Thai Medical Sciences Dept Warn Consumers Of Threats From Low-Quality Plasticware

webfact

Medical Sciences Dept warn consumers of threats from low-quality plasticware

pl.jpg

file photo

BANGKOK, 3 May 2013 (NNT) – The Department of Medical Sciences has come out to warn the public about possible health threats from the use of low-quality plasticware.

Medical Sciences Department’s Director-General, Dr. Niphon Popattanachai, on Thursday, said that most of cheap and colorful plasticware available in local markets are found without complete information on their tags and lacking safety guarantee or food-quality labels.

Dr. Niphon stated that lab tests of these items on the Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometer (FT-IR) machine found that some are made of fake melamine, which poses health threats, including carcinogens, when exposed to acid content or high heat

As there remains no law to control or deal with fake melamine, the risk is inevitably within the discretion of consumers, said Dr. Niphon.

He has urged the public to be cautious while shopping for plasticware and to check all details that can convince them of the safety for use.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-03 footer_n.gif

Anyone know much about this subject or have good links?

It has been a hot topic in the EU & North America for the past 5 years. This is why the western "prepared" meal/food industry has invested in the labeling of its containers. The best material remains quality glassware. Remember the old style pyrex dishes and bowels?

• Like 1

Is there any product coming from China that is not a problem?

Why are you pointing the finger at China for this?

Does Thailand not have a domestic plastics industry?

Probably set up, financed and run by Chinese Thai., OK maybe that is a bad assumption on my part.

• Like 1

The best material remains quality glassware. Remember the old style pyrex dishes and bowels?

I try to avoid eating from bowels as much as possible. rolleyes.gif

I am guessing you don't like sausages then, since that is pretty much what they are wrapped with ;)

• Like 1

The best material remains quality glassware. Remember the old style pyrex dishes and bowels?

I am guessing you don't like sausages then, since that is pretty much what they are wrapped with wink.png

Aren't "sausages" here wrapped in plastic? bah.gif

• Like 1

It has been a hot topic in the EU & North America for the past 5 years. This is why the western "prepared" meal/food industry has invested in the labeling of its containers. The best material remains quality glassware. Remember the old style pyrex dishes and bowels?

A bit longer than that, more like 30 years at least in the UK. This is an old problem that the Thai's only now seem to be waking up to. I remember in the early 80's scares about dangerous clingfilm. A little over a decade later I was in India where this was suddenly national news. It seems a foreign company had a decade earlier sold its old (and now dangerous) technology to India on the cheap without mentioning possible dangers.

The Thai's are just light years behind everyone else.

I had to laugh at my wife when we had a clear out recently. I tried to get rid of her mass of hideous plastic glasses, only to be told not they were very expensive, 'special plastic'.

Edited by allan michaud

This is going araound Australia, and Europe, have hers of thisduring my travels and i think it will pop up more and more in the future, i think this is justa warm up before the plastic is banned altogether, tupperware is introducing a new line in glass storage,, likee the old Pyrex.

Do not use plastic or plastic wrap in the microwave (food and beverages)

Does this include the plastic wrap on the foot long hot dogs at 7/11 that they alwys pop into the microwave?

"bowels"

ha ha

"He has urged the public to be cautious while shopping for plastic-ware and to check all details that can convince them of the safety for use".

This article would have been useful if the reader was told how to check the details.

How to check:

Avoid plastic containers with recycling codes #3 #6 #7

#3 or "v" (PVC or vinyl) Polyvinyle Cloride

#6 or"PS" (Polystyrene)

#7 or "other" (Polycarbonate) Bisphenol A (BPA)

Do not use plastic or plastic wrap in the microwave (food and beverages)

Geez, and I've been microwaving with M Wrap for years. coffee1.gif

post-52906-0-88972400-1367570745_thumb.j

Edited by Lodestone

Yep, leaves a nasty taste in the mouthblink.pngbah.gif

I am struggling to figure out what "fake" melamine is. Melamine itself has been used in cookware for years and has approval in the US, the EU and the WHO for contact with foods. This is not the same as the case when melamine was added illegally and in massive quantities to milk in China.

Is there any product coming from China that is not a problem?

Why are you pointing the finger at China for this?

Does Thailand not have a domestic plastics industry?

Probably set up, financed and run by Chinese Thai., OK maybe that is a bad assumption on my part.

Maybe because China is guilty of this too.

I try to show this kind of news to the wife every chance I get, it will take 10 or 20 of these reports to get her to change her ways ... of course it could take one call from the MIL, everything the MIL says is gospel.

In the USA I spent a couple of years replacing all plastic containers with glass. Then dumped everything before moving to Thailand two years ago. And here it's very difficult to find glassware except at a high premium price at expensive stores. What an mistake just to save Customs duty and freight! Why doesn't the government reduce import duties on beneficial products and only tax the harmful stuff?