Help My Package Is Stuck At Customs/fda

infinity11

Vitamins and supplements.
Lady said it can only be destroyed and not sent back.
I asked her to release the legal items.
She would neither tell me which ones were not allowed nor can she release some of them.

She would not except a money offer.
Sounds like I am stuck but do not want to give up.

Helpful suggestions please.
I think i need an agent/contact/friend in the FDA Thailand.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Put this down as a lesson learned and walk away from it...wink.png

A contact in the Thai FDA will not help you...you need a friend in Thai customs.

Techincally speaking the lady is 100% correct...if there are objectionable items in your shipment..they do have the fully legal right to destroy the lot, they are not there to shift through your shipment separating what is legal and what is not for you

Thai FDA are just like anybody else, they just want money, but of course they are not going to talk about it on the phone, who would ???

Just take the risk to visit them and bring some cash !

Thai FDA are just like anybody else, they just want money, but of course they are not going to talk about it on the phone, who would ???

ok..but the FDA have nothing to do with this matter...its customs the OP needs to deal with...the FDA will not go up against customs

ok..but the FDA have nothing to do with this matter...its customs the OP needs to deal with...the FDA will not go up against customs

The customs needs FDA approval to sign on it apparently.

I think the suggestion to go in person might be a good idea however we need to find out where exactly it is.

Thanks.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any success stories?

People, do not label products vitamins or supplements.

Put this down as a lesson learned and walk away from it...wink.png

A contact in the Thai FDA will not help you...you need a friend in Thai customs.

Techincally speaking the lady is 100% correct...if there are objectionable items in your shipment..they do have the fully legal right to destroy the lot, they are not there to shift through your shipment separating what is legal and what is not for you

Soutpeel is right.

All vitamins and supplements need FDA approval before they can be sold or imported into Thailand, same as most countries.

FDA will not sign over a random batch of vitamins and supplements and Customs will not release until they do.

I think you will waste a lot of energy and potentially money trying to solve this, only to be frustrated and get nowhere.

You were unlucky getting caught by customs as some get through, but it is a bit of a lottery...

What shipment method did you use - Fedex, Amazon, Online pharmacy, USPost etc?

It's not worth the effort. I distribute confectionery products in Thailand and when I first started sending samples the first few cartons were stopped despite using DHL. My Thai distributor had import license but even they could not get it thru' FDA as these were new products that have not been Pre- approved. And now you are talking about 'vitamins and supplements'! Don't waste your time and money. Just get a friend who is coming here to stuff them in his luggage. It has a higher chance of going through that way.

• Like 1

Sent USPS as done before (not UPS.)

FDA = Federal Drug Administration.

NO. Thailand is not a federation, so federal has no meaning here. You are confusing it with the US one. It's the Thai FOOD and drug administration.

I got my package stuck in a hole at the gas station once. Had to pay a hefty fee to get it out!

I got mine stuck in a pickle slicer once. The pickle slicer was really a small lady and she didn't appreciate it. tongue.png

• Like 1

I currently have a FedEx package with hotel toiletry samples ie shampoos etc for a major hotel chain to approve but nothing I can do will change the minds of the FDA and Customs even though the supplier is one of the largest producers of these products in Asis. I just put down as a learning curve and move on.

The Food and Drug Administration will not get involved with approving the Import of one package of anything.

Their function is to approve Importation of an item as a general, overall approval, after which anyone with the right documentation can Import that Product.

Patrick

Thanks all for the input.

The package was well over one kilo which is also a custom's flag.

Yes having someone bring the stuff is a great idea but they had to take carry on only to make sure they caught their connecting flight.

NOW HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS AT ALL WITH THESE THINGS???

Yes giving up is easy but not without some trying before, package was VERY expensive to purchase and ship.

We will have to try the in person money offer next i think.

Yes having someone bring the stuff is a great idea but they had to take carry on only to make sure they caught their connecting flight.

Yes giving up is easy but not without some trying before, package was VERY expensive to purchase and ship.

Bear in mind that is the "Supplements" are not FDA approved for Import into Thailand the person carrying them for you may be subject to sanctions if they are stopped at Customs.

It's not something I would risk.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Bear in mind that is the "Supplements" are not FDA approved for Import into Thailand the person carrying them for you may be subject to sanctions if they are stopped at Customs.

It's not something I would risk.

Patrick

Worst that could happen if it was not too much was that it gets impounded. As long as your not importing things that are on the "drug" list in general your fine flying and such.

We got through customs with many of these things before more than once, no problem at all.

I think you all know customs in bkk has been a piece of cake but that doesn't mean you should push it.

Thanks again,

BTW We may actually be making some headway, knock on wood.

We got through customs with many of these things before more than once, no problem at all.

I think you all know customs in bkk has been a piece of cake but that doesn't mean you should push it.

Thanks again,

BTW We may actually be making some headway, knock on wood.

I order a lot of vitamins and fish oil too so far never a problem. Big knock on wood.. But many things just go undetected under the radar they can't check it all so that it gets through is no assurance its legal.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats.

Sorry the price went up 50%. Can you say how you got it done?

a smart hard working thai who knows something about business and how things operate here

the good news (insider info) is now we know exactly who to go to and talk to should we want more shipments