Home Schooling

deesamui

my son is four and my thai gfs daughter is four and a half, I am looking into home schooling for both of them on the us based software and regulations, of course bi- lingual, may be set up a circle in the hua hin area, with a private tutor, any input ?

thanks

You can see my input to previous threads on homeschooling here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590465-home-schooling-in-thailand-for-your-child/?hl=%2Bhomeschool#entry6075489

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/237246-home-schooling-in-los/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/343714-anyone-homeschooling-their-kids-in-thailand/

For children who are Thai nationals, they are not required to register as homeschoolers until they are 7yo. So children younger than 7yo are free to do whatever.

For children who are not Thai nationals living here, they are not required to do anything here in Thailand. But many do follow the homeschooling regulations of their home country in the event that they will return there.

And for children who are dual Thai and foreign nationals, they must follow Thai regulations and are encouraged to also follow the regulations of their other country of citizenship to avoid difficulties in the long-term.

I recommend the Homeschool Network on Facebook for a place to easily connect with other Thai homeschooling families (some speak English). You may also try the Bangkok Toddler Homeschool group, which is less active but usually has good ideas and discussions on related topics. The Bangkok Area Homeschool Network for international homeschoolers is for BKK-based families and does not currently have any members in or near the Hua Hin area.

HTH and let me know if you have any other questions. My own homeschooled children are 7yo, 5yo, and 4yo now and hold both Thai and U.S. citizenship, so this is a road we are currently on.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590465-home-schooling-in-thailand-for-your-child/?hl=%2Bhomeschool#entry6075489

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/343714-anyone-homeschooling-their-kids-in-thailand/

For children who are Thai nationals, they are not required to register as homeschoolers until they are 7yo. So children younger than 7yo are free to do whatever.

For children who are not Thai nationals living here, they are not required to do anything here in Thailand. But many do follow the homeschooling regulations of their home country in the event that they will return there.

And for children who are dual Thai and foreign nationals, they must follow Thai regulations and are encouraged to also follow the regulations of their other country of citizenship to avoid difficulties in the long-term.

I recommend the Homeschool Network on Facebook for a place to easily connect with other Thai homeschooling families (some speak English). You may also try the Bangkok Toddler Homeschool group, which is less active but usually has good ideas and discussions on related topics. The Bangkok Area Homeschool Network for international homeschoolers is for BKK-based families and does not currently have any members in or near the Hua Hin area.

HTH and let me know if you have any other questions. My own homeschooled children are 7yo, 5yo, and 4yo now and hold both Thai and U.S. citizenship, so this is a road we are currently on.

Thank you for the info, very helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! I have just posted about homeschooling. I am Thai and my husband is Canadian. I will be homeschooling my 4 and half years old son. My kid and yours are the same age!

You may want to ask your Thai girlfriend to visit this website: www.kroopohmae.com . It's a community with lots of information about being your child's first teacher. She will find lots of info about early learning there. I am actually the creator of that community. If she has any questions, she can contact me anytime. The information is in Thai.

Where do you live? I will be in Thailand in October. I am using an accredited curriculum from the US. It's a ready made curriculum. You have everything from textbooks to teacher manual in one box. I like it as I don't want to spend my time writing the curriculum. Sometimes,it' hard to know what you are missing and you end up buying more materials and books for your homeschool class. However, the curriculum is just a guideline as I plan to use other teaching tools as well. One main reason I chose the pre-made curriculum is that I want to spend my time teaching and working on subjects that my son enjoys.

I am also part of the Homeschool Network group, and Bangkok Toddler Homeschool. Thai Homeschool Network is a great resource for Thai children doing Thai curriculum homeschool. I know a few who have used US based curriculum like Sonlight or Laurel Springs. Though, I am using Calvert. It's a secular curriculum. Plus, Calvert is the oldest, and one of the best online homeschool program to date.

Edited by elleh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you home school teenagers?

Especially in stuff like physics and normally you cannot spell pyhiscis.

www.khanacademy.com

It's all there and FREE! But all in English. There is no better resource of its kind online. Fully funded by Bill Gates and lots of other big money for the purpose of delivering high quality learning to the world.

It's a great supplement to any curriculum.

Edited by SNGLIFE

• 7 months later...

Anybody aware of a great forum where you can go to ask about homeschooling, any questions, stupid or not and get answers ?

Particularly not a forum based on one system, needs to be varied and not country specific as we intend to most likely follow either British or Australian system for now, unless something better pops up.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Very useful information Niranut.

My wife and I hope to soon start "snowbirding" in Isaan and returning to upstate New York in the summers, say May through September. In case you'

ve never been to New York in the winter I can assure you we have good reason. :P

The problem with that schedule is it conflicts with both Thai and US school schedules.

I have no problem with education in private Thai schools but I certainly do have problems with US schools and refuse to let them waste our children.

A potential solution to the schedule conundrum is home schooling - either full time or in cooperation with an understanding Thai private school.

I'll research this information more and thank you again in advance.

• 1 year later...

The Chiangmai Starfish Learning Center in the south part of the city of Chiangmai is a project of the Starfish Country Home School Foundation (www.schsf.org). It is offering totally free bilingual Thai and English classes and math for preschoolers from 25 April 2016 for three weeks. In addition to full-day classes, they will receive food, snacks and can go swimming in the swimming pool. Enrollment is limited to ~15 students per class.