E-Book Downloads

murni

I am posting on this forum as I live in CM and most of you have been very helpful in the past, so mods please don't move it.

The websites I have found only have very old novels. Are there any that have more up to date books?

Thank you in advance.

You can find more modern books on the bittorrent sites but these are illegal scans and often poorly compiled. Better to pay the money and buy legally.

The reason that the books on sites like Gutenberg are so old is that the copyright has expired.

The older back catalogues are out of copyright, if you're after new(er) will probably mean an illegal download from torrent etc.

Unlike movies, authors don't always make a lot percentage wise from book sales - however I understand the frustration of staying up to date with favorite authors.

I use torrents for new authors and buy the book if I like it. I do buy my favorite authors and keep an eye out for e-vouchers, promotions and discounts for Kindle versions.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

If you had a library card at your last official or current official residential address in the U.S. you may be able to borrow e-books over the internet.

I use my last address as my absentee ballot address. Some 4 years after I moved here, I heard about this option, investigated it, and found my old library did now have the on-line capability. So I re-activitated my card over the internet and now can download 10 e-books (and/or audio books) at a time. There is a 21 days time limit.

They download to my computer and I transfer them to my reader (or mp3 player). Once I am done with them, I can return them early, just like a regular library. So, theoretically, there is no reason that I could not have 10 unread books on my reader all the time.

I had to download the OverDrive Media Console program (4KB) to do this and it is self explanatory to use. When searching for a book, you can select filters that allow you to select the format and whether or not a copy is available at that moment in time. Or you can look for a specific author or title and then either borrow it or put a hold on it.

The final step opens an Amazon site and I download the book from there. When I finish reading, I delete (return) it from the OverDrive Media program.

If you never had a card, can you get an account from here using that address? I do not know.

The reason that the books on sites like Gutenberg are so old is that the copyright has expired.

There are more superb literary works of both fiction and non fiction, than one could ever hope to read in a lifetime.

If you can't find a truly great book on PG, then I doubt if you can find one anywhere.

There are more superb literary works of both fiction and non fiction, than one could ever hope to read in a lifetime.

If you can't find a truly great book on PG, then I doubt if you can find one anywhere.

What exactly is "PG"?

What exactly is "PG"?

Project Gutenberg

You're asking for just free eBooks? (keenio) Amazon has 1000's of free books but beware there are new books you may have to pay for there. Smashwords dot com has many new writers publishing books for free. The big three are iTunes, Amazon and Barnes and Noble with 1000's of free books. Convert any format to another with Calibre. You're not trying hard if you're having trouble finding eBooks in CM or anywhere else.

Seems to me a lot of people spend their time accumulating thousands of books, of which a miniscule percentage will ever be read. Can't quite see the point but each to his own. I usually research a few books I'd like to read old or new, buy them, read them and pass them on unless I really want to go back and re-read something. I couldn't imagine anything worse than a collection of 1,000's of books just for collecting sake. I guess it's a bit like any other collecting hobby though......"I've got more than you".

Seems to me a lot of people spend their time accumulating thousands of books, of which a miniscule percentage will ever be read. Can't quite see the point but each to his own. I usually research a few books I'd like to read old or new, buy them, read them and pass them on unless I really want to go back and re-read something. I couldn't imagine anything worse than a collection of 1,000's of books just for collecting sake. I guess it's a bit like any other collecting hobby though......"I've got more than you".

The e book files are so small you rarely find them on a singular basis on BitTorrent sites. Most are folders / collections in the hundreds or thousands, so you don't really have an option.

I'm an author, and am sorry to see that so many people think it is perfectly OK to steal copyright materials over the Web. There is a giant misconception out there that all published authors are minting their own money. That's the case if you're Dan Brown or J.K. Rowling, but the vast majority of published authors make next to nothing from their books - and so long as people insist on bypassing legitimate download sites such as Amazon, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble and iTunes, the reward for people putting thousands of hours into producing a book will only fall ever lower.

If you download a $5 book by an author whose work is published through a legitimate publisher, the author, if he/she is lucky, might see about one-fifth, so maybe $1. It's not much, but it's the only payback for what might be thousands of hours of work. (Royalties on printed books are considerably lower - more like 30 or 40 cents per $5 book.)

There are plenty of books available for free on Amazon and elsewhere; they are free because the authors agree to them being free for 24 hours in the hope of driving their books up the sales rankings, thereby generating a sales 'bounce' even after they are no longer free. That's fine. That's the author (who is usually also the publisher) engaging in marketing. I recommend you try downloading a few. You'll quickly find out another reason why they are free. They are utter cr@p, mostly self-published by wannabe authors who would never have a hope of seeing their work published if they weren't doing it themselves. Of course there are success stories among self-published download authors, but as a percentage of the total, we are talking an infinitesimally small slice, perhaps one book in fifty thousand. No, really.

Traditional publishers have a lot to answer for, and are being slow to meet the market's demands for reasonably-priced downloads, but bypassing legitimate purchasing routes is only going to drive more and more publishers to the wall, and more and more authors out of writing.

pj

• Like 1