How Can I Trim Down My Living Expenses In Chiang Mai.

Ringmybells

You are already living in one of the least expensive cities in the world that offers a high standard of living, good medical care, and low crime. Personally, I'm mystified why anyone would move a young family to Thailand, unless you are making good money. I agree with some of the other posts about feeding your kids street food. I won't even eat street food, because most of the vendors don't have access to clean running water. Start cooking at home and take advantage of the fresh fruit and vegetable markets. Also, get those kids out of here during the smokey season for a little fresh air. sad.png

We are travelling the world and stopping by Chiang Mai for one year. We like it but we are going back in May next year stopping by Europe for a few months on the way back home.

I agree I should start cooking my own food even though it is more expensive to cook than to eat at my next door neighbor restaurant.

Edited by momoftwins
  • Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of the posters here...putting them at an international school is about 36k per term and if they are todds and you are comfortable teaching them at home, it's a huge expense you dont have to put up at this young an age.

Cutting on rent is an option you shoudl look seriously into and I agree you should cook at home more often; the bills shrink, kids eat more healthy and you get the family bonding time.

Great you dont drink or smoke...that's such a saver. eating cheese as treat is a way of enjoying life. Don't cut back on everything till you dont enjoy living anymore...it become rather sad then.

$1250 per month with 2 kids is really bare minimum, you should consider seriously improving your cash streams. Take care and best of luck

We pay much more than 36k per term for each todd but we are fine with that.

Can't really move because we already signed a one year lease which ends Feb. next year.

I totally agree with buying less cheese!

As a family of 3, one very young one, we live on 50k/month, though 10k of that is a car loan. 25k covers essentials of rent, water, electricity, internet, food, all stuff for the baby and diesel. We could live on that, but not much fun. We have 1500B a week spending money each.

On top of that 50k, we save money and take holidays, usually a few every year, though this year we will go to England, so just the one.

You should cut 3k a month off the electricity. We use air-conditioning only when necessary, in April, until last week.

"yau dja kwai"? I bet this might be "YouTiao" which is a long cylinder of dough which puffs up when plunked in boiling oil. The way you spell it might be Cantonese or another dialect if we are speaking about the same unhealthful food item.

Yes, stay away from that. But if you can find the whole wheat flat dough cakes that are charcoal baked after being stuck to the inside of a 55 gallon metal drum, then this is the best thing to have. They are sprinkled with sesame seeds before baking. These are called ShaoBing, and where I used to go the street vendors, they would sell them by the hundreds in the early morning. Pretty wonderful. It is the charcoal baking that does the trick.

"I agree I should start cooking my own food even though it is more expensive to cook than to eat at my next door neighbor restaurant."

Why not just eat at your next door neighbor's?

Because I agree with those who suggested that home cooked meals are much healthier.

Because I agree with those who suggested that home cooked meals are much healthier.

This.

post-64232-0-86918600-1367833676_thumb.j post-64232-0-20301100-1367833682_thumb.j post-64232-0-47521300-1367833688_thumb.j

Cheaper than supermarkets, and pesticide controlled. I'm buying more and more in quantity, then freeze the stuff. You never quite know what they have though, but that makes it more exciting I suppose. ;)

• Like 1

This.

attachicon.gifIMG_20130506_123613_20130506164355801.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20130506_123633_20130506164447713.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20130506_123954_20130506164529958.jpg

Cheaper than supermarkets, and pesticide controlled. I'm buying more and more in quantity, then freeze the stuff. You never quite know what they have though, but that makes it more exciting I suppose. wink.png

Where's that?

My first glance into this thread indicates to me that the OP is not short in fund; rather, she's just a wife and mom (if not trolling) who likes to save than waste while not depriving herself and the family of necessities. People have different perspectives on living standards. She doesn't mind eating street food, doesn't like shopping at Rimping, doesn't want her family living in a shed, doesn;t spend much on entertainments. To me, nothing's wrong with that. Gee, if the OP stops buying cheese, the family don't drink milk like water, and stop switching the air on all the time, she would almost be on par with my wife!

Asking the TV expats on how to save is like asking the question: can you live comfortably.under 100k a month for a family of 4 (excluding tuition and medicals)!

Am I glad that my kid was out of the international school, otherwise, tuition alone runs over 40k a month!

You got it....I am that kind of a wife who likes to save without denying my kids the life style I want them to have. My husband and I don't drink milk like water but the kids do like milk and they drink a lot of it every single day and I am not going to ask them to drink less milk because I want to save. We use two ACs every night and we do like cheese but I can certainly live on less cheese in order to save. Hey I am not a troll, I am a real person, a wife and a mom.

noble a wife and a mom just like leave it to beaver. humans are the only creatures that continue to drink milk after weaning. gosh wife and a mom two things

You are already living in one of the least expensive cities in the world that offers a high standard of living, good medical care, and low crime. Personally, I'm mystified why anyone would move a young family to Thailand, unless you are making good money. I agree with some of the other posts about feeding your kids street food. I won't even eat street food, because most of the vendors don't have access to clean running water. Start cooking at home and take advantage of the fresh fruit and vegetable markets. Also, get those kids out of here during the smokey season for a little fresh air. sad.png

We are travelling the world and stopping by Chiang Mai for one year. We like it but we are going back in May next year stopping by Europe for a few months on the way back home.

I agree I should start cooking my own food even though it is more expensive to cook than to eat at my next door neighbor restaurant.

well very best wishes :) if you're stopping by Europe things can't be that bad (thankfully) good luck

• Like 1

Wow stopping by Europe. Did you know that Europe is NOT a country. Gosh wife and mom I can't get over it

• Like 1

This thread is very interesting and civilized, with many offering sensible advices. The OP, in particular, seems down to earth and polite. If I have to guess, the OP's hubby is probably a diplomat or work for a private corporation where part of the expenses are paid. Personally, I had friends like that in Thailand when I and my brother-in-laws enrolled in an interntional school in Thailand. My wife couldn't attend cos she was pregnant with our kid. We were on private fund! In hindsight, people then probably thought we were rich and privileged but we never realized it. Even till this day, we don't look at ourselves differently. We eat street food, we buy cheap vegetables and fruits at Sunday market and flea markets (talaat nut) all the time. My wife loves it and so do I whom is the one carrying all the heavy stuff.

Wow stopping by Europe. Did you know that Europe is NOT a country. Gosh wife and mom I can't get over i

Op....Look at the picture.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/609890-harley-davidson-mechanic-return-to-cm-acfter-working-in-the-states-for-years/page-3

...and naming the photo Matrix! giggle.gif Nuff said.

Please don't take his comments to heart, a lot of good advice so far but for me I would be examining any aspect of moving if you only here for a year and you and children have settled where you are (as you seem to be with food next door). Any move "outwards" may be offset by increased travel costs or time. I know time is "free' but there are better ways to spend it...and travel with children can be problematic with heat/sleep/irritability etc.

I think you are doing really good so far and ought to be commended for that. Maybe given limited time here, age of children, you are doing the best you can...stressing over this will take away from the quality time with children or happiness with CM generally. If you have to cut expenses then you have to move. If its only a desire to reduce (and not a necessity) let it ride and enjoy yourself.

ps....I love street food but even I have moved up from the 30 baht dishes.....just a little more and you get a heap better quality,often better venues, and better selection of dishes.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

"yau dja kwai" is in Cantonese - the same as "YouTiao" in Mandarin.

DouJiang is soybean milk which you can find anywhere at B5 per pouch. Just tell them not to add sugar or less sugar.

You can forget about ShaoBin in Thailand. You could hardly find it in HK or Taiwan. ChouTaoFu?... Only a few places exist in HK where you can buy and don't measure up to the old days. That black-looking stuff is fried bean curd stewed in tea? I'm very poor in PinYin and I go with what I know how to pronounce. Neither does my wife know pinyin. But my wife likes to boasts that her dogs know Cantonese, Mandarin, Shanghanese, English, and Thai. Well....

Edited by muchogra

Please forgive me for my post #76 if some readers read it like sarcasm from my part. No, no puns intended whatsoever especially to OldChinaHam! Boy, sometimes, we write without thinking what others might construe reading our posts, and that's what I just did! I made a mistake clearly!

53,000 baht a month for 4 people in Chiang Mai.........honestly that's too low! If you were here by yourself that's fine but what you're probably finding is not enough is buying new clothes and shoes school expenses and stuff that you just have to pay for so your looking at ways to cut your quality of living.

others will say "get a cheaper place to live" or "move away from the city" and "stop buying cheese" geez. Is this why you moved to Thailand so you can eat street food live far away from the city and have no money for the occasional soapy?

If you want to reduce your monthly expenses and still retain your current standard of living then go buy a house or else I can't see this working. If you can't afford to do that I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and i'm concerned about the well being of your kids not just now but in the future.

You're purchasing power is only going to get less and less as the years go on. Seriously the other posters were right, you need to increase your monthly wage!

I agree with most of the posters here...putting them at an international school is about 36k per term and if they are todds and you are comfortable teaching them at home, it's a huge expense you dont have to put up at this young an age.

Cutting on rent is an option you shoudl look seriously into and I agree you should cook at home more often; the bills shrink, kids eat more healthy and you get the family bonding time.

Great you dont drink or smoke...that's such a saver. eating cheese as treat is a way of enjoying life. Don't cut back on everything till you dont enjoy living anymore...it become rather sad then.

$1250 per month with 2 kids is really bare minimum, you should consider seriously improving your cash streams. Take care and best of luck

We pay much more than 36k per term for each todd but we are fine with that.

Can't really move because we already signed a one year lease which ends Feb. next year.

I totally agree with buying less cheese!

If you can't save on rent you will find it hard to save much at all as you are only looking at a few Baht here and there. I almost exclusively eat at home which is not an issue as I love cooking. Monthly food bill is around 2.6 - 3k which I could if I had to, half. If I did I would have to knock fish and seafood on the head and there is no chance I'm doing that! I could save maybe 1000 Baht a month which is nothing compared to what I would have to do without.

Short pause to think.....

Upon reflection I don't think I could save 1000 Baht a month really as I would have to buy something else to replace the fish / seafood or buy more of what I already have. Either way it's going to cost me something so perhaps a more realistic saving would be 5-600 Baht.

What's the biggest source of protein available in CM? Chicken seems pretty cheap everywhere as does duck. Members in Issan seem to be paying half or less for pork than I do (Samui) but I can get fish/ seafood much cheaper. Shrimp is usually around the 150-170 Baht a kilo while red/ white snapper is around 170-180. Try to buy in season local produce I guess.

• Like 1

If you want to reduce your monthly expenses and still retain your current standard of living then go buy a house or else I can't see this working. If you can't afford to do that I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and i'm concerned about the well being of your kids not just now but in the future.

Seems to me that the OP is looking into ways not to blow money rather than a serious need to save it.

You have two people selling the same thing. One charges 5000 while the other 6000, which one to you choose and why?

• Like 1

Home cooking is the solution, I always cook a minimum of 10 portions at a time, and stow the filled PE-containers in the freezer: i.e. 460ml Lentil soup 15THB,460ml Curry Padang with chicken 20THB, Rye bread, one loaf 45 THB. We only eat Kao Kong or unpolished rice, see graph.

Energy saving: Aircon only during the night inside the sleeping room, Groundwater by pump, shopping by MC, luggage rack present.

Our Big-C Extra has a policy, that they will give you any item up to 500 THB for free, if the scanned price is higher than the shelf price. Keep your eyes open, scan inside the shop, pay your bill, proceed to the service counter and receive your refund. This is my personal hobby, when shopping.

post-8625-0-56464800-1367860309_thumb.jp

• Like 1

as many have said before.. you can reduce your rent, electric and food bills.. don't eat at street stalls..

it's generally low quality for the money. it's much cheaper to cook at home for the amount of money

you're spending on that. cut back on extra western food you don't need to eat everyday.. cheese can

be a special treat, but the price of it here is OTT for the amount you can buy. shop around. some items

at Big C are cheaper at Tesco.. sometimes the other way round. sometimes Rimping has a better price.

look at the weekly adverts. turn the AC down..and when you are not home or not using it.. turn off

non-essential electrics. lights off. AC off at the switch. no keeping electronics on standby.. save the

planet while you're at it. your rent is kind of high. you can find cheaper. 8,000 or less. bike instead of

songtaews.. you're throwing away money paying other people to get you around, when you can get

there yourself.

don't imagine because the prices are less compared to western prices that you're getting a good deal..

consider the local economy and live on that level.. or near to it as a western family can get.

Edited by tigergrl
  • Like 1

53,000 baht a month for 4 people in Chiang Mai.........honestly that's too low! If you were here by yourself that's fine but what you're probably finding is not enough is buying new clothes and shoes school expenses and stuff that you just have to pay for so your looking at ways to cut your quality of living.

others will say "get a cheaper place to live" or "move away from the city" and "stop buying cheese" geez. Is this why you moved to Thailand so you can eat street food live far away from the city and have no money for the occasional soapy?

You're purchasing power is only going to get less and less as the years go on. Seriously the other posters were right, you need to increase your monthly wage!

Please don't be concern about my kids their college funds are all set up as a result of simple living for good saving!

• Like 1

well very best wishes smile.png if you're stopping by Europe things can't be that bad (thankfully) good luck

Thanks! Life is actually quite good...but if possible, it doesn't hurt to save for rainy days:-)

The rent does sound like your best bet. It would be hard to reduce your food budget even if you cooked yourself.

However, if you want to make sure that you are eating inexpensive, healthy food, there are lots of places in Chiang Mai on the Happy Cow vegetarian map that fit the bill. Many of them charge 30 baht for 3 different dishes with brown (or white) rice. If you want some meat that you do not have to cook yourself, the roast chicken places in the markets are tasty and cheap.

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/searchmap.php?distance=25&list%5B%5D=vegan&list%5B%5D=vegetarian&list%5B%5D=friendly&list%5B%5D=store&address=chiang+mai&lat=&lon=&image2.x=24&image2.y=11

Yeah 30 Baht will give you some real problems! They are not all the same! Better to get a double portion with rice for 70 B at a reputable place than eat off the street! Being a restaurant owner I could be biased somewhat!