About Health Insurance

my gf is coming to the uk on a visitor visa shortly. Is it best to organise health insurance in thailand for the visit or organise it in the uk as if she was a resident? apologies if i have the wrong forum.

Hi Villan

Surely she would be covered by the national health service whilst in the UK.

Alternatively she could buy travel insurance in Thailand for the duration of her trip, which would afford her X amount of medical expenses.

TBWG :o

my gf is coming to the uk on a visitor visa shortly. Is it best to organise health insurance in thailand for the visit or organise it in the uk as if she was a resident? apologies if i have the wrong forum.

Villan,

I am currently trying to organise insurance for my gf. I think I'm going to plump for BUPA Thailand

An alternative is:

WorldNomads

Cheers,

djmm

I am pretty sure that the NHS is only available to residents or those on tourist visas who are citizens of countries which have reciprocal medical care agreements with the UK (eg, EU, Australia and NZ). Emergency departments I'd assume take anyone who is in genuine need for medical attention. It is just a matter of if they would bill you or not.

Very few UK companies will cover non-residents (been there, done that). Best to organise it in Thailand before you go.

Ignore my last post...

Basically, you must be resident in the UK....regardless of nationality (even british!)

Full info here

Otherwise, you must come from one of the Bilateral Healthcare Agreement Countries –

European Economic Area countries (EEA):

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK, plus Iceland Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland by special arrangement.

Nationals of and UK nationals in, the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Gibraltar, Yugoslavia i.e. Serbia & Montenegro, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Macedonia, Moldova, New Zealand, Romania, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

Residents irrespective of nationality of the following countries: Anguilla, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Channel Islands, Falkland Islands, Iceland, Isle of Man, Montserrat, St. Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands.

An alternative is:

WorldNomads

On the World Nomads site it says the following:

"World Nomads Travel Insurance is available to residents of the following countries. Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, United States and United Kingdom residents can buy cover for trips anywhere in the world. Residents of all other countries can still buy cover for the whole duration of their trip as long as they intend to travel to Australia or New Zealand during the course of that trip."

Another possibility:

Atlas America

Edited by Tarragona