Monthly Costs For A Single Person?

Malthus101

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to be near the Nimman Rd - it's where Thais go out and it looks pretty hip for CM so it's my kind of place. The best there is. I've heard the girls there are the best CM has to offer - I do not plan on paying to have women here - I know it's the done thing in the LOS but I'd rather make the effort and find middle class girls who are not pros. (and of course I will have to learn Thai too) - and I am NOT paying for her life either. I support women's lib! tongue.png

Right...., as in "I hope you like your right hand". Contrary to western perceptions, virginity is rampant among middle class Thai university women. Unless you look like a K-Pop boy band star you're going to find that the non-pros want a long term commitment from someone who can take care of them, and they'll want a considerable investment in time before they let you get anywhere. Also, unless you have a true gift for languages you'll find that learning Thai isn't a quick and easy thing to do.

I want to be near the Nimman Rd - it's where Thais go out and it looks pretty hip for CM so it's my kind of place. The best there is. I've heard the girls there are the best CM has to offer - I do not plan on paying to have women here - I know it's the done thing in the LOS but I'd rather make the effort and find middle class girls who are not pros. (and of course I will have to learn Thai too) - and I am NOT paying for her life either. I support women's lib! tongue.png

Right...., as in "I hope you like your right hand". Contrary to western perceptions, virginity is rampant among middle class Thai university women. Unless you look like a K-Pop boy band star you're going to find that the non-pros want a long term commitment from someone who can take care of them, and they'll want a considerable investment in time before they let you get anywhere. Also, unless you have a true gift for languages you'll find that learning Thai isn't a quick and easy thing to do.

I agree with this quote. ..best of luck to you Malthus101. It's not easy at all with this group if you are seeking a hot thing under 30 and the woman you like at Nimman who are middle class are not going to be easily impressed by your USD$1000 budget.

I know there will be some that get this lucky but unless you have looks & dance like a KPOP star, have a personality like Yogi, it will be a hard sell and you will get your ego bashed in many ways quickly among this group as they tend to keep among themselves....think gossip girl thai bitch style ;-)

Most make more than that in a month and in their perception and upbringing, the man needs to bring home the bacon. So if they make 50-80k per month, where they hang out, who they hang out with and what are the financial stability of the person are real concerns befoer they will go steady with anyone. They are already very comfortable and since you mention the words " the best CM has to offer" then like the Hamptons...it will cost you. Think 4 Seasons high tea, Chedi, brunches, flight trips to BKK for shopping etc...most of these girls in these groups have been to Europe & well traveled...so they can spot a fake rather easily.

Virginity is real among this group...it's hard to see them having more than 1 sex partner at all if any if they are not a virgin.

So if you add the time & effort plus all the lessons, you are looking at the long haul with this group...but if you hit strides and hit the holy grail....do tell us the tricks ;-)

dude, do you have a visa? what about the cost of maintaining some legal status in thailand. this can get expensive!

Nonsense.

Shoebox apartment = 3k p/m

Food = 3 x 30b p/d.

Why people need more than 6k p/m is just beyond me. I don't want for anything and budget for 5,700.

You obviously don't have a girlfriend. If you did, you would understand why most guys need over 6k p/m to live on. OMG!!

Utter nonsense.

Unless you pay for your *ahem* 'girlfriend'. whistling.gif

What part is "utter nonsense?"

Guys, I HAVE insurance already, I got a years cover before leaving the UK. If I fall off a scooter and break an arm, I'm covered. If I lose the arm, I'm not. If I hit someone, I'm not covered to pay their expenses. It wasn't even an option (3rd party)

I don't think the roads look too bad - we drive on the left in the UK so I'm used to that. I also used a bicycle in London for 8 years with no accident so, touch wood, I have a fair amount of road sense.

I don't take tuk-tuk anymore - they are just for tourists having fun, too expensive for what they are. The red buses are fine for now.

I don't want to live a whole year in a guesthouse or hotel or even a managed condo - I want my own place, that is private, where I can install my own private ethernet connected high-speed internet service. If I want to bring people back for a little party, I don't want guesthouse workers getting all upset.

Loi Kroh is not where I want to hang out, I'll leave that to the retirees you see all over the place.

I think 30,000 a month is totally OK, so thanks for your help with assessments of what bills are likely to cost etc.

If anyone has food places they think are really good but cheapish (70 Baht and under for a main dish) please let me know, any part of the city. Like I said, the Lemontree was the best I've had so far, bit more expensive. Green curry (big) with rice and a small beer came to 150 Baht. Every now and then this will be fine. I like the fried rice you find in little cafe places. 30 Baht, who can complain? You feel hungry 5 minutes later but once or twice a day, I can do that!

I have found coffee to be hugely varied in price. Starbucks (which is shit coffee to begin with) is waaay too expensive - 75 for a small Americano I think. Even a posh restaurant place in the centre of the old city only charges 40. Still a lot. I found a little mobile stall outside the Tesco Lotus on Niman Rd, opposite the Starbucks - 25 for a very nice black coffee. I recommend if you pass by or live there, they even ground the beans especially for my cup!

Anyway, thanks for your tips... and your concern! More area recommendations still welcomed.

You have the right attitude. You'll be fine.

Yeah, I want a 1 bed around Nimman - here's something:

http://chiangmaiproperties.co.th/condo/rent/1-Bedroom-condo-with-1-bathroom-and-fully-furnished-in-103-Condo-Project--2/C508.aspx

7500 a month. Plus bills, call it 10K.

My budget actually can go to around 50K a month if I don't blow it all on other crap in the meantime.

So that's 1300 ish per day. How the £$%^ are you guys managing to spend that per day? Even if food was 300 a day that's 1000 left over for fuel, internet, mobile phone.... That leaves plenty of room for beers etc.

It's not like every single day I need to drink beer or eat Western food. I checked out Butter is Better today - 90 Baht for a big cinamon cake and a large black coffee. Really nice treat. Breakfast was shit (still have to think about what to do for breakfast) lunch was 35 baht (chicken fried rice) dinner was 45 Baht (chicken with cashew nuts and rice - vert tasty.) Now drinking a beer I bought yesterday, 44 Baht.

So I might need a dentist now and then, a haircut, a blow out night at a club.... This leaves plenty over... especially given that there appears to be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING GOING ON HERE ANYWAY!!

This is a sleepy old town, expecially the old city. Where the hell is all the action? It's like a retirement village! I'm hoping Nimmon is better! Or else I might just pack up and head back to BKK and shorten my stay.

We shall see... Once I'm "hooked up", hopefully things will improve.

Peace - especially to you Old Douche as I like to refer to you now!

If you are bored already maybe you should look for somewhere else. Nimmanhaeman area is no different than other areas. Some nice places; clubs, restaurants, etc., some not so nice. Phuket has a lot of action. But will be WAY more expensive. You could not pay me to live in BKK, but to each their own. Maybe you will like BKK.

jbrain, don't worry, I know your post is not directed at me.

I did not mention my budget because I don't knowwhat it is. I don't have house or car payments to make. Most of all, our kids are grown who need no financial help from us. In fact, each of our 2 kids gave us USD10k each for the 2 bedrooms reserved for them when they come for visit every year.

Yup, having children in Thailand is the killer on the budget.

This must be topic number 378 this month with the question if it is possible to survive as a clochard in Thailand.

May I suggest to the adminstrators of this board to have a running ticker at the top of the portal page which get's updated every so many seconds if a new record in low cost living is established.

Perhaps it's more interesting to read about what it needs for a high cost living?

No my take on all these threads is, that if you need to scratch all your nickel together to survive every month, then stay in your homecountry where you can go to the social security if you can't survive and don't go live in a foreign country.

But Jbrain, only if someones home country is deepest Mexico could they find equivalent rent to Chiang Mai. Thats WHY people come here. It's why I'm here. 5000 Baht rent per month? That's £125 per month rent. If I were to find similar accomodation in London (where I'm from) and I MEAN a small shoebox studio waaaaay further out of town than a shoebox here, I would be paying at the very minimum, £1,000 a month, or 40,000 Baht.

5,000 here or 40,000 to live in a xxxxxx, freezing cold city full of total scumbags.

You do the Math!

"...city full of total scumbags." Interesting perspective of London.

http://chiangmaiproperties.co.th/condo/rent/1-Bedroom-condo-with-1-bathroom-and-fully-furnished-in-103-Condo-Project--2/C508.aspx

My budget actually can go to around 50K a month if I don't blow it all on other crap in the meantime.

So that's 1300 ish per day. How the £$%^ are you guys managing to spend that per day? Even if food was 300 a day that's 1000 left over for fuel, internet, mobile phone.... That leaves plenty of room for beers etc.

It's not like every single day I need to drink beer or eat Western food. I checked out Butter is Better today - 90 Baht for a big cinamon cake and a large black coffee. Really nice treat. Breakfast was shit (still have to think about what to do for breakfast) lunch was 35 baht (chicken fried rice) dinner was 45 Baht (chicken with cashew nuts and rice - vert tasty.) Now drinking a beer I bought yesterday, 44 Baht.

So I might need a dentist now and then, a haircut, a blow out night at a club.... This leaves plenty over... especially given that there appears to be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING GOING ON HERE ANYWAY!!

This is a sleepy old town, expecially the old city. Where the hell is all the action? It's like a retirement village! I'm hoping Nimmon is better! Or else I might just pack up and head back to BKK and shorten my stay.

If you are bored already maybe you should look for somewhere else. Nimmanhaeman area is no different than other areas. Some nice places; clubs, restaurants, etc., some not so nice. Phuket has a lot of action. But will be WAY more expensive. You could not pay me to live in BKK, but to each their own. Maybe you will like BKK.

Pattaya is the cheapest beach town in LOS with lots of decent restaurants and lots of action. I rather live here, but that is probably because all my friends are here and I am quickly turning into an old fart.

angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

The City and London are not the same thing. When it comes to The City I'm inclined to agree with him. tongue.png

First of all, clearly your questions have inflamed the wrath of "dudes-with-nothing-better-to-do-but-sit-on-ThaiVisa-and-rage"

second, your budget is enough to live comfortably as long as you keep your wits about you.

Third, allow me to use this opportunity to pass along my nifty Chiang Mai Eats google map. I sort of crowd sourced this last year as a way for people to find cheap but good (as suggested by TV posters) place to eat around the city. http://goo.gl/maps/0RTgV

Good luck.

Thanks - I'll check the map out.

The City and London are not the same thing. When it comes to The City I'm inclined to agree with him. tongue.png

Yeah well, after living in East London for a few years, you might come around to my point of view! wink.png

I can honestly say I am not missing London at all - I'm done with it. But I am pining for a busier place. Having said that though, each day here I seem to relax into it a bit more.

I just wish it wasn't so hot during the day - I'm finding I'm spending from about midday until 6pm in my room just to avoid the sun. But, I can wish all I like... this is Thailand after all. Rather this than the biting cold winters of the UK which last about 9 months of the year.

Anyone here got a place that is their favourite to live around Chiang Mai? I'm sill finding it hard to get a decent response on that subject. I'd like to find somewhere close to everything but not in the Old City. That Nimman area still looks the best bet but someone described it as a "ghetto" - how so?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah well, after living in East London for a few years, you might come around to my point of view! wink.png

I can honestly say I am not missing London at all - I'm done with it. But I am pining for a busier place. Having said that though, each day here I seem to relax into it a bit more.

I just wish it wasn't so hot during the day - I'm finding I'm spending from about midday until 6pm in my room just to avoid the sun. But, I can wish all I like... this is Thailand after all. Rather this than the biting cold winters of the UK which last about 9 months of the year.

Anyone here got a place that is their favourite to live around Chiang Mai? I'm sill finding it hard to get a decent response on that subject. I'd like to find somewhere close to everything but not in the Old City. That Nimman area still looks the best bet but someone described it as a "ghetto" - how so?

Thanks.

Several years ago I came up to visit my friend and his wife in CM. Don't remember exactly how many years but it's less than 5. They lived at Baan Thai just off Ninmman in a soi that leads into Prasert Land. It's close to Kanary Service Apartment and across where the Monkey Club is. I think they paid only B5,500 per month then. You can check it out or very likely other expats could give you a headsup.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I'm with you. I am a Londoner and I can't stand the grasping aggressive people there any more. the Northerners are way nicer - and have better food.

With regards the heat. As a young kid I had a couple of years in Cyprus. no aircon at all. Everyone started work at 6.30 (worked Sat mornings as well) and finished at noon. had a sleep till late afternoon and then the shops reopened untill ten at night. We always walked about at night and had dinner out - kebab down on the waterfront. I guess it would suit me to sleep through the hottest part of the day.

• Like 1

So if Nimman Rd is too "Hi So" and around the Old City is retirees with ex-bargirls as wives... where is the middle ground?

Or does it not exist in this town of Chiang Mai?

Thanks.

Nimmanhamin isn't all hi-so, there is a mix of people and even some prostitutes that hang out in the popular places, though much more discretely than on Loi Kroh. I assume the prostitutes after the men who think they're going to find a college girl.

In one regard Thailand is like everywhere else; the rich can afford to be immoral and the poor can't afford to be moral, so morality and traditional values are the preserve of the middle class. However in Thailand the young single middle class women are very concerned about their reputation, so much so that many don't want to be seen with a foreign man outside of a work or classroom environment (the sex tourists and sex-pats have given us a bad reputation). The challenges aren't insurmountable, if you take things slow you may end up in a relationship with a wonderful young lady, but you're unlikely to find one-night stands with any women other than pros.

You wrote that you're a student and indicated you want to learn Thai. Will you study on campus? If so, find someone to help you with your studies. Start out making Thai friends and go from there, but expect things to proceed slowly. If you find a middle class university student girl friend you may spend months working up to a first kiss.

One final thought, you might want to look into an apartment in the Santitham area. It's less hi-so than Nimmanhamin, and the students are more likely from to be Rajaphat University, which is the poor man's university--the women are less hi-so, less middle class, and more eager to land a man. Just be aware that some of these students are also pros.

Thanks for the tips - to be honest, I've spent most of today checking out the prices of condos in BKK - it's not that bad at all - they have some really nice ones for between 15K-20K, near to the MRT. That would leave me 30,000 Baht a month in BKK for bills and food and fun.

Not a huge sum for BKK but I know I could do it.

I think CM is too tiny for me - BKK may have terrible traffic and polution but at least it has vice and zest! Walking round the Sunday market tonight, I dunno, it's so twee. Families and couples and girls who have "found spitiuality" vegans/veggies etc... Yuck. I hate that shit! And the Soi where I live, it's like walking round the bars in the Australian outback.

That's what CM feels like to me - a cross between a small village in Feudal Japan, a lefty "organic" hippy market in some twatish part of London and the Australian outback. None of these are very appeailing.

I may pay more in BKK and maybe I won't make a full year but I think I'd rather have the bars and the nightclubs and the hecic streetlife and shopping malls. I'm also happy to run into loads more backpacker girls, if ya know wadda mean! They all seem so stuck up and cliquey here. I had one Swedish looking woman cough and wave her hands in front of her face because I dared to smoke a cigarette at the market! Bitch, it's <deleted> Thaialnd! I hate these do-gooder NGO types... If you don't like Thaialnd, F off back to your boring Western civilsation!

Sorry... ranting... I think the islolation is getting to me!

Aah... Now where's my friend Mr. Chang? There he is, hiding in the fridge again. Come here silly....

So if Nimman Rd is too "Hi So" and around the Old City is retirees with ex-bargirls as wives... where is the middle ground?

Thanks.

Nimmanhamin isn't all hi-so, there is a mix of people and even some prostitutes that hang out in the popular places, though much more discretely than on Loi Kroh. I assume the prostitutes after the men who think they're going to find a college girl.

In one regard Thailand is like everywhere else; the rich can afford to be immoral and the poor can't afford to be moral, so morality and traditional values are the preserve of the middle class. However in Thailand the young single middle class women are very concerned about their reputation, so much so that many don't want to be seen with a foreign man outside of a work or classroom environment (the sex tourists and sex-pats have given us a bad reputation). The challenges aren't insurmountable, if you take things slow you may end up in a relationship with a wonderful young lady, but you're unlikely to find one-night stands with any women other than pros.

You wrote that you're a student and indicated you want to learn Thai. Will you study on campus? If so, find someone to help you with your studies. Start out making Thai friends and go from there, but expect things to proceed slowly. If you find a middle class university student girl friend you may spend months working up to a first kiss.

One final thought, you might want to look into an apartment in the Santitham area. It's less hi-so than Nimmanhamin, and the students are more likely from to be Rajaphat University, which is the poor man's university--the women are less hi-so, less middle class, and more eager to land a man. Just be aware that some of these students are also pros.

Thanks for the tips - to be honest, I've spent most of today checking out the prices of condos in BKK - it's not that bad at all - they have some really nice ones for between 15K-20K, near to the MRT. That would leave me 30,000 Baht a month in BKK for bills and food and fun.

I think CM is too tiny for me - BKK may have terrible traffic and polution but at least it has vice and zest! Walking round the Sunday market tonight, I dunno, it's so twee. Families and couples and girls who have "found spitiuality" vegans/veggies etc... Yuck. I hate that shit! And the Soi where I live, it's like walking round the bars in the Australian outback.

That's what CM feels like to me - a cross between a small village in Feudal Japan, a lefty "organic" hippy market in some twatish part of London and the Australian outback. None of these are very appeailing.

I may pay more in BKK and maybe I won't make a full year but I think I'd rather have the bars and the nightclubs and the hecic streetlife and shopping malls. I'm also happy to run into loads more backpacker girls, if ya know wadda mean! They all seem so stuck up and cliquey here. I had one Swedish looking woman cough and wave her hands in front of her face because I dared to smoke a cigarette at the market! Bitch, it's <deleted> Thaialnd! I hate these do-gooder NGO types... If you don't like Thaialnd, F off back to your boring Western civilsation!

Aah... Now where's my friend Mr. Chang? There he is, hiding in the fridge again. Come here silly....

OK...bye.

'girls who have "found spitiuality" vegans/veggies etc... Yuck. I hate that shit!

'a lefty "organic" hippy market in some twatish part of London'

'They all seem so stuck up and cliquey here'

'I hate these do-gooder NGO types... If you don't like Thaialnd, F off back to your boring Western civilsation!

PURE GOLD! haha, alot of hippy douchebags with dreads here, riding their stupid bicycle 3 metres out from the kerb because they are to concerned about their carbon footprint to ride a motorbike. As for 'cliquey' well unless you have dreads or wear those loose fitting three quarter yoga pants and matching shirt, cry to mummy and daddy on skype to send you more money you wont be part of their little in-crowd.

• Like 1

'girls who have "found spitiuality" vegans/veggies etc... Yuck. I hate that shit!

'a lefty "organic" hippy market in some twatish part of London'

'They all seem so stuck up and cliquey here'

'I hate these do-gooder NGO types... If you don't like Thaialnd, F off back to your boring Western civilsation!

PURE GOLD! haha, alot of hippy douchebags with dreads here, riding their stupid bicycle 3 metres out from the kerb because they are to concerned about their carbon footprint to ride a motorbike. As for 'cliquey' well unless you have dreads or wear those loose fitting three quarter yoga pants and matching shirt, cry to mummy and daddy on skype to send you more money you wont be part of their little in-crowd.

Damn straight! (which is a shame, coz some of them are quite hot.... thumbsup.gif )

• Like 1

Thanks.

Having lived here for over 5 yrs and being in my early 30s i agree with a lot of what you say. You will prefer BKK for sure.

• Like 2

Thanks.

Having lived here for over 5 yrs and being in my early 30s i agree with a lot of what you say. You will prefer BKK for sure.

Thanks man, that's good to hear. Booked my ticket just now. 2nd class sleeper back to BKK this coming Thursday.

Aah... modern metropolitan life here I come!

you think 30,000 is enough for BKK? it's barely enough here - I would say 80,000 min in BKK and 50,000 here but as you seem to like '2nd class sleepers' maybe you'll fit in? rather you than me

Good point. I could live to an acceptable standard in Chiang Mai on that if I had to, but no way in the Big Mango.