My Right To Close Anti-Yingluck Websites, Minister Claims

webfact

POLITICS
My right to close anti-PM websites, minister claims

Anuphan Chantana,
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Information and Communi-cations Technology Ministry had been misunderstood and accused of blocking people's right to free speech following attacks from "ill-intentioned people", Minister Anudith Nakornthap said.

The ministry had no mandate to shut down websites on its own, and would normally need a court order to do that, he added. However, defamatory remarks about the prime minister could cause a site to be immediately suspended.

On Monday, Anudith was criticised for overstepping his authority by threatening to shut down pages that carried allegedly defamatory remarks against PM Yingluck Shinawatra by cartoonist Chai Rachawat on Facebook.

Meanwhile, the ICT minister confirmed reports of his vow to take action related to criticism against Yingluck. He insisted he was doing his duty and that he had the authority to do so.

He urged anyone who finds offensive messages on the Net to report them so the ministry could ask the web administrator to immediately remove the messages.

However, he added that if the intention of the website was to defame the PM, the ministry had the mandate to "suspend the site immediately" and the people responsible could be prosecuted under Article 326 of the Criminal Act, which could lead to a year in prison and a fine of Bt20,000.

Anudith became the target of criticism following his comment on Sunday.

However, Thai Rath newspaper's website published an interview on Monday in which he claimed the ministry expedited the suspension process in the case of Yingluck because she was a leader and her situation received public attention.

Yingluck said yesterday that the MICT should not focus only on defending her from being defamed in cyberspace, but should protect everyone. She was reacting to reports about the ministry threatening to shut down websites and take action against people involved in posting defamatory messages against her.

Yingluck said everybody had the right to question the government's policies, but the ICT Ministry would take action if any unfounded allegations were posted against anyone, not just her.

Yingluck had been severely criticised after giving a speech in Mongolia, attacking courts and independent organisations and saying Thailand had not achieved full democracy after the 2006 coup.

Asked whether she regretted that her speech led to negative comments, Yingluck said she had cited what really happened as an example so that they would not happen again.

"I was telling the truth. We would like everything to be an example so that they will not happen again," Yingluck said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-08

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yingluck states in a speech that Thailand hasn't achieved full democracy since the coup, and the ICT ministry reacts by threatening to shut down any websites that critisise her.......maybe the lady has a point!!!

Thai language obviously doesn't have a word for hypocrisy.

• Like 2

The last sentence quoting the PM is probably most indictive of her confused thought and communication skills???? I am using the word 'skills' in the my scarcastic mode, just to clarfy what I said/meant.

• Like 1

Yingluck said yesterday that the MICT should not focus only on defending her from being defamed in cyberspace

Don't worry, Yingluck, television and radio are also ready for scrutinizing, by a different governmental entity, for any mean comments against you.

Yingluck Sues Thai Rath Cartoonist For Defamation

Meanwhile the media stranglehold gets tighter as the BP is reporting this morning that the Pheu Thai Party is requesting the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission to closely scrutinize the content of all television and radio programs for inappropriate remarks about the premier.

Internet, television, radio = Check

Personal telephone conversations are next.

Edited by brd199
  • Like 1

A couple of days ago the minister was talking about protecting Everybody but now it's Yingluck, Yingluck and Yingluck which we all knew anyway. The ministry cannot shutdown a site without a court order but can suspend a site but for how long without having to apply to a court, it would be easy to suspend then take a long time or accidentally forget to go anywhere near a court so the result is almost the same. Finally I'm sure his definition of defamation will be very loose and bear no relation to the legal one allowing him, surprise surprise, to do whatever he wants.

Would be interesting when this law to suspend a website was put on the books. All rather Orwellian.

A couple of days ago the minister was talking about protecting Everybody but now it's Yingluck, Yingluck and Yingluck which we all knew anyway. The ministry cannot shutdown a site without a court order but can suspend a site but for how long without having to apply to a court, it would be easy to suspend then take a long time or accidentally forget to go anywhere near a court so the result is almost the same. Finally I'm sure his definition of defamation will be very loose and bear no relation to the legal one allowing him, surprise surprise, to do whatever he wants.

Would be interesting when this law to suspend a website was put on the books. All rather Orwellian.

I think it dates back to 1984 ? rolleyes.gif

I guess that I must be overdue for re-education in Right-Thought !

Edited by Ricardo

I live in hope to hear that PTP MPs have passed a law making it illegal to use the words "Yingluk" and "prostitute" in the same sentence, followed by a mass arrest because they had broken the law that they just passed.

• Like 1

Your right is to defend democracy , such as it is Minister , not your right and duty to protect the Shinawatra family, if defamatory remarks have been made, get a legal ruling from the appropriate department before sounding off, as your interpretation could be assumed biase and your duty miss guided.coffee1.gif

Yingluck states in a speech that Thailand hasn't achieved full democracy since the coup, and the ICT ministry reacts by threatening to shut down any websites that critisise her.......maybe the lady has a point!!!

Does that mean she does not consider herself democratically elected?

Which she was not but she dosen't know that. She was elected by the Parliamentary system that does not require a majority of population votes.

Or does she consider herself non democratically elected because to be truly democratically elected you could not buy votes.

Are they trying to equate discussion of her to the same laws covering the Royal family. LM

• Like 1

Of course Thailand has achieved full democracy and if Yingcluck doesn't stop saying it hasn't, then the military will step in and stop her! unsure.png

Now I am in a dilemma. I don't believe in coups yet I feel just as strongly in my belief that countries should not be run by air heads.

• Like 1

You see what happens when you have a lese majeste law? Where does the censorship stop? It trickles down until anyone in power is protected from any criticism. It's a slippery slope.

Edited by spermwhale
  • Like 1

The Minister's comments are absurd and counter productive.It is entirely normal in a democracy for its leaders to be criticised, teased and mocked.If there is libel, slander or defamation involved then the minister concerned has the right to take measures in accordance with the law.Normally however it is foolish to do so and politicians should have thick skins.Ludicrous assertions (eg the prostitute jibe) tend to rebound on the original source.The public isn't as gullible as some believe. It is disheartening also that this kind of stupidity gives ammunition to the reactionary element in Thailand (whose own record on allowing free speech is disgustingly bad) to say (as it were) - look at them, they're just as repressive as us.

ICT minister denies double standard legal action against website
By English News

13679784176402.jpg

BANGKOK, May 8 – Thailand’s information and communication technology (ICT) minister has flatly ruled out an allegation that websites with slanderous attacks against the prime minister and her government were closed down.

Anudith Nakornthap said the opposition’s charge was distorted and created misunderstanding among the public.

The power to close a website belongs to the Criminal Court, not the ICT, he said. “People have the right to express their opinions on social network but any wrongdoing which damages others is a violation of the Computer Act or the Criminal Code.”

He rejected claims that the ICT took action against those criticising the prime minister on the Internet but ignored statements against the monarch.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said people have the right and freedom to criticise the government’s policies but untrue accusations are unacceptable and the ICT must take action.

“The legal action was not exclusively for me. We must adhere to the principle and the authorities must see to it that everything is conducted under the law and regulations,” she said.

Ms Yingluck filed a complaint with police last week charging newspaper cartoonist Chai Rachawat, the professional persona of Somchai Katunyutanan, with libel and defamation for his post on a social media network which she described as blunt and which she said caused damage to her reputation as the country’s leader. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-08

Thai language obviously doesn't have a word for hypocrisy.

Has 3 words actually, kwam pen thai. :)