Need Tips Please For Places To Run

DesertRose

I'm moving to CM soon but don't know the city well and I would really appreciate any thoughts on where I can go running in safe and fairly pleasant surroundings ie not along the superhighway if possible!.

I'll be training for a marathon so prefer flat runs as much as possible and will build up to quite lengthy runs over the months. I don't know which part of the city I'll be living in but it doesn't matter if a good area to run in at at the other end of town I'm happy to travel around.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

A popular place is the running track next to the lake, Huay Tung Tao, to the northwest of the city, out past the 700 year stadium.

Enjoy...

There is also an actual running track next to where all the kids skateboards and bikes on the ramps. You can see it from the road, it's somewhat close to the river and just a minute from the moat. For the life of me I can't think of the name of the area. One of you will know what I'm talking about I'm sure.

Are you talking about Chang Puak Stadium, a real 400m track and stadium; its a great place to run and the surroundings are very pleasant when the college girls are there on their "sports diplomas"

South of town you also get a lot of people running at the Royal Flora grounds, including the relatively quiet roads leading to it.

Actually, the Middle Ring Road isn't that bad an option for longer distances. Got sidewalks and relatively few obstructions by Thailand standards.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I second the recommendation for Huay Tung Thao. You can run around the lake, some small dips and hills but basically flat. If you drive there it costs 20 Baht/person to get in - unless you're there before about 7am (which is the best time of day to run anyway). There's a 5 km track on the right on the access road to Huay Tung Thao, which is good too.

Lots of people also do laps of the 700 Year Stadium grounds in the evening - but it's only 2km around, so you'd need to do lots of laps for marathon distances - it is flat though. Hope you enjoy your running...

Thanks for all the ideas, please keep them coming, they are helpful.

Hoping to find some routes that are not too repetitive but I did do some training before on an indoor 600m track going round and round...and round and round so it's possible. I went out for a run this morning in a rural area outside Fang, if I could train somewhere like that I'd be very happy, it was beautiful.

As for Doi Suthep, running up a big hill is not ideal training for a very long flat run but I'm sure I'll give the hills a go at some point.

Thanks for all the ideas, please keep them coming, they are helpful.

Hoping to find some routes that are not too repetitive but I did do some training before on an indoor 600m track going round and round...and round and round so it's possible. I went out for a run this morning in a rural area outside Fang, if I could train somewhere like that I'd be very happy, it was beautiful.

As for Doi Suthep, running up a big hill is not ideal training for a very long flat run but I'm sure I'll give the hills a go at some point.

Why not join Larry, he does the Doi Suthep run everyday !

If you follow the road that goes into Royal Flora from the 121 highway around to the right it will take you into the Mae Hia Agricultural Research Center. There you can put together some nice distances on both paved and dirt roads with almost no traffic and relatively flat. For more distance you can exit in either direction: if you go west behind Royal Flora there is a very quiet road that eventually has a big hill (partly unpaved) that will link up with the Samoeng road (very hilly). If you exit Mae Hia to the north there is a winding road without too much traffic that goes past Wat Umong over to Chiang Mai University, where there are some quiet roads in the back and a recently renovated dirt track.

And the run up Doi Suthep is tough but not too steep (if you want a short trail run, there is a path behind CMU that goes up to the wat about one-third of the way up).

As mentioned the lake is very popular and you have two choices. You can run the inside route of the one moat which is about 4KM. Or, if you park down at the bottom right hand starting point (means you don't need to pay the 20 BAHT because you don't take your vehicle in) you can run around both lakes which is about 8KM or so in total. The route is a little hilly. There are loads of other small routes you can do if you want a track and don't mind doing repeats - the city stadium, as already mentioned, the small park on the moat opposite Suan Prung Mental Hospital, there is also Sompotch Park that is in the Don Chan area. Those three will require a lot of repeats though to get a decent train. I usually run from my house and then run around them and then run back to make it a decent train. All depends on where you live. The problem is that you need to wait until the sun goes down before the temperature is cool enough but then after it is fully dark most places are not lit. It means that you only have an hour or so in the evening that you can really go which can become quite convenient. The other thing to do is go very early in the morning which is actually the most perfect time to run but it all depends on your lifestyle and job, etc. About 6 AM is the best. At that time there is also no reason why you can't run on the roads, the middle ring road like someone else suggested is a good idea I run along there quite regularly.

By the way what marathon are you training for? We have several running groups here in Chiang Mai and in the cool season races of varying lengths (usually around 10KM) take place very regularly. I hope you will join!

Cheers.

Try out the Hash House Harriers. They dont take their running too seriously but you will end up seeing lots of Chaing Mai area that you would otherwise not see and some of their members will know good locations for regular exercise. If you don't like drinking beer (many hashers these days are not serious drinkers anyway) or the slightly silly bits you can butt out easily enough.

Google HHH Chiang Mai

Onon!

"Flash Git", Ubon HHH

If you need a place to run or walk daily, and you don't want to ride your bike more than 5-15 mins. from the Old City area, I second the recommendation for Muang Chiang Mai Stadium off Chang Phuak Road (about 5 mins. walk from TOPS/Mercure Hotel). It's where us proletariat go to get fit! Really low-key, down-to-earth and (especially) youthful place. Get down with the people, be one... with the people.

Here's one side of it on Street View - just zoom out a scooch to see the stadium and grounds.

http://goo.gl/maps/uNFEl

Forgot to mention. You can also run along canal road on the other side of the canal. About 12k. You might have to run out along the road for a short bit in some areas, but it's all flat with plenty of places to buy water or whatever. Also, the Mae Jo area behind the university is "THE" number one area for serious runners. The Agro center and 700 Year stadium are good for short distance runners (10 to 30k) but you get bored easy. Look up the Chiang Mai House Harriers. You don't have to drink beer after the runs as they have soft drinks as well and as Flash Git said, You will be introduced to every running trail in Chiang Mai. A lot of old gits like myself run with them and they have long distance runs outside the area every couple of months. I organized a 50k run last October. Hot and hard, but lots of fun. P.M. me if you want more info.

Thanks so much for all the great advice! My mind is now at ease that I won't have any problem finding places to run when I move to CM.

I had looked up the HHH and plan to join them for some runs, sounds like fun. I didn't know there were other running groups too. It's nice to know there are other runners around and organised events in the cooler months.

I'm definitely an early morning runner, earlier the better. I like to go running before dawn as I find running in the dark very relaxing but sounds like that won't be an option due to lack of street lighting but I can live with that.

Krupnik, I'm running the Penang Bridge marathon in mid November. Moving to CM in mid July so just around time to start thinking about training.

Farmer Joe, 50k is very admirable! I'll stick to 42.2 at the moment but hopefully see you on some of the shorter runs :)

Desertrose if you are interested in joining us for races in Chiang Mai, this is a good site to use: http://www.forrunnersmag.com/

It shows you the races all over Thailand, but you can specifically look down for the ones in Chiang Mai. Now it is hot season so there are only only about one a month but have a look at previous years to get an idea of the schedule and what will be coming up (usually around October time until March.)

If you want to join a group there are several mostly local Thai populated running groups such as Chang Phueak or we are Dton Yaang Running Club come and speak to any of us at the races. The races usually always start very early in the morning at about 4, 5, or 6 AM when the temperature is the best, so that will suit you. There is a big international marathon in Chiang Mai around Christmas.

Good luck and hope this is helpful!

Krupnik, thanks again.

Is there an English language version of the site you gave the link to?

Yep, you need to click on races first which you will see in English. Then you will see the option to switch to the English version at the top left of the page.

I think that Huay Tung Thao reservoir is the ideal place for a local run. It is 4.5 km around the lake on a rolling, basically level paved road with little traffic. Running around a track is boring, but the track at the park at the south west corner of the inner city is more interesting than most. The dirt road at the far end of Huay Tung Thao climbs up hill through the forest if you want some added adventure.

If you follow the road that goes into Royal Flora from the 121 highway around to the right it will take you into the Mae Hia Agricultural Research Center. There you can put together some nice distances on both paved and dirt roads with almost no traffic and relatively flat.

highly recommended... very quiet roads around here and an excellent place to run & cycle. In fact i'll be down there in an hour or so myself... (it's my local birding patch)

If you follow the road that goes into Royal Flora from the 121 highway around to the right it will take you into the Mae Hia Agricultural Research Center. There you can put together some nice distances on both paved and dirt roads with almost no traffic and relatively flat.

highly recommended... very quiet roads around here and an excellent place to run & cycle. In fact i'll be down there in an hour or so myself... (it's my local birding patch)

I keep hearing birds on my frequent hikes. I just don't see too many close enough for photos. And, if they do they don't stick around for long. I think the birds in Thailand have all learned that the locals are dangerous. Anything that is remotely edible gets killed and eaten.

I keep hearing birds on my frequent hikes. I just don't see too many close enough for photos. And, if they do they don't stick around for long. I think the birds in Thailand have all learned that the locals are dangerous. Anything that is remotely edible gets killed and eaten.

very true.. most avifauna in many built up parts of the Kingdom are very wary of humans. Blink and you'll your camera lens will miss them.

That being said, i took these around Mae Hia this morning...

Grey-breasted Prinia

Green Bee-eater

• Like 1