How To Deal With Loan Sharks In Thailand?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it sounds like you are being targetted as a Farang because loan sharks do not wait that long for their money. It is not in their interest to wait so long.

Look at it this way......

A loan of 5000 Baht is given to the customer. The customer either hands over the papers to their motorbike, car or even a house or land. No security, no loan.

When the Thai does not pay, the loan shark moves in and takes the property, often getting a nice fat profit on selling the product they now own the papers for. (From what I recall, it is actually illegal for them to keep the profit - but that is another matter altogether).

The 5000 Baht loan has increased to 100,000 Baht? That is illegal here in Thailand. Any good lawyer will tell you what the accepted % rate is and they can sort it out in the courts if you really want them to.

Problem being that when you start using lawyers against these people there are often going to be consequences for doing so and you need to be aware of that.

IF there are papers - I would ask to see the papers and have them verified by a trusted 3rd party, to try and verify the genuine date they were signed - then you can work out the interest yourself.

On the whole, I'd say you are being targetted and an attempted scam is underway.

Good luck in sorting this whatever you do.

Physically hanging on to the deed doesn't give the loan shark the legal right to sell it. If you don't have the deed but are the owner as stated on the deed all you have to do is go to the land department office and report the deed as lost.

You can't report a deed as lost if you know someone else holds it,

For one thing it's fraud and another you can get in a whole lotta trouble.

The point I was making was more about the fact that the loan sharks do not have the legal right to sell anything unless they have your written consent. By law, any one buying property from a loan shark without the written consent of the legal owner can be charged with handling illegal proceeds and may have to appear in court.

However, as I'm sure we all know, the primary law in Thailand is the law of relationships and recourse, not 'the law of the land'.

Obviously, everyone working in the land office knows what goes on with deeds as they deal with the public on matters concerning deeds day-in-day-out. They'd probably advise you to go and sort it out yourself or take it up with a civil court or something, rather than slap a fraud case on you.

Edited by Trembly

I had a few too...

1st case. MIL requested i paid off UIL debt of ฿40'000 with interest, i ask if she would do the same for me when I'm in debt. She said no whilst shaking her head...

2nd case. BIL wants to buy a new truck that needed a minimum ฿250'000 down payment, intend to trade in his old truck but still short of ฿100'000. I agreed to help after my wife sincerely begged. Then we saw him driving the new Toyota Vigo along the soi and into his house, we look at each other and she knew what i was thinking. Minutes later, the BIL rang her up to pass bank information so that she could transfer the ฿100'000 that was needed for the down payment. Wife asked how is it possible that he can get the new truck before we could transfer the money ? He was dumbstruck, wife scolded him for being too dumb to scam. The truth was that he wanted the ฿100'000 to finance the monthly installment and some cash to use as he please.

3rd case. AIL burrow ฿30'000 through my wife, i told her interest free and pay me back when she ready. No courtesy call at all to let us know that she remember that she indebted. As if never happened, year on year off, i reminded her of the debt she owes me and she could pay me by installment if she prefer. She brushed it off by saying next year...Don't worry I'll pay you next year. I went hard ball with her last year, made her lose face infront of others and got my ฿30'000 back after 6 years. To savage some little face that she had left she cockily ask if i want interest too, I whispered loudly, "...If you're willing to paid, i shall collect it 6 years later. But then again, I really don't think you could afford to pay. Even at a compounded 12% per year... so it's ok." Everybody laught.

4th case.... hmm, never mind...

My brother in laws are the worst for me. The only really lousy people in the whole bunch. I have had similar experiences with them. The truck example I had almost identical...... he asked us, threw a stupid idiotic, childish fit when we refused, then we heard he had the truck not too far down the line.... I guess he didn't need us too bad. Then there is the fact that he is buying a brand new truck and making 16k baht a month. It is just endlessly stupid and selfish. I don't have enough bad things to say about some Thais, and not enough good things to say about others. I guess that is true anywhere in the world :)

• Like 1

There is now a law that prohibits this practice.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There are lots of laws in Thailand - but the BIB only enforce them if there is money to be made for themselves.

Loan sharks? I deal with them the same way I deal with regular sharks. I stick a hook in them and play them awhile. Then I hang them out to bake in the sun after removing their teeth and other useful parts. I think banks come under the same category.

I am desperately and really trying to understand things like this. Compassion ... i think they call it. ? :) I am not dismissing or belittling the situation (that is not my way) ... we can all get stuck - whatever the circumstances.

Phew ... wish you the best and that you get through it. It's not your debt kiddo .... do not get 'weighed down' by this. Do not engage.

There speaketh i - 7th Imp and 'just gotta boss everyone around when bored and home' LOL : )

Oh man, those of you with Thai wives should probably do what my dad did. Basically raised me full well knowing how parasitic the Thai side of my family is. I guess my mom only got less parasitic when the old man passed away when she realised that she now had to take care of me, and the fact that I got the better share of the will also. Well she dealt with that pretty fine and didnt flip out, and we had a mutual understanding of each other. She started using money more wisely now that there was a limit to it (even though it was up there in the million baht mark), and I started having to deal with BS. Luckily for my dad, mom, and me, my half brother (from thai moms marriage) is more independent and not lazy, and the only thing my dad payed for him was his tuition to university. Well the grandma's, the uncle, the "distant" relative, those are the leechers.

Grandma just leaches from the whole family. Makes everybody feel bad and forces them to give some money to her. She doesnt use it for anything. The uncle's got a good job, working in a managerial position for a reputable company, except for the fact that him and his son are trying to get into the golf clique, and have spent a good portion on golf equipment....hi-so wannabes. As for the cousin's and distant relatives in the upcountry...everytime I visit there with my mom, I'm always confronted with them. When I was a kid, they'd tease me for being a farangs kid and not being full Thai. Well times have changed, I've grown up with an education, while they're pretending to be fixing motorbikes. So these days If they ask me to pay for something, I'll remind them of what they did and make them apologise in public, and I'll give the ultimate disrespect and pat their head.

It makes you question your ownself when you do this, but it does get fun at times.

there are two remarkably effective ways to deal with a loan shark anywhere.

1. avoid them like the plague and don't borrow money

2. if it is too late for option 1, pay them the money they are owed at the terms the borrower agreed to, or forfeit the collateral provided.

it is rather simple really

Loan sharks? I deal with them the same way I deal with regular sharks. I stick a hook in them and play them awhile. Then I hang them out to bake in the sun after removing their teeth and other useful parts. I think banks come under the same category.

yes Ms Mitty.
  • Like 1

I had a few too...

1st case. MIL requested i paid off UIL debt of ฿40'000 with interest, i ask if she would do the same for me when I'm in debt. She said no whilst shaking her head...

2nd case. BIL wants to buy a new truck that needed a minimum ฿250'000 down payment, intend to trade in his old truck but still short of ฿100'000. I agreed to help after my wife sincerely begged. Then we saw him driving the new Toyota Vigo along the soi and into his house, we look at each other and she knew what i was thinking. Minutes later, the BIL rang her up to pass bank information so that she could transfer the ฿100'000 that was needed for the down payment. Wife asked how is it possible that he can get the new truck before we could transfer the money ? He was dumbstruck, wife scolded him for being too dumb to scam. The truth was that he wanted the ฿100'000 to finance the monthly installment and some cash to use as he please.

3rd case. AIL burrow ฿30'000 through my wife, i told her interest free and pay me back when she ready. No courtesy call at all to let us know that she remember that she indebted. As if never happened, year on year off, i reminded her of the debt she owes me and she could pay me by installment if she prefer. She brushed it off by saying next year...Don't worry I'll pay you next year. I went hard ball with her last year, made her lose face infront of others and got my ฿30'000 back after 6 years. To savage some little face that she had left she cockily ask if i want interest too, I whispered loudly, "...If you're willing to paid, i shall collect it 6 years later. But then again, I really don't think you could afford to pay. Even at a compounded 12% per year... so it's ok." Everybody laught.

4th case.... hmm, never mind...

My brother in laws are the worst for me. The only really lousy people in the whole bunch. I have had similar experiences with them. The truck example I had almost identical...... he asked us, threw a stupid idiotic, childish fit when we refused, then we heard he had the truck not too far down the line.... I guess he didn't need us too bad. Then there is the fact that he is buying a brand new truck and making 16k baht a month. It is just endlessly stupid and selfish. I don't have enough bad things to say about some Thais, and not enough good things to say about others. I guess that is true anywhere in the world smile.png

Well exactly. Why pay for something when you can get it for free....

Little parasites!

btw when I was in Thailand my wife had dealing with these slimey loan sharkers. She pawned her gold to some local rat which she later got back when I paid the bill. When I heard about the 300 baht per month or whatever it was it made my blood boil! This was 5 years ago when I was a lot more naive and unemployed for a while.

I am desperately and really trying to understand things like this. Compassion ... i think they call it. ? :) I am not dismissing or belittling the situation (that is not my way) ... we can all get stuck - whatever the circumstances.

Phew ... wish you the best and that you get through it. It's not your debt kiddo .... do not get 'weighed down' by this. Do not engage.

There speaketh i - 7th Imp and 'just gotta boss everyone around when bored and home' LOL : )

Compassion for ones own immediate family comes first!

The in-laws have resources and a large family that all work. This makes the debt seem bizarre. Apparently this particular shark is well known for collecting a couple of payments then nothing for years, then turns up out of the blue with the police demanding massive instant repayment, hence forcing people into homelessness and more debt etc.

Regards

ccc

I am desperately and really trying to understand things like this. Compassion ... i think they call it. ? smile.png I am not dismissing or belittling the situation (that is not my way) ... we can all get stuck - whatever the circumstances.

The in-laws have resources and a large family that all work. This makes the debt seem bizarre. Apparently this particular shark is well known for collecting a couple of payments then nothing for years, then turns up out of the blue with the police demanding massive instant repayment, hence forcing people into homelessness and more debt etc.

Regards

ccc

CCC, I can understand from your latest post that you are more and more leaning towards clearing the debt.

Keep in mind that Thai people have been building up debt at a very fast pace in the past year as inflation has risen so fast and the wage increases are only a fictitous thing in most areas since they get an increase in salary but get cut at other points.

However most Thais still think they are better off and spend more. So keep in mind that the 12 year old debt might be a very recent created debt and that it may accelerate as long as these populist governing policy's are in force.

I make it a habit of collecting those loan shark sticker often found plastering ATM machines and throwing them in the trash can.

I regard a small contribution to reducing their business.

• Like 2

I am desperately and really trying to understand things like this. Compassion ... i think they call it. ? smile.png I am not dismissing or belittling the situation (that is not my way) ... we can all get stuck - whatever the circumstances.

Regards

ccc

Regards.

Regards

ccc

Regards.

Oh ... and don't go near him ... nearly forgot that. : ) About that 5 ....

Regards

ccc

Regards.

Bit 'hastey of me'- apologies.Ok ... yep absolutely right family first - every time.(Sometimes you have got to save yourself first to save the rest) - I'm 'with you' on the debt sounding bizarre - please would you define it. ? Do not panic ... it is simply about problem solving.

Where is your thought about what to do - go from there. ? I'll help ... with my excellent 'brain' .. ; )

btw when I was in Thailand my wife had dealing with these slimey loan sharkers. She pawned her gold to some local rat which she later got back when I paid the bill. When I heard about the 300 baht per month or whatever it was it made my blood boil! This was 5 years ago when I was a lot more naive and unemployed for a while.

Would have boiled my blood to if my wife did something stupid like that as well.

I make it a habit of collecting those loan shark sticker often found plastering ATM machines and throwing them in the trash can.

I regard a small contribution to reducing their business.

I've never seen one, but guess they are in Thai which I don't understand. Good for you sir! I hope others follow your lead.

So I believe the loan sharking practice is actually illegal? Yet it's clear and in the open like other things in Thailand. You see the loan sharks going customer to customer with the obligatory gold jewellery that appeals to them like shiny things to a magpie. Your not wealthy unless you can show you are. It seems to be as if it's a school playground. I imagine there are kick backs that allow it to keep going on.

I ask this because I'm sure many expats could bankroll their wives to start similar enterprises (I don't condone it) but I bet these would catch the eye of certain people and soon be stopped along with all the hassles of dealing with we know who.