Will My Canadian Radio Receive Stations In Thailand?

wrbc

The main problem you will have is that Canada is 120 Volt 60Hz system and Thailand is 220 Volt 50Hz. This would require a step down converter/transformer. Check the radio to see if it supports Universal voltage or dual voltage. Dual voltage appliances will say something like 100/240V or 110~220vac. As for receiving stations. Radio frequencies are international standardized not like television signals which have around 3 or 4 standards.

As this is not CM specific will move it to the technology forum.

• Like 2

Unless your radio is something special or you are emotionally attached to it, I would not recommend bringing it if it is not dual voltage capable.

I brought a few small 110V stereos over because I had the room to do so and it would not cost me anything.

I ran them on transformers, not coverters, and they still failed. Except for the ones I forgot to plug into the transformer and plugged directly into the wall and just burned up. Transformers ran hot so I always unplugged them when not in use (converters ran hot also). I got a couple of years out of them, but they were inconvenient to use.

If you're interested in listening to Thai radio just buy something local. I have a unit that has radio, it's own built in amplifier, a 4 inch bass speaker with two satelite speakers, that I use as speakers for my laptop. It cost 450 baht (about $15.00 Cdn). Save the space in your luggage.

The next question I would ask is, "Is there anything worth listening to?".

Not a snide remark, I honestly wonder because I haven't put the detachable face plate on the radio in my vehicle, and I'm wondering if I should. Installing the face plate is easy. Learning all those buttons, not so much.

No, no... Canadian radios speak English (and probably French)... I doubt if they would speak Thai...

<duck>

But on a serious note... I had a car in Africa that didn't work... Japanese radio only went up to 99MHz... If they're bog standard (FM 89-108MHz?) of course they'll work... Don't expect RDS or anything fancy on them though,..

If they're mains powered do check that their PSU is universal 90-260V and not fixed at 110.

Whether you want to listen to endless advertisements for <insert ailment here> mushrooms & herbs, slimming and hair products with the occasional Thai song in between, is another story... Personally I'd use my baggage allowance for something else...

If talking FM band radios the frequency spacing here is 250 rather than 100 as in USA (and suspect Canada) so most digital receivers only will tune 99.2 or 99.3 when the station is actually on 99.25 - not good for quality.

of course not... radio waves are different in Thailand cheesy.gif

Seriously, just look at the equipment's fine print, usually on the back of yr radio, for power requirements. many electronics & plugs have dual voltage/hertz capability, for quite some time now.

If its not dual capability, bin it.