3G Mobile Services Attracting Large Numbers Of Users, Kicks Off In Thailand

3G mobile services attracting large numbers of users, kicks off today
By English News

1367887459991.jpg

BANGKOK, May 7 – Fierce competition in Thailand’s mobile phone services will compel three major operators to reduce fees for third-generation (3G) wireless broadband on the 2.1 gigahertz frequency at less than 15 per cent which was as earlier imposed by the authority, it was disclosed.

Settapong Malisuwan, vice chairman of the National Broadcast and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), said operators have been instructed to expand their networks to cover 50 per cent of the country’s area in two years, but it turns out that they will possibly complete their task by the end of this year as they are sharing broadband towers.

The country’s three operators will roll out their 3G mobile services, starting with Advanced Info Service (AIS) today, True Move tomorrow and DTAC on Thursday.

Col Sethapong, chairman of the NBTC telecom committee, said 2G mobile service will continue as the concessions have yet to expire.

NBTC will ensure that operators provide efficient 2G service to users, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-07

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news..

ITU: Thailand better be prepared for 4G and 5G

BANGKOK, 5 May 2013: -- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) urges Thailand to use 700 MHz band for 4G and 5G in order to catch up with other ASEAN countries. Thailand has just provided 3G-2.1MHz services for mobile users, more than ten years behind other countries, the ITU says.

ITU Secretary-General Hamadoun Toure said 700 MHz band, now used in the broadcasting business, could be used with telecommunications as the country was about to change from analogue to digital TV. If Thailand was ready, the ITU would send a team to help study the use of 700 MHz with 4G and 5G mobile telecommunications standards, he said.

The secretary-general stated further that the ITU would treat Thailand’s 3G-2.1MHz auctions with reasonable prices as a case study frequency auctions in Europe at present. The European spectrum actions had high auction prices which affected its telecommunication industry, Mr Toure said.

Deputy Chairman of the Thai National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission Col. Setthaphong Malisuwan said the commission would urgently study the use of 700MHz band in the telecommunication industry in Thailand with care. The country’s telecommunication master plan must be revised if 700 MHz band was adopted for mobile use.

-- Pattaya Mail 2013-05-07

• Like 2

I was having trouble with maintaining contact with the internet using an AIS air stick it would keep disconnecting and I would have to reboot it.

When I took the stick in to the AIS office here in Chiang Mai they took the stick which was only two months old as they had replaced the old one.

They tested it and said the stick was OK they spent time with it on their computer and returned it to me and said that the problem would be fixed in May,

Will this have any thing to do with the air stick using for the internet?

Edit

I have not renewed it as I do have a free 3BB here where I live but it is not always working and some times it is so slow I can get a nap while waiting.

Edited by hellodolly

I was having trouble with maintaining contact with the internet using an AIS air stick it would keep disconnecting and I would have to reboot it.

When I took the stick in to the AIS office here in Chiang Mai they took the stick which was only two months old as they had replaced the old one.

They tested it and said the stick was OK they spent time with it on their computer and returned it to me and said that the problem would be fixed in May,

Edit

I have not renewed it as I do have a free 3BB here where I live but it is not always working and some times it is so slow I can get a nap while waiting.

Probably it's more to do with where you live, than the aircard. From their response I'm guessing that the towers in your area are scheduled to have their equipment updated. It may well have been the ongoing work of installation and testing that caused the interruptions.

Coincidentally mine worked perfectly for months but in recent weeks has required the odd reboot and occasionally loses signal altogether for short periods... I thought it might be rain & power issues but in hindsight it's possible the tower(s) near me are also being worked on.

So I may take it that starting from Thursday my Dtac 3G connection will improve over the 40 KB/s download speed and not cut off anymore when 90% of downloaded file is reached ?

Edit

Probably it's more to do with where you live, than the aircard. From their response I'm guessing that the towers in your area are scheduled to have their equipment updated. It may well have been the ongoing work of installation and testing that caused the interruptions.

Coincidentally mine worked perfectly for months but in recent weeks has required the odd reboot and occasionally loses signal altogether for short periods... I thought it might be rain & power issues but in hindsight it's possible the tower(s) near me are also being worked on.

Thanks for your answer I really am tech challenged and was not sure of any thing other than they had tested the stick and said the problem would be solved in May.

My problem had been going on for a couple of months and it was only in the last few weeks leading up to April 25 that it got real bad 10 minutes and have to reboot it.

Now I guess I should look into getting a smart phone and see if it is dumb enough for me to understand it.

They tested it and said the stick was OK they spent time with it on their computer and returned it to me and said that the problem would be fixed in May,.

Which frequency ? Sounds like 2100 Mhz. I am sticking to 900 MHz for my AIS sim as the " launch " is more a marketing ploy than a real 2100 MHz roll out. Most likely your issue is lack of cell sites until they roll out 2100 MHz nation wide which will take quite some time still.

Does anyone know if their 2100 roams back on their 900 MHz 3G ? If so I wud try it

Edited by skippybangkok

Hang on, my iPhone has been showing 3G for a very long time, you mean I had been ripped off all this while?

Yes, but not for the reason you think.

• Like 1

Instead of criticizing, I applause. thanks for the great work. For those who think there is such a huge difference between 3 and 4G.... I think a normal user won't see much of a difference, but will see it on his phone as it will die much faster than 3G. They have not been able to overcome the power consumption issue with the introduction of 4G. So, even tomorrow, I get the choice between 3 or 4G, I'll stick with the 3G just because of the battery life that is once more scarified for a tiny bit of more speed.

Your information could not be more incorrect. When I am in the US using a 4G network, my ACTUAL download speeds are around 9MB, and my uploads average 4MB. Sometimes my speeds on 4G exceed my wireless speeds. So, there is a HUGE difference between 3G, and 4G. Of course, the 3G in Thailand is slower than most. How long till we have 4G in Thailand? Five years? They have had 3G now in rural Africa for years.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I noticed better AIS 3G appear over the weekend, at least in central Bangkok. Prior to this it wasn't so much that their data connection was slow (although it was), what really bothered me was that the signal would drop constantly.

Case in point, there are 3 of us who get driven to work from Sukumvit to Bang Pa In. We all happen to use different providers. The True guy can maintain a Skype voice conversation almost the entire way. Dropped the signal only once. The DTAC guy only fares slightly worse. Me, on AIS, I can't do anything. I mean really nothing, it is so bad. Using one of the other 2 as a wifi hotspot I can get a connection that is umpteen times better.

Now I get an AIS 3G signal until I reach northern Rangsit, at which time it changes to Edge. The signal is still inconsistent and drops no matter what however. I've already submitted my documents to have my number ported to DTAC. No more AIS for me.

Instead of criticizing, I applause. thanks for the great work. For those who think there is such a huge difference between 3 and 4G.... I think a normal user won't see much of a difference, but will see it on his phone as it will die much faster than 3G. They have not been able to overcome the power consumption issue with the introduction of 4G. So, even tomorrow, I get the choice between 3 or 4G, I'll stick with the 3G just because of the battery life that is once more scarified for a tiny bit of more speed.

Ahem. 3G has a technical max of around 20 MBit nowadays, the standard speed is 7.2 MBit

4G (LTE) has a technical max of 100 Mbit, of course this can be also capped if you want to seperate low-cost and high-end contracts.

Being 10-12 years late is no reason to applaud anything. Please, the NBTC needs to be condemned as much as it possibly can so that in the future they don't lose their 'face' and at least implements it when everyone else does.

Being 10-12 years late is no reason to applaud anything. Please, the NBTC needs to be condemned as much as it possibly can so that in the future they don't lose their 'face' and at least implements it when everyone else does.

Totally agree, Thailand sucks. I'm only getting 12 Mbps.

Sure we've only had inexpensive, nationwide 3G for the last two years but we all know Cambodia has 9G already.

post-9615-0-47124600-1367909443_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sure we've only had inexpensive, nationwide 3G for the last two years but we all know Cambodia has 9G already.

2692454352.png

Must be that we are in a different nation then.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Ahem. 3G has a technical max of around 20 MBit nowadays, the standard speed is 7.2 MBit

4G (LTE) has a technical max of 100 Mbit, of course this can be also capped if you want to seperate low-cost and high-end contracts.

Nope, the technical max of 3G as used by both dtac and true-h is 42 mbps.

The practical max is usually over 10 mbps.

Most often speeds are lower due to lack of capacity on the backbone.

As a side note, on true-h I usually get between 1and 9 mbps. Reasonably stable throughout their coverage area.

Dtac between 0,5 and 2mbps, but with dtac much more location dependant.

Ais, outside of Bangkok usable, but very variable, can be anywhere between 0,3 and 2 mbps.

In Bangkok I found Ais to be weird. Some area's, even with full signal strength, virtually no data troughput at all using 3g. Had to force onto 2G just to check email.

Other area's, usually inside office buildings, it was pretty fast at over 3 mbps consistently.

All pre- 2100 mhz.

As a side note, now in Belgium where they are rolling out 4G, 3G is pretty pathetic. In 3 weeks never seen over 1mbps, usually it putters along at Thai 2G speeds!

They do have some QOS going on as voip including video skype is pretty smooth. But surfing/downloading is crappy.

Used 2 different providers atm, and all the same!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Fierce competition in Thailand’s mobile phone services will compel three major operators to reduce fees for third-generation (3G) wireless broadband on the 2.1 gigahertz frequency at less than 15 per cent which was as earlier imposed by the authority, it was disclosed."

Can someone explain that (far too long) sentence, to me. "at less than 15 per cent which was as earlier imposed" Dose this mean some fee or levy that was there is being removed?

"Fierce competition in Thailand’s mobile phone services will compel three major operators to reduce fees for third-generation (3G) wireless broadband on the 2.1 gigahertz frequency at less than 15 per cent which was as earlier imposed by the authority, it was disclosed."

Can someone explain that (far too long) sentence, to me. "at less than 15 per cent which was as earlier imposed" Dose this mean some fee or levy that was there is being removed?

Sent from my B1-A71 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Written badly. If I remember correctly a drop of price by 15%. This was part of the requirements when they issued the 3G licenses.

This refers to two issues, more or less:

1.) The NBTC was criticized for letting the 2100 MHz spectrum go for the (almost) minimum during the auction. In order to save face they said that they would demand that service providers offer 2100 MHz services for (at least) 15% less than current rates. Not sure the NBTC can dictate prices though?

2.) In the old, "Concession world", service providers pay ~ 30% of revenue, while in the new "Auction world" they pay ~ 7% - in addition to the amount they paid at auction - so in theory their gross margin is 23% greater, which means that they should be able to offer similar services at lower price points.

For the most part there isn't a lot of outright price competition here aimed at snatching customers away here, and service providers generally match each other on price/package, while competing on other factors: coverage, customer service, celebrity spokespersons.

• Like 1

AIS are completely unprepared for this - their customer service is appalling, their agents know nothing of the service, the users and the machines wanting to use it.

With pre-pay they don't even have a user-friendly top-up system in place.

Basically they have instigated the service without giving a single thought about how their customers can use it.

Personally I have found AIS customer services far outstrip TRUE and DTAC. At least they will follow a problem through I keep calling the customer to check if the problem is solved.. TRUE customer servicesvisba farce, there operatives just keep telling you to do the same thing and you never get callback..

In my area AIS is the only service provider that can provide a usable service. It may only be EDGE, but the other two cannot even provide that.

• Like 1

2692454352.png

Looks like you are Fuped, or otherwise limited, at 384 Kbps?

What plan do you have?

2692454352.png

Looks like you are Fuped, or otherwise limited, at 384 Kbps?

What plan do you have?

You know very well which plan I have Lomatopo, I have a 3GB unlimited and that my balance is far from finished, as I have posted this many times already on this forum.This is my regular speed. By the way as soon as my allowance is used up my speed improves to 50 - 60 KB/s laugh.png

But you simply keep denying the facts. My modem signal is 59% by the way and the signal tower is about 1Km from my home.

If you think these announcements are great news, just wait until next week!

I have it on good authority that the Thai telco's will be unveiling their latest technology, 'Dial up'.

Edited by Judo Chop

Which frequency ? Sounds like 2100 Mhz. I am sticking to 900 MHz for my AIS sim as the " launch " is more a marketing ploy than a real 2100 MHz roll out. Most likely your issue is lack of cell sites until they roll out 2100 MHz nation wide which will take quite some time still.

Does anyone know if their 2100 roams back on their 900 MHz 3G ? If so I wud try it

AIS English customer service told me the other day that their coming 2100 Mhz 3G service, which will be used for both voice and data, will automatically roam to their native 900 Mhz service in the event a customer moves to an area where they don't have 2100 Mhz service available as yet -- assuming their mobile device supports the 900 Mhz 3G band.