Posting Under Your Real Name

KarenBravo

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been using my real name in various places online for 20+ years. Anyone who thinks my life is interesting enough to dig into is welcome to it. So many people have grossly inflated ideas of their significance... Of course if you're going to be a total sociopathic douchebag online then anonymity is important.

My real name starts with "Sir"........not a chance can I post here with all you plebs....... I would be no end of ridicule.

You know that "sir" in Thai language means silly, stupid, dumb. So by all means i will call you "sir" cheesy.gif

Posting under your real name is a recipe for hassle, but posting under someone else's is a good way to get revenge on a person .

What ever happened to Tony Clifton?

Edited by EBlair48

I never worry about revealing my real name - its Peter North - feel free to google me.

You know he's bisexual right and has done as many gay films as straight ones?

Why are you bullying me about my lifestyle choice? Where is my deviant whistle?

Ive been on message boards long enough to know that its incredibly naive to think that there arent total complete nutters out there willing to track you down and petition your employers to fire you because of some innocuous and decotextualised comment that they've trawled through for days to find in your posting history... because you once showed they were wrong in a stupid argument that no one remembers or even cares about ten minutes after its finished.

Then again, having an account under your name doesnt mean you cant have 100 other accounts for trolling or saying what you really think about regarding other more controversial issues.

How are ye Petey one nut?

Too many paranoid people here. If you have nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about.

Do you believe there's anyone in Thailand with nothing to hide?laugh.png
I have a lot to hide, hence the name Neeranam.

Too many paranoid people here. If you have nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about.

Doesn't your name start with F and end with N ?

Futon?

Do you believe there's anyone in Thailand with nothing to hide?

Futon?

I had my suspicion Funfon was Mr worldwide.

Sorry, thought you wrote Funfon not futon

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Name or no name is irrelevant.

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If you live in a condo complex it may take a little more time to identify you...but, if you live in a street, and your neighbors either side are Thais...I got you sucker...

BS

You'd have to have access to my ISP's records to know who the IP was assigned to. Most ISP use dynamic IP's, so even they would have to check their records (if they keep them) to find out who had a specific IP at any moment in time.

It's simply BS.

TRACK ME.

The admins of the forum could probably tell my IP, but what they may or may not know is that I tunnel into my main server and go out via Active Directory no matter where I am in the world. That allows my laptop to be a pretty empty client and all of my real files to be safely on the server.

Again, with a warrant issued by a judge and needing probable cause, standing and jurisdiction, they could demand from my ISP to know who had that IP at that time. That's a long reach and would require proof of probable cause that I had committed a crime.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Agree with post # 2 & 4.

I think displaying the real name is a bit naïve.

God (and you fellow members) knows how many I have made angry over the years.

Guaranteed at least a few who would like to get hold of me.

Of those there probably are one nutter who would make me regret posting my real name.

What's naïve is assuming no-one can find you when you don't use your real name. If you use the internet at all, chances are you'll leave a trail that can be followed...

Hint: Khun K - for what it's worth, if you're sure about that guarantee you should move. Now. tongue.png

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If had 1 satang for each time I've read similar things "I can get your IP address and track you down", I'd be filthy rich.

The truth is that if I wanted to track someone down the process is pretty straight forward, but it doesn't include tracing someone by acquiring their IP address unless you have seriously good connection within the ISP.

This is also the reason why it's always a good idea to be restrictive with regards to posting on a public forum, and using you real name is typically a bad idea. There are several nasty stories that can bare witness about this...

Due to using a real name, and then over time making statements about himself, I tracked a guy down to his home and his place of employment but it had nothing to do with his IP. First he used his real name. At some point he said he was a sheriff's deputy. At some point he said he was in Arizona. At another time he mentioned the real estate market in his town.

The idiot made the mistake of threatening me physically (typical self important cop) and I got him fired by keeping records of his posts.

He had/has no idea who I really am.

But it was all social tracking, not IT tracking.

If you live in a condo complex it may take a little more time to identify you...but, if you live in a street, and your neighbors either side are Thais...I got you sucker...

Lol. Somebody's been watching too much CSI

I'll save you the trouble of h4ck1ng (sic) me to find out my current IP. It's 192.168.1.33. Have at it.

(Before you make a fool of yourself demonstrating your mad 1337 skillz by posting my current GPS location, I should mention that I already know those could likely be found in under a minute, because I choose not to hide)

If had 1 satang for each time I've read similar things "I can get your IP address and track you down", I'd be filthy rich.

The truth is that if I wanted to track someone down the process is pretty straight forward, but it doesn't include tracing someone by acquiring their IP address unless you have seriously good connection within the ISP.

This is also the reason why it's always a good idea to be restrictive with regards to posting on a public forum, and using you real name is typically a bad idea. There are several nasty stories that can bare witness about this...

Due to using a real name, and then over time making statements about himself, I tracked a guy down to his home and his place of employment but it had nothing to do with his IP. First he used his real name. At some point he said he was a sheriff's deputy. At some point he said he was in Arizona. At another time he mentioned the real estate market in his town.

The idiot made the mistake of threatening me physically (typical self important cop) and I got him fired by keeping records of his posts.

He had/has no idea who I really am.

But it was all social tracking, not IT tracking.

Really? That's a classic NS. Tell us more!

"Again, with a warrant issued by a judge and needing probable cause, standing and jurisdiction, they could demand from my ISP to know who had that IP at that time. That's a long reach and would require proof of probable cause that I had committed a crime."

It's all very nice to have blind faith that access to our IP data is restricted to agencies that require the information in accordance with the law.

But, there are many brilliant but unstable individuals out there in the cyber world who know how to hack into external protected computer systems. About 12 months ago, some nutter busted into the CIA database with ridiculous ease.

He didn't seek a court warrant, or need probable cause.

• Like 1

No one here's smart enough to track anyone down:p

How's the weather in Chumphae? Or haven't you got back yet... Still in Croydon? tongue.png

Edited by bobl

Lol. Somebody's been watching too much CSI

I'll save you the trouble of h4ck1ng (sic) me to find out my current IP. It's 192.168.1.33. Have at it.

(Before you make a fool of yourself demonstrating your mad 1337 skillz by posting my current GPS location, I should mention that I already know those could likely be found in under a minute, because I choose not to hide)

That's your local IP assigned by your router. That not your unique-in-the-whole-world-IP assigned from the block of your ISP's IP's to your router.

It's not internet routable.

I like your little joke, though, and I know you knew what you were doing/saying. :)

Strangely, that's the IP of my server. But it's hidden behind a router too. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by NeverSure

Ive been on message boards long enough to know that its incredibly naive to think that there arent total complete nutters out there willing to track you down and petition your employers to fire you because of some innocuous and decotextualised comment that they've trawled through for days to find in your posting history... because you once showed they were wrong in a stupid argument that no one remembers or even cares about ten minutes after its finished.

Just about sums it up.

Would never use my real name on the internet. I purposly chose a screen name that is so common that searching for it is a waste of time.

I did try using Google, facebook, Etc.Etc searching for my real name, no results whatsoever.

I'm happy with that.

• Like 1