Yingluck Sues Thai Rath Cartoonist For Defamation

webfact

Freedom House just released its annual report on the freedom of the press and for the second year in a row, Thailand was rated "Not Free".

Yingluck suing a newspaper over an editorial cartoon won't help next year's report.

Especially as the suit was filed on world press freedom day. Duh.

• Like 2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post number 90, which returned 'no permission' when I clicked quote:

The BP journalist was not wrong. The whole issue was denial of freedom of the press with pressure brought upon the BP editor by Thaksin (or his lackeys). That he was unable to produce his source is not surprising given the Thaksin fear factor at the time.

As for Yingluck's hypocrisy on the member of her party, that also stands. The sexual connotations over her 'business' meeting at the Four Seasons was wrong & I condemn them. It does not justify her lack of action over her own party member.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

...anyone with half a brain can see clearly that neither of the accusations are true...

...whereas the cartoon caption does display philosophical wisdom.....

....much to Yingluck's dismay....

(..better a flattering lie than an uncomplimentary truth...)

In response to post number 90, which returned 'no permission' when I clicked quote:

The BP journalist was not wrong. The whole issue was denial of freedom of the press with pressure brought upon the BP editor by Thaksin (or his lackeys). That he was unable to produce his source is not surprising given the Thaksin fear factor at the time.

As for Yingluck's hypocrisy on the member of her party, that also stands. The sexual connotations over her 'business' meeting at the Four Seasons was wrong & I condemn them. It does not justify her lack of action over her own party member.

Just for clarity sake, your post is not in response to #90 (mine), but is a reply to a now-deleted post by muttley (the deletion threw off the numbering).

I agree with your post, btw.

Just for clarity sake, your post is not in response to #90 (mine), but is a reply to a now-deleted post by muttley (the deletion threw off the numbering).

I agree with your post, btw.

Thanks for the correction. That explains why I had 'no permission' to quote his post.

I am surprised that the good prostitues of Thailand have not launched a class action and sued Yingluck for being offended to be compared to a prostitute.

As prostitution is illegal, I doubt that any women are going to come out and say they are offended and file a class action,

I love Mme. Yingluck almost as much as Barry O seems to, but suing a cartoonist is ridiculous. If you are a politician, you have to expect lots of criticism, and to be the constant object of satire and scorn, as is seen on this forum every day.

This should get laughed out of court, if it ever goes that far.

Panel proposed for PM's libel case
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Police are considering setting up a committee to work on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's libel case against cartoonist Chai Rachawat.

Pol Colonel Patarapon Sanitwong Na Ayutthaya, the superintendent at Dusit police station, said he would propose the appointment of a committee to look into the case to ensure fairness and thoroughness.

He would put the proposal to Metropolitan Police Area 1 next week and the request could be passed on to the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

He would not summon Chai for the moment, but would study the submitted evidence first, he said.

Yingluck on Friday had her lawyers file a defamation lawsuit against Thai Rath cartoonist Chai Rachawat for comparing her to a prostitute.

They charged that Chai - real name is Somchai Katanyutanan - with three counts: insulting an official during an official event, defaming another person via publicity and violating the Computer-related Crimes Act, which prohibits posting defamatory comments against others on the Internet.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-05

Meanwhile the media stranglehold gets tighter as the BP is reporting this morning that the Pheu Thai Party is requesting the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission to closely scrutinize the content of all television and radio programs for inappropriate remarks about the premier.

So it now looks like she is going to get a police committee to help her nail this dastardly fellow who would have a go at her to the wall.

When she was only trying to explain the true situation in Thailand as per : "My Speech In Mongolia Summed Up Lessons Learnt, Yingluck Says"

Meanwhile the media stranglehold gets tighter as the BP is reporting this morning that the Pheu Thai Party is requesting the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission to closely scrutinize the content of all television and radio programs for inappropriate remarks about the premier.

That's quite funny, because didn't he post it on Facebook?

• Like 2

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Police are considering setting up a committee to work on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's libel case against cartoonist Chai Rachawat.

Pol Colonel Patarapon Sanitwong Na Ayutthaya, the superintendent at Dusit police station, said he would propose the appointment of a committee to look into the case to ensure fairness and thoroughness.

He would put the proposal to Metropolitan Police Area 1 next week and the request could be passed on to the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

He would not summon Chai for the moment, but would study the submitted evidence first, he said.

Yingluck on Friday had her lawyers file a defamation lawsuit against Thai Rath cartoonist Chai Rachawat for comparing her to a prostitute.

They charged that Chai - real name is Somchai Katanyutanan - with three counts: insulting an official during an official event, defaming another person via publicity and violating the Computer-related Crimes Act, which prohibits posting defamatory comments against others on the Internet.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-05-05

They ARE joking....... aren't they?

Edited by bigbamboo

How can anyone not surmise that she was directly meant by the offending 'piece' . . . that would be hypocritical. On the other hand, how can she be so thin-skinned as to be so offended by it to the extent of suing, pushing her position towards the lese majeste laws?

Is it pleasant to be constantly lampooned, made fun of and ridiculed? Of course not, but she signed up for public scrutiny . . . Good grief, she has provided more fodder for the clowns and cartoonists of this world with her ridiculous touch of the vapours

• Like 1

How can anyone not surmise that she was directly meant by the offending 'piece' . . . that would be hypocritical. On the other hand, how can she be so thin-skinned as to be so offended by it to the extent of suing, pushing her position towards the lese majeste laws?

Is it pleasant to be constantly lampooned, made fun of and ridiculed? Of course not, but she signed up for public scrutiny . . . Good grief, she has provided more fodder for the clowns and cartoonists of this world with her ridiculous touch of the vapours

It just proves that she is not strong enough for the position

• Like 2

The Nation on Sunday

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-05-05

They ARE joking....... aren't they?

Consider that Deputy Chief of Police ran the election in the name of PTP, and the numerous "investigation" done by DSI against Abhisit and Suthep, then I think they aren't joking.

It just proves that she is not strong enough for the position

You're quite right, she's not, and I'm no virulent anti-Thaksin clone - politics in Thailand has pretty much always been dirty, irrespective of which side/military governed . . . I just don't think Yingluck knew what she was letting herself in for and was/is woefully underprepared because she let herself be pressured/cajoled to do it

• Like 1

To be fair I would expect in any country with a female premier, characterizing or alluding them to be a whore would land any cartoonist etc in a bit of hot water.

You are probably correct but the cartoonist did not characterize the PM as being a whore.

To be fair I would expect in any country with a female premier, characterizing or alluding them to be a whore would land any cartoonist etc in a bit of hot water.

You are probably correct but the cartoonist did not characterize the PM as being a whore.

Fair enough, i did not really read it. mountain out of mole hill.

I suggest you read up on some of the things written about Margaret Thatcher when she was PM.

• Like 1