3G Mobile Services Attracting Large Numbers Of Users, Kicks Off In Thailand

When I was in Pattaya city that night, Iwas able to connect to the 52003 network there, but when I returned home after a short while it disconnected and not possible to connect again, however the network is visible.

And we have a winner.

If you're able to connect to other 52003 cells but not the 52003 you can see from home, then the problem is local to you. There's some humbug in the data in the configuration of your local cell site (or the radio's up, but it's not yet fully configured). If you want them to fix it, this information will point them in the right direction (although why they haven't already noticed that no-one (presumably) is able to connect to 52003 via that particular cell, is another story).

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Thai social media and forums there are a fair amount of speedtest results posted which clearly show "520-03" in the status bar and indicate quite acceptable results.

Both the Open Signal and Network Signal Info apps should give accurate and reliable results assuming you have enabled mobile data/disabled WiFi and have a GPS signal. You should be able to see the signal strength, CID and LAC of the base station, all other nearby base-stations, network name, type, data state, etc.

post-9615-0-05546200-1369015608_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

When I was in Pattaya city that night, Iwas able to connect to the 52003 network there, but when I returned home after a short while it disconnected and not possible to connect again, however the network is visible.

And we have a winner.

If you're able to connect to other 52003 cells but not the 52003 you can see from home, then the problem is local to you. There's some humbug in the data in the configuration of your local cell site (or the radio's up, but it's not yet fully configured). If you want them to fix it, this information will point them in the right direction (although why they haven't already noticed that no-one (presumably) is able to connect to 52003 via that particular cell, is another story).

I wanted to edit to add this p.s. but was too late. In hindsight, it could also be that you're on the very edge of that tower's coverage area. Just because your phone can "see" it doesn't mean your phone can effectively talk to it. (Think back to the old days of analog tv - or present day in Th if you have an antenna - your tv will likely be able to lock onto some stations when you 'autotune' but they will be completely unwatchable. What's happening is that even though your tv can see the carrier, the snr is such that all you will get on the screen is snow.)

That would be easy to verify - simply get in your car and move a bit closer to the tower (assuming you can identify it).

Instead of criticizing, I applause. thanks for the great work. For those who think there is such a huge difference between 3 and 4G.... I think a normal user won't see much of a difference, but will see it on his phone as it will die much faster than 3G. They have not been able to overcome the power consumption issue with the introduction of 4G. So, even tomorrow, I get the choice between 3 or 4G, I'll stick with the 3G just because of the battery life that is once more scarified for a tiny bit of more speed.

Being 10-12 years late is no reason to applaud anything. Please, the NBTC needs to be condemned as much as it possibly can so that in the future they don't lose their 'face' and at least implements it when everyone else does.

Totally agree, Thailand sucks. I'm only getting 12 Mbps.

Sure we've only had inexpensive, nationwide 3G for the last two years but we all know Cambodia has 9G already.

Yes, the US, Canada, And Europe have 4G and Cambodia has 9G. What planet are you living on? Where is your information source?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

At Siam I could "see" the following networks (52003 = AIS/2100 MHz 3G; 52004 = TrueMove H/2100 MHz 3G; no sign of DTAC/52005).

I'm not sure what TH 3G+ is, exactly. TH GSM 1800 is DPC, a small AIS entity.

post-9615-0-89777500-1369029488_thumb.jp

DTAC expanding 3G network, installing new 2G equipment

The Nation March 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Total Access Communication Plc (Dtac) is expanding its 3G network to cover an additional 3,000 base stations nationwide by the end of 2012, in its bid to create the best data network.

With a total of 5,000 base stations nationwide, it hopes to bring enhanced quality and speed to customers, in line with the company's promise to provide 3G service to every district, and its continued efforts to bring the future technology to consumers all over Thailand.

According to Jon Eddy Abdullah, chief executive officer, the investment is set at Bt8-Bt9 billion, well within the 2012 capital expenditure guideline. "Dtac is highly committed to provide the best network experience to our customers. We continue investing in the best technology for 3G network expansion on 850 MHz. We will complete 2,000 base stations, covering 45 provinces nationwide in March. With the fast-growing data demand, we have committed to an additional 3,000 base stations by the end of 2012," he said.

Dtac also announced that on the national 2G network upgrade, the all new equipment installation of more than 10,000 base stations, is progressing as planned and should be completed by the end of this year. This promises enhanced voice quality and data speed. Furthermore, the network upgrade with the most advanced technology available in Thailand would bring dtac into the forefront of technology readiness for 3G 2.1 GHz and the latest 4G, LTE technology as well.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Dtac-expanding-3G-network-installing-new-2G-equipm-30178518.html

DTAC expanding 3G network, installing new 2G equipment

The Nation March 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Total Access Communication Plc (Dtac) is expanding its 3G network to cover an additional 3,000 base stations nationwide by the end of 2012, in its bid to create the best data network.

With a total of 5,000 base stations nationwide, it hopes to bring enhanced quality and speed to customers, in line with the company's promise to provide 3G service to every district, and its continued efforts to bring the future technology to consumers all over Thailand.

According to Jon Eddy Abdullah, chief executive officer, the investment is set at Bt8-Bt9 billion, well within the 2012 capital expenditure guideline. "Dtac is highly committed to provide the best network experience to our customers. We continue investing in the best technology for 3G network expansion on 850 MHz. We will complete 2,000 base stations, covering 45 provinces nationwide in March. With the fast-growing data demand, we have committed to an additional 3,000 base stations by the end of 2012," he said.

Dtac also announced that on the national 2G network upgrade, the all new equipment installation of more than 10,000 base stations, is progressing as planned and should be completed by the end of this year. This promises enhanced voice quality and data speed. Furthermore, the network upgrade with the most advanced technology available in Thailand would bring dtac into the forefront of technology readiness for 3G 2.1 GHz and the latest 4G, LTE technology as well.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Dtac-expanding-3G-network-installing-new-2G-equipm-30178518.html

You are aware that the article in your post is 14 months out of date ?

Seems that they have done a good job taking in consideration that Dtac is the only one who hasn't their official 3G network active yet.

You are aware that the article in your post is 14 months out of date ?

Oops, thanks, I pasted the wrong article. Here is the correct, current article I as trying to paste. Not sure how I did that exactly?

FWIW, DTAC launched their 3G network in August, 2011 I believe.

DTAC may hike 3G expansion budget

Warin Trino

The Nation May 22, 2013 1:00 am

Surge in customers 'calls for further revision of investment'

Total Access Communication (DTAC) may have to raise its investment budget again this year to support the expected rapid increase in customers for third-generation wireless broadband. DTAC has already increased its investment budget from Bt8 billion to 12.5 billion in the first quarter of this year, and the budget is Bt34 billion for the three-year (2013-15) investment plan, said Chatsuda Santanond, head of investor relations.

The investments may be relatively heavy in the first year, she said. They will be funded entirely by loans in view of the projection for relatively low interest rates. However, issuance of debentures is another alternative. DTAC expects single-digit revenue growth and 30-31-per-cent growth in earnings before interest, tax and depreciation (EBITD). It believes its investments in its 3G network this year will translate into clear growth figures next year.

During the current transition stage from 2G to full 3G, it is quite difficult to project market growth. However, after the current second quarter the picture should become clearer as 3G networks are fully in place and fully utilised by users. DTAC says it will strive to maintain its current market share of 30 per cent amid expected stiff competition. KGI Securities expects DTAC to focus on the Northeast, with plans to spend about Bt7 billion, or 20 per cent of its investment budget for the 3G 2.1-gigahertz network, as that region's growth potential is better than other parts of the country.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/DTAC-may-hike-3G-expansion-budget-30206677.html

Edited by lomatopo

[quote name="lomatopo" post="6427240" timestamp="1369210905"

FWIW, DTAC launched their 3G network in August, 2011 I believe.

Nope - cause was trail network and greyish legal. It will need to be shut down

Their first license was 2100 MHz recently

Who sez it needs to be shut down?

I far as I'm aware it's the same as AIS who transitioned from a trial to an operating network.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

This slide, from a recent presentation, shows the various spectrum held by AIS, TrueMove and DTAC.

In a recent presentation to analysts, DTAC stated 10,700 GSM (so 2G on 1800 MHz) base-stations, and 5,000 3g/850 MHz base-stations.

It is pretty much accepted, other than by our 'Troomies', that if you have the spectrum, either as a result of a BTO concession, or an auction, you are free to deliver any types of services - voice and/or data - using GSM or 3G or 4G technologies - on that spectrum. Obviously, if using concession spectrum you'd need to pay the higher concession fees.

The lower frequencies cover more area but service fewer customers, while higher frequencies cover less area but service more customers. Hence the desire for higher frequencies in urban areas, and lower frequencies in rural areas, all things being equal, and assuming you have the spectrum available. DTAC has decent in-building penetration with 1800 MHz GSM, and I've experienced no problems with AT&T (1900 MHz) and T-Mobile (1700/2100 or 1900 MHz) in the U.S. - but yes, it is generally acknowledged that the lower frequencies penetrate building farther. Tall structures present challenges as coverage is generally 'aimed' at consumers who are closer to ground level than at 100+ metres.

post-9615-0-43511700-1369392775_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for posting that chart, Loma... I'd always been unclear whether True's 850 Mhz spectrum expired this year along with its 1800 Mhz spectrum. But now I see that it has a different duration and will run much longer. So they'll have 850 in addition to 2100 Mhz for years to come.

However, as much as I have a poor opinion of DTAC as an operator based on their shoddy operational performance in recent years, the chart does seem to show they have the largest amount of available spectrum to deploy and the longest (or about the longest) duration times on that spectrum. That certainly would seem to give them the opportunity, and capacity, to improve their standing.

Now if they could just to operate as an "international" mobile provider instead of as a local, run-on-a-shoestring operation.

PS - How'd they manage to get the whopping 50 Mhz allocation on the 1800 Mhz band???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I'd always been unclear whether True's 850 Mhz spectrum expired this year along with its 1800 Mhz spectrum. But now I see that it has a different duration and will run much longer.

True doesn't 'have' any 850 MHz spectrum per se. The 850 MHz spectrum associated with True, expiring in 2025, is actually a result of their reseller agreement with CAT. This agreement may or may not be 'legal' - yes, we all understand that the term 'legal' has differing meanings here depending which side you are on - and BFKT (True) are supposed to relinquish management of the CAT network, maybe.

That certainly would seem to give them the opportunity, and capacity, to improve their standing.

Yes, DTAC, partly owned by Telenor, seems to be performing quite well in most metrics, and their prospects seem pretty good, assuming the regulatory/political environment remains unchanged. Everyone, save perhaps CAT and TOT, should be pushing for an 1800 MHz auction but my sense is that this may get bogged down for a year or two, unfortunately.

post-9615-0-69261200-1369456567_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I'd always been unclear whether True's 850 Mhz spectrum expired this year along with its 1800 Mhz spectrum. But now I see that it has a different duration and will run much longer.

Using that logic:-

DTAC does not have 1800 nor 850 MHz perse, belongs to CAT

AIS does not have 900 MHz - belongs to TOT.

Using that logic:-

DTAC does not have 1800 nor 850 MHz perse, belongs to CAT

AIS does not have 900 MHz - belongs to TOT.

Nope. Belongs to respective operators until end of contract. Build transfer agreement.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

True doesn't 'have' any 850 MHz spectrum per se. The 850 MHz spectrum associated with True, expiring in 2025, is actually a result of their reseller agreement with CAT. This agreement may or may not be 'legal' - yes, we all understand that the term 'legal' has differing meanings here depending which side you are on - and BFKT (True) are supposed to relinquish management of the CAT network, maybe.

Correct me if I'm wrong Loma, but isn't the entirely of True Move H's current 3G service on the 850 Mhz spectrum running via their CAT reseller agreement? I haven't heard anything lately about anything likely to happen to void/invalidate that agreement (despite the variety of procedural and legal issues that have been raised about it).

True Move's original 1800 Mhz 2G network is coming to an end later this year. And True's new 2100 Mhz 3G service, via the recently awarded auctions, is being run thru True subsidiary Real Future???

• 3 weeks later...