to get my arse in gear and get a medical done - I think that's the last thing I need - I've got my work permit, my international driving licence, my Uk driving licence and some piccies - have I forgotten anything?

Medical certificate can be obtained from Klaimor Hospital, just before Tesco Hang Dong Rd on your way there.

They just take your BP and ask you if you're breathing......I think 100 Baht now.

Thanks for the info - BP should be fine - just have to remember to keep breathing ;)

Don't forget you need to bring a certificate of residence. If you use your U K licence you will not have to look at 2 hour video or do the written test or driving test. You will however have to do 2 second colour blindness test and 2 second brake reflex test. Don't know if piccies mean pictures but if it does you do not have to bring pictures they take them there and laminate it to the licence. Don't forget you have to be there between 8.10 and 8.50

Don't forget you need to bring a certificate of residence. If you use your U K licence you will not have to look at 2 hour video or do the written test or driving test. You will however have to do 2 second colour blindness test and 2 second brake reflex test. Don't know if piccies mean pictures but if it does you do not have to bring pictures they take them there and laminate it to the licence. Don't forget you have to be there between 8.10 and 8.50

Rats - I was hoping that my work permit would let me off having to have a certificate of residence

If you do need a certificate of residence, allow at least a week extra. CM Immigration are issuing them but they only do 10 a day and they have to be signed by the Director of Immigration now. There is already a backlog. Perhaps you can get by with the work permit ..... I would give it a go. Please come back and report your experience.

If you do need a certificate of residence, allow at least a week extra. CM Immigration are issuing them but they only do 10 a day and they have to be signed by the Director of Immigration now. There is already a backlog. Perhaps you can get by with the work permit ..... I would give it a go. Please come back and report your experience.

Just got back from the licence centre and a work permit is fine just as onthedarkside said