Call For Commerce, Revenue To Inspect Tourism-Related Businesses Run By Foreigners In Thailand

webfact

As long as there are people with double digit IQs in positions of power in Thailand, then this sort of nonsense will continue. My msz and her friends (almost all uni graduates), are ashamed of the image that these sorts of Thais portray.

Double digit? You're being overly generous . . .

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourists buy their products and services and the revenue goes to the foreign owners instead of the Thai economy," Pol Maj Gen Roy said.

Glad this guy isn't running the country. What complete and utter hogwash. And considering he is part of the tourist police is quite ironic.

His raison d metre is to protect foreigners. His funding exists because of tourists, businesses to largely provide for tourists etc etc.

I agree.

Also, Thais believe everyone thinks the same as they do. Make money and send it back to your family.

• Like 1

"Tourists buy their products and services and the revenue goes to the foreign owners instead of the Thai economy

My dear Pol Maj Gen Roy...in the Police training academy you may or may not have attended...did they not teach you about economic's and capitalism

People invest/start up companies for this exact reason, so they can generate revenue for themselves and investors in said companies...rolleyes.gif

as regards "nominee's" in foreign run companies its hardly suprising is it Pol Maj Gen Roy ? seeing as for the most part a foreigner is only able to own 49% of the company, and Thai shareholders hold the 51% therefore to establish a legal business one actually needs "nominee's" and in effect its goverment sanctioned..

by all means investigate companies for legal compliance per the business laws and make sure said companies are paying their taxes etc

but to state in effect foreigners are "stealing" from the Thai ecomony..

All the foreign owned business I have dealings with are owned by people with a long relationship to Thailand, have been resident for many a long year are married to a Thai, have children etc. but so many Thais like to believe that every Baht earned is immediately shipped overseas.

I live solely on pensions which are either paid here or are accessed via an international ATM card and in essence everything paid to me is spent here as I have no mortgage, insurances etc in another country and there are so many like me. We probably spend more in this country than a large chunk of the Thai population but that is overlooked on the grounds that, irrespective of how long I've been here, I'm about to leave anytime.

The Thais say they love tourist and foreign money but they will applaud you are leaving.

What about all these businesses buying or renting property from Thai people in order to run their businesses.... They want that revenue to continue just so long as your not making any money.... They hate to see a foreign run business be successful.... They really hate it.... Insecure, juvenile, jealous, and racist..... But most of all They don't know how the real world operates to the good of all.

Tourists buy their products and services and the revenue goes to the foreign owners instead of the Thai economy," Pol Maj Gen Roy said.

Glad this guy isn't running the country. What complete and utter hogwash. And considering he is part of the tourist police is quite ironic.

His raison d metre is to protect foreigners. His funding exists because of tourists, businesses to largely provide for tourists etc etc.

Hang on, his job is to look after tourists not business owners, at least get your facts right. He has no problems in believing Thai's can provide the same services as foreign run companies, you may disagree but your statement is untrue.

And absolutely nothing is stopping the Thais from opening their own companies.

In fact if he looks these companies are THAI companies anyway. No business with a majority share structure in foreign hands CAN exist in this business.

So he is chasing something that doesn't exist and he can't find.

"Tourists buy their products and services and the revenue goes to the foreign owners instead of the Thai economy," Pol Maj Gen Roy said

And what about all the Thais working overseas and sending money back to Thailand? Should they be vilified, and stopped from supporting their families in Thailand with money earned overseas?? I'm sure the Thais would be up in arms to even hear such a suggestion.

What we have here typical myopic Thai view carefully worded to create division and maintain that antiquated 'them and us' view status quo. When you read between the lines of these statements. One thing is clear. The is great FEAR in Thailand of the outside world and that fear underpins the controls set on foreigners and also Thais.

They should explain why they are taking money out of foreign countries.

If they own land in foreign country, then I would question their lack of Thai patriotism.

I can't imagine why any Thai would want to leave the number 1 country in the world.

Actually 99% of Thai people I know are very nice, but when I read <deleted> about "bad foreigners" I

really wonder what is going on.

i think youl find he has to justify his job somehow, he reminds me of a jellyfish,,(spineless),,,,,,,my wife wants to move back to england,shes embarrased by there stupidness if im allowed to be so bold,when our dog goes to the big bone in the sky were off i think,,,,

Heaven forbid that there should be competition from competently managed businesses.

Its owned by a foreigner and that automaticlly makes it competenlly managed what planet are you from.

better 50% than zero

Seen it in China. Turn a blind eye to foreign ownership (100% equity) until its a profitable business then demand the law now applies for the 51% local ownership. Before s/he knows it, the foreigner is "voted" out and the local "partner" takes over everything. No local investment in and the foreigner loses everything, no work til it's profitable and then the big take over. It's why knowledgeable investors who do due diligence are abandoning China. If Thai start/continue to do the same thing, sooner of later the investor will get wind of it and bail out. Perhaps the Thais are getting lessons from the Chinese.

Heaven forbid that there should be competition from competently managed businesses.

I have no doubt many Thais would love to be able to takeover successful foreign business then make them fail in no time.

Edited by asupeartea

Intimidation. Pay your protection money or you will be investigated.

Surely it is perfectly legal for Thais to own 51% and foreigners 49% of a business. If no one is breaking the law what does the police hope to achieve?

We probably spend more in this country than a large chunk of the Thai population

I suspect that most foreigners dramatically overestimate our contribution to the economy.

If we all went home tomorrow (expats, not short term tourists) it probably wouldn't have a noticeable effect on the economy at all.

We probably spend more in this country than a large chunk of the Thai population

I suspect that most foreigners dramatically overestimate our contribution to the economy.

If we all went home tomorrow (expats, not short term tourists) it probably wouldn't have a noticeable effect on the economy at all.

I think the condominium sector might feel a pinch as a reasonable chunk of condos are being either bought by Thais to rent to foreigners or being bought by foreigners. If they go tits up the banks might start having to repossess. But as for direct cash injections - Thais through sheer numbers beat foreigners hands down.

Seen it in China. Turn a blind eye to foreign ownership (100% equity) until its a profitable business then demand the law now applies for the 51% local ownership. Before s/he knows it, the foreigner is "voted" out and the local "partner" takes over everything. No local investment in and the foreigner loses everything, no work til it's profitable and then the big take over. It's why knowledgeable investors who do due diligence are abandoning China. If Thai start/continue to do the same thing, sooner of later the investor will get wind of it and bail out. Perhaps the Thais are getting lessons from the Chinese.

I have no doubt many Thais would love to be able to takeover successful foreign business then make them fail in no time.

You can't register a company here with 100 % ownership on most industries. So it's moot.

They still can't grasp that the model is legal.

Your wife owns 51, you own 49. What is their problem? Its LEGAL dumbasses.

Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't the funding for the Thai 51% have to come from Thais and not be Farang funded?

jb1

They still can't grasp that the model is legal.

Your wife owns 51, you own 49. What is their problem? Its LEGAL dumbasses.

Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't the funding for the Thai 51% have to come from Thais and not be Farang funded?

jb1

Sign a piece of paper and it's done. Ownership and control are two different things. Make a gift of the shares also doable.

He us chasing ghosts

Let's just relax and wait for the desaster when ASEAN becomes a cruel reality for this country if they don't pull out of the club...

As long as there are people with double digit IQs in positions of power in Thailand, then this sort of nonsense will continue. My msz and her friends (almost all uni graduates), are ashamed of the image that these sorts of Thais portray.

I'm sure they are suitably impressed by the idiot senator who wanted a court to issue a court order banning Mr. T from using Skype, that defies description.

Surely it is perfectly legal for Thais to own 51% and foreigners 49% of a business. If no one is breaking the law what does the police hope to achieve?

There is mention of examining tax records - I guess, as is happening the world over, the emphasis is on tracking tax dodgers. What is wrong with that?

There is mention of examining tax records - I guess, as is happening the world over, the emphasis is on tracking tax dodgers. What is wrong with that?

Oooooh. Chase tax from the foreigners. Of course Thais all pay every baht.

• Like 2

YEP! and just think of all those starving people in ISAAN rolleyes.gif

We are talking about a country which is very proud about not having been colonised by the empire-building French, Portuguese, Spanish, British and Russians. Many falangs turn up in Thailand, steeped in our country's taught histories of being 'colonisers', or are from a country which is now a superpower. I would not be at all surprised if many Thais feel that us falangs are trying to 'impose' or worse, 'control' Thailand by stealth. I can to some extent understand why Thais might think this way, as up until the not too distant past, Thailand watched on as all of it's colonised neighbours were systematically abused by their falang 'overlords' who then hauled off what profits they made, out of these countries.

• Like 1

We are talking about a country which is very proud about not having been colonised by the empire-building French, Portuguese, Spanish, British and Russians. Many falangs turn up in Thailand, steeped in our country's taught histories of being 'colonisers', or are from a country which is now a superpower. I would not be at all surprised if many Thais feel that us falangs are trying to 'impose' or worse, 'control' Thailand by stealth. I can to some extent understand why Thais might think this way, as up until the not too distant past, Thailand watched on as all of it's colonised neighbours were systematically abused by their falang 'overlords' who then hauled off what profits they made, out of these countries.

Rambling, we are but the bogeyman whilst another ethnic group actually runs the country. China went through their problems to get rid of them.

Where they landed, I wouldn't want to say directly.

Edited by Thai at Heart