Call For Total Smoking Ban At Thailand's Main International Airports

webfact

Good... In my opinion they should make smoking illegal everywhere.

Yes and while at it, beer and booze as well!!! w00t.gif

No I disagree, in moderation booze especially red wine has many health benefits. BTW- Why would you even associate booze with an insidious drug such as tobacco? that's like talking about how bad heroin is then throwing in orange juice to the argument, are you crazy or just an addict?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again, the anti smoking lobby has a field day. Please leave us smokers alone, as we leave the non smokers alone or start banning cars, heavy industry, booze and other things that not healthy for the general public. We have an ex-chancelor in Germany who is now 94, healthy and still a heavy smoker. He does not give TV interviews, if he is not allowed to smoke, so there is one law for the public and one for a few of us. I guess, when he went to China and Singapore lately, he was also allowed to smoke. So why not have an airline for smokers, no it is not allowed by law, so all you non-smokers are hiding behind your government and their rules. Lighten up and be more relaxed and be more tolerant, like you want everyone else to be.

Here we go again, the anti smoking lobby has a field day. Please leave us smokers alone, as we leave the non smokers alone or start banning cars, heavy industry, booze and other things that not healthy for the general public. We have an ex-chancelor in Germany who is now 94, healthy and still a heavy smoker. He does not give TV interviews, if he is not allowed to smoke, so there is one law for the public and one for a few of us. I guess, when he went to China and Singapore lately, he was also allowed to smoke. So why not have an airline for smokers, no it is not allowed by law, so all you non-smokers are hiding behind your government and their rules. Lighten up and be more relaxed and be more tolerant, like you want everyone else to be.

huh, that's a joke.

Like you leave us alone.

Unfortunately non smokers have no choice when you lot are around being ignorant of all around you.

No it's not a joke and I know a lot of places even in Pattaya, where smoking is not tollerated and banned, so just look around and you will find, like I look around and find places where smoking is allowed. You are just a very intollerant person and that is what evrybody can see from your comments. Why should we ban smoking in open bars and other outdoor places. You lot just want to push your so called health concerns on other humans, by hiding behind government rules and laws. That's what you call a nani state.

Why do you think this is?

I really don't care what you do, as long as it doesn't affect me. It's not a health concern at all.

What don't you understand about this?

It is 100% legal to buy tobacco products...when they ban tobacco they can ban the smoking of if...until then leave the smokers alone please

And if they do, just imagine the howls of pain and outrage by the oppressed victims denied their right to satiate their addiction.

It is 100% legal to buy tobacco products...when they ban tobacco they can ban the smoking of if...until then leave the smokers alone please

And if they do, just imagine the howls of pain and outrage by the oppressed victims denied their right to satiate their addiction.

True...but you can't have it both ways. On a side note, they're even trying to ban e-cigs now...all that comes out of those is vapour

Yep. A lot easier than dealing with the air pollution which dramatically exceeds WHO air quality standards. Hey guys ... it's the show not the substance.

If one problem is relatively easier to deal with than another, that means it shouldn't be dealt with?

I would have thought the opposite.

Just as a matter of interest, where are the smoking rooms at Don Muang? I fly from/to there about every other week and since they closed the smoking room behind Burger King, I thought that was that.

The smoking areas are outside at either end of the terminal (departures) as far as I'm aware.

For God's sake is it so hard to make a smoking room that doesn't leak???

The doors are often held open by those using them........

Such generous, considerate souls that they are.

Yes. They do that because even they can only handle so much smoke. Poor souls.

• Like 2

Research finds Suvarnabhumi Airport high on smoke

BANGKOK, 8 May 2013 (NNT) – According to a research conducted by Mahidol University, smoke-developed index (SDI) from cigarette in Thailand’s airports is 4 times higher than in the United States, suggesting that if no measures are taken, people with heart disease or asthma could experience heart failure.

The research was conducted in 4 main airports, including Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, and Chiang Mai Airports. It shows that passengers are being exposed to a high intensity of cigarette smoke, 773 micrograms per cubic meter, which is much higher than the limit Thailand has defined at 50 micrograms per 1 cubic meter. The World Health Organization (WHO) also limits the SDI at only 25 micrograms a cubic meter. The survey also suggests that 58 percent of the smokers at these airports are foreigners.

Mahidol University also revealed that non-smokers with heart disease and asthma who breathe in secondhand smoke could easily experience an immediate heart attack, and in a long run, the secondhand smoke will affect other passengers, causing respiratory diseases like emphysema or lung cancer. As a result, this research will be presented to the Public Health Ministry, so that measures can be taken to reduce the impact of cigarette smoke.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-08 footer_n.gif

well those poor souls definately wouldn't handle the 3 month burning season in Chiangmai, definately far worse than 1 second walk past a smoking room.

• Like 2

well those poor souls definately wouldn't handle the 3 month burning season in Chiangmai, definately far worse than 1 second walk past a smoking room.

And your logic being what? That I shouldn't complain about your smoke because of the burning season in CM? Also, BTW I avoid CM during burning season.

Edited by HerbalEd

Excellent decision.

In all public places hopefully next.

The good people of this Earth should do all we can to help those weaker than ourselves to rid them of this filthy habit that affects us all and they seem to weak to deal with themselves.

Yes and may all the good god loving people save all those others from thier vices, those to weak to resist the tempations and lust of sex industry, alcohol, gambling and using the lords name in vain. May we all become pure with the help of the good people.thumbsup.gif
I love it! Halleluiah, thank the good Lord that he has sent good people to rescue us poor forlorn smokers - I guess child molesters are non-smokers as well right?

huh, that's a joke.

Like you leave us alone.

Unfortunately non smokers have no choice when you lot are around being ignorant of all around you.

No it's not a joke and I know a lot of places even in Pattaya, where smoking is not tollerated and banned, so just look around and you will find, like I look around and find places where smoking is allowed. You are just a very intollerant person and that is what evrybody can see from your comments. Why should we ban smoking in open bars and other outdoor places. You lot just want to push your so called health concerns on other humans, by hiding behind government rules and laws. That's what you call a nani state.
Are you really that clueless? Do you actually think non smokers want to harrass smokers just for the sake of doing so? When will you learn that non-smokers have legitimate concerns that have nothing to do with any personal feelings towards you as an individual? Pure and simple, it's because we do not want your smoke in our eyes, nose and inner body ... and we've finally had enough.

To smokers in general I say: Personally I couldn't care less if you want to smoke yourself to death ... it's your right to do so. But meanwhile, if your ill smoking manners cause me to inhale your second-hand smoke, or my hair and clothes to smell of smoke, or you continue to trash the earth with your butts because you can't be bothered to clean up after yourself, then more and more non-smokers are going to continue harassing you. Get used to it.

Halleluiah brother! You never think that if you don't like something you can easily walk away from it? Sorry, too clever for you?

PS. Yes, I do believe that the good, godly non smoking creatures who, God put on this world to save mankind, want to harrass smokers just for the sake of doing so, usually when these God given non smokers are drunk and about to start a fight mind!

Edited by BrianCR
  • Like 1

Excellent decision.

In all public places hopefully next.

The good people of this Earth should do all we can to help those weaker than ourselves to rid them of this filthy habit that affects us all and they seem to weak to deal with themselves.

Yes and may all the good god loving people save all those others from thier vices, those to weak to resist the tempations and lust of sex industry, alcohol, gambling and using the lords name in vain. May we all become pure with the help of the good people.thumbsup.gif
I love it! Halleluiah, thank the good Lord that he has sent good people to rescue us poor forlorn smokers - I guess child molesters are non-smokers as well right?

Desperation.

• Like 2

I don't smoke, but this is rediculous. Change the air filters in the smoking lounges. Add a second door to the outside areas. Increase clean air circulation. This isn't rocket science. If every major electronics factory can control particle count, then anyone can.

+1

• Like 1

Well where's my freedom in able to having a smoke while waiting many hours at an airport.

Your habit involves damaging the health of others. SO I say you have no say.

Why is it we all know Alcohol is the root of all evil, but this is permitted at all times at airports and during the flight.

I know who I would rather sit next to...... Someone just come out of a smoking room than someone on Alcohol any day !!

So you anti smokers who like a drink.... Let's take your rights away also... No Alcohol in all airports! Why should you sit and be able to consume something that kills and destroys life's everyday but we can not.

I would be perfectly fine with makeing all flights (and airports) alcohol free. Smoke free too.

"Your habit involves damaging the health of others"

Not true, Sir Richard Doll, when asked in an interview with the BBC, how he would feel about being in a room full of smokers, replied he wouldn't give it another thought as the risk is so tiny.

Talking about risking the health of others, the airlines are putting peoples health at risk because since the smoking ban they have no need to refresh the air on flights and now just recirculate the air to save money.

Mahidol University also revealed that non-smokers with heart disease and asthma who breathe in secondhand smoke could easily experience an immediate heart attack

I’m no Dr but I’m pretty sure I can tell BS when I read it whistling.gif

• Like 2

I follow this topic and what a lot of bs comments I had to read. I am a well travelled person and once on my way home to Europe from Australia I had an 8 hour stopover in Mumbai (a non-smoking airport). You had security everywhere and they followed you even into the toilet. After one hour I found a place where I could smoke, the "FIRST CLASS PASSENGER LOUNGE". So because I was not travelling First Class, I was not allowed in, until I gave the security guard a bit of money (tip) and than I was allowed in. So the same will happen in most countries of SE Asia, if you make the airports non-smoking, money talks and that is reality and not the wishful thinking that some of the OPs have and express.

huh, that's a joke.

Like you leave us alone.

Are you really that clueless? Do you actually think non smokers want to harrass smokers just for the sake of doing so? When will you learn that non-smokers have legitimate concerns that have nothing to do with any personal feelings towards you as an individual? Pure and simple, it's because we do not want your smoke in our eyes, nose and inner body ... and we've finally had enough.

To smokers in general I say: Personally I couldn't care less if you want to smoke yourself to death ... it's your right to do so. But meanwhile, if your ill smoking manners cause me to inhale your second-hand smoke, or my hair and clothes to smell of smoke, or you continue to trash the earth with your butts because you can't be bothered to clean up after yourself, then more and more non-smokers are going to continue harassing you. Get used to it.

Halleluiah brother! You never think that if you don't like something you can easily walk away from it? Sorry, too clever for you?

PS. Yes, I do believe that the good, godly non smoking creatures who, God put on this world to save mankind, want to harrass smokers just for the sake of doing so, usually when these God given non smokers are drunk and about to start a fight mind!

Apart from your other desperate post above, which others have noted, have you ever thought that smokers come and sit next to you and your children while eating and light up with no regard and complete ignorance? Sorry, you too clever right?

Apart from your other desperate post above, which others have noted, have you ever thought that smokers come and sit next to you and your children while eating and light up with no regard and complete ignorance? Sorry, you too clever right?

I think you’ll find we’re talking about the smoking rooms in airports and not your favourite restaurant whistling.gif

• Like 1

Well where's my freedom in able to having a smoke while waiting many hours at an airport.

Your habit involves damaging the health of others. SO I say you have no say.

<

p>

Why is it we all know Alcohol is the root of all evil, but this is permitted at all times at airports and during the flight.

I know who I would rather sit next to...... Someone just come out of a smoking room than someone on Alcohol any day !!

So you anti smokers who like a drink.... Let's take your rights away also... No Alcohol in all airports! Why should you sit and be able to consume something that kills and destroys life's ever
yday but we can not.

I would be perfectly fine with makeing all flights (and airports) alcohol free. Smoke free too.

"Your habit involves damaging the health of others"

Not true, Sir Richard Doll, when asked in an interview with the BBC, how he would feel about being in a room full of smokers, replied he wouldn't give it another thought as the risk is so tiny.

Talking about risking the health of others, the airlines are putting peoples health at risk because since the smoking ban they have no need to refresh the air on flights and now just recirculate the air to save money.

Hey Sloweddie, I don't know or care who Sir Richard Doll is or what he thinks. It's irrelevant.

I also don't really care about the health risks or your warped idea about putting peoples health at risk because of non smoking on flights. It's irrelevant.

Simply put, I don't want to inhale or smell your second hand smoke.

Is that too much to ask?

• Like 2

Grown ups take the good with the bad.

Children complain...

If that is so then a significant percentage of ThaiVisa posts - perhaps even a majority - are from children.

Do you never complain? (Just wondering if you are an adult.)

That statement is totally absurd - how many times that of WHO - total &lt;deleted&gt;.

At suvarnabhumi airport the smoke rooms are totally removed from the main common areas and no such air quality toxcicity level exists.

Absolutely ridiculous attention seeking officials. Who's being offended, I would suggest the many tourists who arrive at Bangkok after many hours travelling and enjoy a quick smoke in a designated area. Install some door closers on the rooms and welcome the arrival of tourists who are contributing hugely to the Thai economy.

Despite many reports of stopping the pollution caused by the " slash and burn " tactics used by farmers, nothing happens. This must be of greater concern to the nation rather than stopping a minority of travellers haveing a quick smoke, behind closed doors. Get real tourist industry !

• Like 1