Best Ex Pat Bar Patong Beach

timaloy

Hi all...me and my wife are here for about a year....need some tips etc on life in Phuket... what's the best ex pat bar, i can visit where i may get some decent advice etc on life on the island....

scotty......im intrigued...why wouldn't my wife feel comfortable....or am i really naive ...first time in this part of the world,although you could say am well travelled, so any advice is gratefully received,,,cheers

• Like 1

Patong is a good place IMO, i just know some expat women who feel uncomfortable around alot of expat men with thai girls as they cant hold a conversation with the girls. Im just saying that these places i refer to are very casual, not overly pretty places but comfortable for everyone.

• Like 2

Scruffy Murphy's on Bangla Road is one of my favourites,although the Irish Beer is expensive.The Aussie Bar a few doors down is also is a great place to watch the world go by.
I'm sure any bar you go into in Patong will be filled to the rafters with 'Experts' on Thailand though!

• Like 1

Once you get your fill of Bangla Rd, there are some quiet little bars along Soi Sawatdeerak that are nice to visit for an evening. Have a few drinks, a bite to eat, shoot some pool, get to know some locals out the glitz of Bangla.

Surin : twin Palms catch

Phuket town : brasserie, Michaels,

Chalong : Chalong bear garden

Patong : Soi cowboy

Karon : Otools

Kata : boat house , re ka ta, ska bar, Sabai corner,Reggae bar,

Rawai : stoned crab , orange house, tropical sands guesthouse,

Most of my haunts all good bars

Edited by Jaybonnaza

Try the Mai Thai bar Soi Eric.Very popular with Expats.They used to have good forum going but unfortunately Ncke the owner was killed in a bike crash a few months ago and has finished now.Last I heard Nickes wife Ead was keeping the bar going.

You brought your wife to Patong lor? :-)

Just head for Bangla. Plenty of good bars around Sansabai and Nanai road too.

I'm always puzzled when people say "why bring your wife" as though every guy has low moral values and it's compulsory to sleep with a bar girl , every single country in the world has some sort of prostitution, but how many blokes take a lady of the night in the UK, USA, Oz etc and think, hello i'll through money at her, get married, have kids, get divorced, through more money at her, give her the house, but i was proud to have them as there wife's, it just wouldn't happen on a daily bases in other countries, pretty woman the movie i thought was fictional, but in Thailand it's reality. i've listened to all the B/S and having to defend there decisions saying "well they've got to support family, no welfare",etc, tell them to get off there backsides and find work, i don't know one relationship from that background that is what you would call normal, happy or stable. obviously guys are going to defend there decisions as mentioned, but let those that have been ripped apart speak out, as for good expat bars, years ago the place was full of great characters, every bar had something, thoses days have long gone coffee1.gif

I'm always puzzled when people say "why bring your wife" as though every guy has low moral values and it's compulsory to sleep with a bar girl , every single country in the world has some sort of prostitution, but how many blokes take a lady of the night in the UK, USA, Oz etc and think, hello i'll through money at her, get married, have kids, get divorced, through more money at her, give her the house, but i was proud to have them as there wife's, it just wouldn't happen on a daily bases in other countries, pretty woman the movie i thought was fictional, but in Thailand it's reality. i've listened to all the B/S and having to defend there decisions saying "well they've got to support family, no welfare",etc, tell them to get off there backsides and find work, i don't know one relationship from that background that is what you would call normal, happy or stable. obviously guys are going to defend there decisions as mentioned, but let those that have been ripped apart speak out, as for good expat bars, years ago the place was full of great characters, every bar had something, thoses days have long gone

Erm.... yeah.

• Like 1

I'm always puzzled when people say "why bring your wife" as though every guy has low moral values and it's compulsory to sleep with a bar girl , every single country in the world has some sort of prostitution, but how many blokes take a lady of the night in the UK, USA, Oz etc and think, hello i'll through money at her, get married, have kids, get divorced, through more money at her, give her the house, but i was proud to have them as there wife's, it just wouldn't happen on a daily bases in other countries, pretty woman the movie i thought was fictional, but in Thailand it's reality. i've listened to all the B/S and having to defend there decisions saying "well they've got to support family, no welfare",etc, tell them to get off there backsides and find work, i don't know one relationship from that background that is what you would call normal, happy or stable. obviously guys are going to defend there decisions as mentioned, but let those that have been ripped apart speak out, as for good expat bars, years ago the place was full of great characters, every bar had something, thoses days have long gone coffee1.gif

Well I really hope, for their sakes, they don't come across you on any of their nights out, they will be on the next flight out.

Islander restaurant off Bangla road usually has a few worthies hanging round Dereks' (owners partner) table of knowledge

Decent food at reasonable prices if you want or just a drink or three, weekend best bet to connect with the local expats.

Aussie bar on Bangla good for sports at weekend if thats your thing but it does tend to be more tourists than local expats.

thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by phuketjock
  • Like 2

Well I really hope, for their sakes, they don't come across you on any of their nights out, they will be on the next flight out.

Islander restaurant off Bangla road usually has a few worthies hanging round Dereks' (owners partner) table of knowledge

Decent food at reasonable prices if you want or just a drink or three, weekend best bet to connect with the local expats.

Aussie bar on Bangla good for sports at weekend if thats your thing but it does tend to be more tourists than local expats.

thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

may be if more people had come across me they would be a lot happier, richer and in some cases "alive", so are you saying sweep these issues under the carpet, we haven't even touched on the decease side of the bar girl industry, but what the hell it can't kill you, oop's sorry it can!!!!

I'm always puzzled when people say "why bring your wife" as though every guy has low moral values and it's compulsory to sleep with a bar girl , every single country in the world has some sort of prostitution, but how many blokes take a lady of the night in the UK, USA, Oz etc and think, hello i'll through money at her, get married, have kids, get divorced, through more money at her, give her the house, but i was proud to have them as there wife's, it just wouldn't happen on a daily bases in other countries, pretty woman the movie i thought was fictional, but in Thailand it's reality. i've listened to all the B/S and having to defend there decisions saying "well they've got to support family, no welfare",etc, tell them to get off there backsides and find work, i don't know one relationship from that background that is what you would call normal, happy or stable. obviously guys are going to defend there decisions as mentioned, but let those that have been ripped apart speak out, as for good expat bars, years ago the place was full of great characters, every bar had something, thoses days have long gone

Erm.... yeah.

cheesy.gif

My thoughts exactly,so just don't come then?Change your tickets for Hua Hin/Chiang Mai?Bit off topic there really pal!

Patong is really for the tourists, but you'll probably figure that out soon enough. The surrounding beaches like Karon, Kata and Kamala are much better for settling down in. Social life is never an issue. If anything there is too much social life. It's a party.

thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

I would second the recommendation for Islander restaurant, We bring our family there every visit to the area.

just across the lane the oasis bar has a nice area to sit and relax too.

New owner ( since Pom) seems a nice chap too.

Phuket, not anymore Paradise or even nice ! Wonderland and Disney World for many.

I am disappointed, every time I come, more and more.

Edited by ALFREDO

Most expats in Patong that you meet in bars are probably.........errrm, the wrong kind.

I live for 25 years in Phuket (happily married) and go out in Patong to visit other expats.

So you are accusing me of being of the wrong kind.

I would like you to tell me that in my face.

Otherwise keep your stupid remarks for yourself.

Ooooooo......another roughy, toughy keyboard warrior.

Read the first word of my post.

Does "Most" mean all?

I stand by my post. If you don't like it.....hit the report button.

Just go to Nanai Road there are plenty of succesful bar owners sitting their little bars. Buy them a beer and they open up, and are a wealth of information. There is not much that an expat Nanai Road bar owner doesnt know. They have seen and done it all.

• Like 1

Just go to Nanai Road there are plenty of succesful bar owners sitting their little bars. Buy them a beer and they open up, and are a wealth of information. There is not much that an expat Nanai Road bar owner doesnt know. They have seen and done it all.

Unless they are new and have just bought the bar to fund their stay, or as a business for the missus.

I met at least one of the new owners of the Offshore Bar before it got knocked down. Very pleasant chap, but, a bit green.

Edited by KarenBravo

Try the Mai Thai bar Soi Eric.Very popular with Expats.They used to have good forum going but unfortunately Ncke the owner was killed in a bike crash a few months ago and has finished now.Last I heard Nickes wife Ead was keeping the bar going.

ummm was popular about 5 years ago. Now just a run down 14 seat outdoor beer bar in a soi with 150 others within 400 metres that are the same to choose from.

I have lived here for 8 years and I think that I have been in Patong 3 times its crap a cross between a small Pattaya Blackpool and the worst part of any city in the world . Phuket has a lot more to offer than Patong go and look!

Firstly, the OP, like most of us is not going to be able to tell the difference between someone who lives in Phuket and someone that doesn't, unless they first get into conversation with them.

The majority of European looking people that they meet in bars, will probably be "the wrong type". Even if you discount the tourists and look at long stay people in Patong, I would venture that there is a higher percentage of mongers than expats found elsewhere on the island.

Seems many Patong expats are getting offended by my post, that I'm tarring everyone with the same brush. That was not my intention, but, I still stand by my post.