Bangkok's Soi 33 - Evolving Or Dying?

Kinnock

Soi 33 has been fading for years and old stalwarts like Renoir's closed a couple years ago and many of the other 'Impressionist' bars have been converted to Japanese only drinking and bad singing bars so I rarely visit the area. But I went tfor a walk down 33 last night and there seems to be some new life. Christies bar is now a music/dance bar call Velvet (not busy but it's still new) and there was a nice new Jazz Bar called Black - good, smooth Jazz Band but I'm not sure about the 200 THB per person cover charge for the band.

The old Renoir bar is being refitted - don't know what it's going to be, but all floors were being worked on so perhaps a hotel?

Tenderloins has also moved to a new location closer to Sukhumvit.

Perhaps the start of a long-overdue revival?

Soi 33 died a long time ago for me. Last time I was there was 5-6 years ago, never found it very inspiring and from what you describe, it hasn’t really improved or changed much over the years.

Is Livingstone still there?

Yes - Livingston is there and still trying to be a pool bar, restaurant and hotel and failing at all.

Up until a couple of months ago I was a regular at the "Office" on weekends for the rugby. I've now switched to the "Clubhouse" on soi 23 due to the fact that the food is better and they don't have any "special waitresses" pestering for drinks. My pet hate with soi 33 was always that corner where the moto bike taxis and som tam carts were blocking the side walk. I think I'll venture down there again to check out the jazz venue. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

cannot you even bother to mention off what road? or is your world of BKK limited to just 1? Again a tipical view of how TV-users view this city? There are at least 15 main long roads with at least 33+ side-sois.

cannot you even bother to mention off what road? or is your world of BKK limited to just 1? Again a tipical view of how TV-users view this city? There are at least 15 main long roads with at least 33+ side-sois.

How many "soi 33"s have a heap of bars for farangs?

Sent from my Phone.

IMO, Soi 33 (Sukhumvit for those that that live in another universe) started dying after the 2008 financial crash when a lot of people stopped getting their expat packages and were sent home.

Sent from my Phone.

• Like 1

I always though soi 33 (Sukhumvit road that is) was a bit pretentious.

They wanted it to be some upscale area, with upscale prices as well.

Yes a few nice places, but not really up to the hype.

Not surprised it started to nose dive.

Nice of course if it is evolving.

Don't agree it was pretentious, just different. Hostesses (ie clothed) rather than barely dressed girls barely dancing.

Sent from my Phone.

Funnily enough I've been frequenting Sukhumvit soi 33 a fair bit in the last few months. This was after a break of around 5 years of never venturing further than the Londoner!

I found a few places to be fairly good value and "fun". The (Dutch owned) Green Parrot a bit further down in the soi on the right is friendly enough and Lips has some very attractive ermm "furnishings".... However I've never warmed to the Office much and much prefer the Clubhouse too.

• Like 1

Don't agree it was pretentious, just different. Hostesses (ie clothed) rather than barely dressed girls barely dancing.

Sent from my Phone.

And different (hiiiiiiigher) prices.

15? hahahahahahaha.... More like 500++ Maybe even into the 1000's

Edited by Murf

I believe I am what one will call average intelligent, with some skills in various areas, which most people have.

Still, I quickly figured out from reading the OP which particular Soi he talked about.

If members don't know that Soi, no need to worry, just read the posts and take in the info.

smile.png

• Like 1

I went once and the place was hilarious.

"Farm girls in posh frocks" is how my pal refers to it....

Exactly how I experienced it the first time as well.

Of course, back then I was a barhopper of the worst sort, so for me it was strange how girls with same beauty, but less sexual appeal than the girls in the gogo's were so much more expensive.

(Mod please edit language if you want to avoid violation of the rules).

Later I found a place or 2 which I enjoyed, but still noticed the street getting less and less customers.

It was a pub with live music and coyote dancers opposite to the Office, I believe.

Went there a few times, since a friend of mine flirted with the female singer.

The coyote dancers were sexy ladies, but kind of ridicules to watch for more than 60 seconds, as they entire repertoire of dance steps and movements had been used, so they did it again, and again, etc.

Then after 2 dances, they went to their favorite customers to bum drinks.

Food was good in that pub/bar.

Of course, back then I was a barhopper of the worst sort, so for me it was strange how girls with same beauty, but less sexual appeal than the girls in the gogo's were so much more expensive.

Later I found a place or 2 which I enjoyed, but still noticed the street getting less and less customers.

It was a pub with live music and coyote dancers opposite to the Office, I believe.

The coyote dancers were sexy ladies, but kind of ridicules to watch for more than 60 seconds, as they entire repertoire of dance steps and movements had been used, so they did it again, and again, etc.

The pub is Mojos. It used to be regularly packed, but seems to be regularly empty these days. It was a bit hard to to have a dance repertoire of more than a couple of steps given that they were dancing on the bar with 6 inch stilettos.

The pub is Mojos. It used to be regularly packed, but seems to be regularly empty these days. It was a bit hard to to have a dance repertoire of more than a couple of steps given that they were dancing on the bar with 6 inch stilettos.

True that.

But it did not hide the fact the excitement by watching them disappeared after 120 seconds.

Anyway, they had their regular fans coming for them, so it all worked out fine for both dancers and customers.

smile.png

• 4 months later...

# 1 thing about Soi 33. I was in BKK for months before I went anywhere else. I was always told watch BKK for ladyboys. No such thing on Soi 33. When I finally ventured outside, I was shocked that Soi Nanna for example is a full 70% dick swingers. In some clubs its all or almost all the dancers.

Edited by Phil Water

# 1 thing about Soi 33. I was in BKK for months before I went anywhere else. I was always told watch BKK for ladyboys. No such thing on Soi 33. When I finally ventured outside, I was shocked that Soi Nanna for example is a full 70% dick swingers. In some clubs its all or almost all the dancers.

If I'm not mistaken, a 100% ladyboy bar has opened right in the area of Mojo's... in the side soi there off the main soi.

Believe it's called something like the Darkside Bar.... So...you see... no area of Thailand is immune. biggrin.png

I occasionally go to The Londoner and if with someone who's never been to the area I will walk them down the soi a bit to show them what it's like and how it's aimed at the Japanese etc. It's interesting.

However it's not somewhere I go drinking (aside from The Londoner) and it always seems very dead.

I never see anyone on the street so I doubt most of the venues can be busy.

When I finally ventured outside, I was shocked that Soi Nanna for example is a full 70% dick swingers.

Two weekends ago me and a mate went to Nana Plaza for the first time then stayed in the area afterwards drinking at various pubs and street bars.

We're not sure we saw a single legit women the whole night.

Nearly every single girl that approached us was a katoey.

Two weekends ago me and a mate went to Nana Plaza for the first time then stayed in the area afterwards drinking at various pubs and street bars.

We're not sure we saw a single legit women the whole night.

Nearly every single girl that approached us was a katoey.

Ha Ha you must have that Look about you laugh.png