Old/new Passport...

I know there have been a few threads about how to handle entries into Thailand if someone got a new passport.

But none does really exactly fit to my case i think.

In May 2012 i got an multiple-entry non-immigrant visa in my old passport. The visa itself is still valid, but I got a new passport this April when I was back in Germany for a few weeks. I came back actually not thinking about showing them my old passport where the authorities in Germany made the old passport invalid.

So right now I am here on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.

Can I travel to any border now, cross it, getting stamped out and then when getting in again showing them my old passport with the still valid multiple non-immigrant and get the new stamps then in my new passport?

When I read a post from Maestro, from 25 Apr 2013 - 23:35, who said:

The visa itself is not transferred to the new passport but the immigration office puts a stamp there into which they write details of your old passport and the visa you had in it...
then i think my chances are pretty good....

Yes you can use the visa from your old invalid passport but visa's can normally not be transferred to the new passport.

But as you have now a normal 30VOA you have to leave the country with your new passport and return with both passports showing the immigration officer.

The visa remains valid for the normal duration of the visa dates as mentioned on your visa.

Correct. With a multiple-entry visa still valid for travel to Thailand no notation of it is made in the new passport. On arrival, present both passports, the old one to show the visa, the new one for the arrival stamp.

Correct. With a multiple-entry visa still valid for travel to Thailand no notation of it is made in the new passport. On arrival, present both passports, the old one to show the visa, the new one for the arrival stamp.

Even if it say on the visa stamp: "This visa must be utilized before date if passport remains valid." ?

Because the old passport actually is not really valid since they put some holes with a hole puncher in it when i received the new passport...

Even if it say on the visa stamp: "This visa must be utilized before date if passport remains valid." ?

Because the old passport actually is not really valid since they put some holes with a hole puncher in it when i received the new passport...

Assuming your old passport is still in date (only cancelled because it was full) you should still be OK provided they didn't punch the page with the visa which would invalidate the visa itself.

UK just snip the corner of the photo page.

I don't think that their is a note on the visa which refers to the the passport dates.

The visa remains valid for the duration of the visa dates regardless the status of the passport.

For this reason (most) countries only cancel the passport name page and leave the visa untouched.

Edited by merijn

the visa is untouched, just 4 holes in the name page.

Thank you very much for everybody's input. So I will try my luck tomorrow...

Else i would have stayed until the 30 day visa exemption stamp expires...