Surapong Off To Washington To Meet Kerry

Lite Beer

Surapong off to Washington to meet Kerry
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul will officially visit the United States next week to introduce himself to his counterpart, Secretary of State John Kerry. Matters to be discussed during the visit include a framework for bilateral cooperation on issues ranging from terrorism to transnational crime and human trafficking.

Surapong said the issue of cross-border human trafficking was very important as Thailand has been stuck on the second tier of countries on a US human-trafficking watchlist for the past two years. The minister said he hoped to be able to convince Kerry that Thailand was tackling the issue with utmost seriousness.

The Foreign Ministry earlier issued a written clarification stating that Thailand had a concrete plan to tackle human trafficking and expressed hope that the country would be upgraded and avoid trade penalties.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-05

The minister said he hoped to be able to convince Kerry that Thailand was tackling the issue with utmost seriousness. The Foreign Ministry earlier issued a written clarification stating that Thailand had a concrete plan to tackle human trafficking and expressed hope that the country would be upgraded and avoid trade penalties.

The sentiment expressed by the ministry is admirable,wholly appropriate and to be applauded.

Empty rhetoric? Let's hope not.

• Like 1

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul will officially visit the United States next week to introduce himself to his counterpart, Secretary of State John Kerry.

Surprised that the acting Foreign Minister isn't making the visit.

Thaksin Meets Iraqi PM Amid Row On Status

No mate that couldn't happen after the reception he got on his last visit and the roasting the US Guvt got for letting him in.

But fair enough that international relations should continue .

Only hope that what goes on between them is accurately reported and there is no tweeking of history as per Yinglucks speech.

Surapong said the issue of cross-border human trafficking was very important as Thailand has been stuck on the second tier of countries on a US human-trafficking watchlist for the past two years.

Obviously it's not important that people are being trafficked. Anyone know how to say " army sponsored rohingya trafficking".....

• Like 2

Reps from other countries, including Thailand, go to the US for one reason. Money. Looking for a handout while in Thailand the Thais bash the US every chance they get.

Edited by expat888
  • Like 1

Surapong visits US to discuss bilateral cooperation

BANGKOK, 5 May 2013 (NNT) -Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul will be making an official visit to the United States during May 4-8.

DPM Surapong is set to meet Secretary of State John Kerry and will have a discussion on a framework for bilateral cooperation as well as other key regional and international issues.

In addition, he will take this opportunity to follow up the results of President Barack Obama’s official visit to Thailand which took place in November last year.

The Foreign Minister will also push forward a frequent exchange of visits between high-ranking officials of both governments in the future.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-05 footer_n.gif

I suspect that Kerry is fully aware of the incident of the Thai military selling Burmese refugees they captured. So am sure Kerry will have a smile on his face as Surapong is rambling on about Thailand serious efforts of " tackling" trafficking... :-)

"had a concrete plan to tackle human trafficking"

Just like the concrete plans on getting of other black and grey lists which surely will happen, the getting off that is. Some government official told us that would happen this month, so it must be true

Surapong visits US to discuss bilateral cooperation

BANGKOK, 5 May 2013 (NNT) -Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul will be making an official visit to the United States during May 4-8.

DPM Surapong is set to meet Secretary of State John Kerry and will have a discussion on a framework for bilateral cooperation as well as other key regional and international issues.

In addition, he will take this opportunity to follow up the results of President Barack Obama’s official visit to Thailand which took place in November last year.

The Foreign Minister will also push forward a frequent exchange of visits between high-ranking officials of both governments in the future.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-05-05 footer_n.gif

Bless.

The U.S. is far more important to Thailand than Thailand is to U.S.!

And Obama's visit was all about Myanmar, nothing else.

• Like 1

"had a concrete plan to tackle human trafficking"

Just like the concrete plans on getting of other black and grey lists which surely will happen, the getting off that is. Some government official told us that would happen this month, so it must be true

Thailand's "concrete plan" started in 2008. Since then Thailand was downgraded from tier 2 to the tier 2 watch list. It goes to show how much Thailand waters down their concrete, and how much sound structure it has.

Edited by dcutman

Except for some ass kissing toady's, most of the Thai's who live in America can see what's going on and can see how True democracies work. Pretty much about 90% of the Thai's here in America laugh at the antics of the red shirts and Yingluck and her brother as you noticed when he came to visit. And I pretty much foretell, except for a swarmy smile for the Thai Foreign Minister and a good ole boy backslap, nothing is going to be set in stone. Kerry knows he's here to try and get some money and will act accordingly. Americans by and large are not big rice eaters, so that's out. And I would bet pretty much my entire social security check, that Surapong's old buddy's name will pop up. ie: Thaksin. coffee1.gif

Except for some ass kissing toady's, most of the Thai's who live in America can see what's going on and can see how True democracies work. Pretty much about 90% of the Thai's here in America laugh at the antics of the red shirts and Yingluck and her brother as you noticed when he came to visit. And I pretty much foretell, except for a swarmy smile for the Thai Foreign Minister and a good ole boy backslap, nothing is going to be set in stone. Kerry knows he's here to try and get some money and will act accordingly. Americans by and large are not big rice eaters, so that's out. And I would bet pretty much my entire social security check, that Surapong's old buddy's name will pop up. ie: Thaksin. coffee1.gif

Maybe k. Surapong can hand Mr. Kerry the text of the speech his cousin (once removed?) Ms. Yingluck, the real PM of Thailand, read out in Mongolia to highlight the pretty mean way the Americans treated that politically victimized poor brother of hers k. Thaksin, his cousin when he visited America. I'm sure this highlighting of family relations will help Mr. Kerry to make up his mind rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

Maybe k. Surapong can hand Mr. Kerry the text of the speech his cousin (once removed?) Ms. Yingluck, the real PM of Thailand, read out in Mongolia to highlight the pretty mean way the Americans treated that politically victimized poor brother of hers k. Thaksin, his cousin when he visited America. I'm sure this highlighting of family relations will help Mr. Kerry to make up his mind rolleyes.gif

Yeah, that should do it. cheesy.gif

I wonder in which language they will be conversing, as our Foreign Minister can't speak English very well and I don't know if Senator Kelly's Thai is any good.

Despite two advanced degrees obtained in English

Dr. Surapong Tovichakchaikul

Education:

B.A. (Engineering), Khon Kaen University, Thailand

M.A. (Engineering), Youngstown State University, Ohio, USA

PhD. (Engineering), University of Akron, Ohio, USA

http://www.thaiemb.org.in/en/news/detail_thailand_update.php?ID=1614

The "doctor" uses translators for English

Foreign Minister vows to work hard

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul has pledged to work hard while shrugging off criticisms against his appropriateness to perform as foreign minister.

Surapong stated that at present, he is looking into the number of personnel and the amount of work in the ministry compared with the annual budget of only about seven billion baht.

Upon a criticism that he could not speak English because he used his personal interpreter during meetings with foreign ambassadors, the minister responded that he preferred an interpreter in formal meetings to ensure accuracy, adding that one English word can have different meanings.

http://202.47.224.92/en/news.php?id=255408260003

I wonder in which language they will be conversing, as our Foreign Minister can't speak English very well and I don't know if Senator Kelly's Thai is any good.

Despite two advanced degrees obtained in English

>

Dr. Surapong Tovichakchaikul

Education:

B.A. (Engineering), Khon Kaen University, Thailand

M.A. (Engineering), Youngstown State University, Ohio, USA

PhD. (Engineering), University of Akron, Ohio, USA

http://www.thaiemb.org.in/en/news/detail_thailand_update.php?ID=1614

The "doctor" uses translators for English

Foreign Minister vows to work hard

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul has pledged to work hard while shrugging off criticisms against his appropriateness to perform as foreign minister.

Surapong stated that at present, he is looking into the number of personnel and the amount of work in the ministry compared with the annual budget of only about seven billion baht.

Upon a criticism that he could not speak English because he used his personal interpreter during meetings with foreign ambassadors, the minister responded that he preferred an interpreter in formal meetings to ensure accuracy, adding that one English word can have different meanings.

http://202.47.224.92/en/news.php?id=255408260003

I have to wonder if he used an 'interpreter' to write his thesis.

• Like 1

I wonder if Minister of Foreign Affairs Surapong will also show this particular topic ("Thais becoming inured to corruption, TDRI says") to Mr. Kerry. Just to show the wonderful state of (Thai) transparency.