Now For The First Time In Chiangmai - Haring - Haring - Haring...

rcpilot

As a great lover of HARING I want to share this with all Dutch and Belgians, living in Chiang Mai:

Yes, HARING HARING HARING (For non Dutch/Belgians: herring).
At Dutch Jan's Sunshine bar upcoming Tuesday (May 7), Soi 2, Moon Muang, starting around 6 pm.
Sold at cost, so a non-commercial event. See it as a bit late tribute to our new (by then 1 week old) king!
haring1.jpg

haring2.jpg
haring3.jpg
And for all non-Dutch/Belgians living in Chiang Mai, this is how you eat herring:
haring5.jpg
haring4.jpg
Oh, what to do untill Tuesday May 9th...
  • Like 2

I aint dutch but do you have Frikandel especial with onions and curry sauce ??? and maybe Croquettes and maye Kasse souffle married to a dutch bird for 10years (total nightmare but I digress) but i did enjoy the odd Bitter Boller

DK

Wow. nieuwe haaring!

last week I discovered the guy making kroketten, frikandel, satay chicken enz. Very tasty.

I also saw some of his food at Rimpings.

I aint dutch but do you have Frikandel especial with onions and curry sauce ??? and maybe Croquettes and maye Kasse souffle married to a dutch bird for 10years (total nightmare but I digress) but i did enjoy the odd Bitter Boller

DK

You can find al that stuff at Rimping supermarket.

DooDee pub / restaurant.

The Wall restaurant had it before , now have new owner so not sure about it.

Sunset from dutch Jan have frikandel and bitterbal or kroket..

And a nice dutch man Dirk living in Doi Saket makes them for some restaurants. The only one that not use MSG and has a legit company.

you can find him on bahtsold.com

Good luck and enjoy.

You can say that the herring is eaten raw. The fisherman treat the catched fish by cutting into the intestine and put them in a vessel with salt. the substance which is excreted by the intestine allows for a certain degree of digestion. Comparable with fermentation. The second week of June, the trawlers bring the new herring, also called green herring, ashore. These are the best, still a bit harsh. This is an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids.
I'll be there!

Edited by Joop50
  • Like 2

Needs a liberal sprinkling of nam pla on it.

I think both of you confuse this with the pickled variety, which is indeed sold at Rimping (a Danish brand?) and is indeed helped by some nam pla. (Also very good to 'yam' it, as in the Thai spicy salad.)

This one is different, had it once. It tastes like the entire North Sea condensed into a couple inches of greasiness. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

>Needs a liberal sprinkling of nam pla on it.

I think both of you confuse this with the pickled variety, which is indeed sold at Rimping (a Danish brand?) and is indeed helped by some nam pla. (Also very good to 'yam' it, as in the Thai spicy salad.)

This one is different, had it once. It tastes like the entire North Sea condensed into a couple inches of greasiness. wink.png

I was talking about frikandel , bitterbal and kroketten, I know how haring looks and taste like,

Did you not have your glasses on when you where reading my post Winnie ?

Thanks,

Waiting till Tuesday May 7!? Hmmmm. Seems like awful long time. Already salivating! Any chance to purchase a dozen now or tomorrow or earlier?

You can ask Dirk from Dutch Snacks in Doi Saket,he is the supplier for the

herring. dutchsnacksthailand dot com

I'm sorry I did not know the rules, but here's the English version:

At may 3 th I also was a member of the testpanel by the first delivery of the Dutch herring in Chiang Mai.

Really fat as herring must be and with a little onions they were delicious...........!

I'm happy to say that the second order arrived in Chiang Mai today and I'm also happy to say that coming tuesday, may the 7th, there's a real Herring Party at:

"Dutch Jan's Sunshine bar!" (In the top you can find the address, thanks to RCPILOT).

I can assure you that this will be a happening again !

See you there !!

DK

DooDee pub / restaurant.

The Wall restaurant had it before , now have new owner so not sure about it.

Sunset from dutch Jan have frikandel and bitterbal or kroket..

And a nice dutch man Dirk living in Doi Saket makes them for some restaurants. The only one that not use MSG and has a legit company.

you can find him on bahtsold.com

Good luck and enjoy.

Don't forget tonight is the Herringparty!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I want some herring now. Where can I go buy a cardboard plate of herring right now? Not on some specified date. I want now

You need to contact dirk from Dutch snacks. : www.dutchsnacksthailand.com

Now the Dutch New Herring(catch 2013) is in Chiang Mai and they are fantastic!!!!!

Prefer a kipper or two, myself smile.png

what does kipper taste like ,can you substitute with this

I like this mellow salted fish deep friend with sticky rice

attachicon.gif119070455132401.jpg

Kippers are smoked Herring,best ones smoked over oak shavings,the inferior ones are just coloured with dyes, while i believe the Dutch ones are pickled, so both have different taste,I just have to make do with John West tinned kippers. regards Worgeordie

• Like 1