"rent A Wreck" Car Hire

corkythecat

No not as such but try classified here in ThaiVisa and you might find some older cars for rent.

Just make sure it got full 1st class insurance.

its a good tip but i believe you can't get first class insurance on cars over 7 years old

Loads of rent a wreck car hire places around. They usually just call themselves car hire places though and they probably dont include full insurance cover even if they say they do. Watch out for very high excess charges on the insurance also.

Personally I think that anyone who drives a vehicle here without 1st class top-notch premium grade insurance must be out of his mind. And for a rental vehicle I would definitely want zero-excess cover.

Also well worth checking out the special offers from the likes of Hertz and Avis as they often undercut the private rental places whilst still offering 100% zero-excess insurance cover.

No not as such but try classified here in ThaiVisa and you might find some older cars for rent.

its a good tip but i believe you can't get first class insurance on cars over 7 years old

It's 10 years and still possible with some agencies at a premium.

It's 10 years and still possible with some agencies at a premium.

thank you

i stand corrected

I've rented at moms and pops rental place from Bangkok in the past where the cars looks like they were plucked from the secondhand dealer's forecourt that is old cars, but still had 1st class insurance (not in the company name though, looks like they 'borrow' the car of some acquaintance and get them a cut of the rents maybe), compared to professionally run rental company that would only use new cars and sell it once it starts to age. The one I rented from didn't even have an office, you phoned them up and they deliver the cars to you.

Also a couple of years back there were stories in the papers about people lending their cars to such company and getting a few months rents back, but the company disappeared with their cars afterwards.

Anyways, looks like most rental place in Pattaya have a fixed fleet of cars that's usually parked in their garages, so it seems to be safer that way.

The petrol station in Thepprasit opposite the market used to have a Farang 2nd hand car place, I think he had some for rental as well, is that still around?

OP....If I be so bold as to ask why you want to rent a wreck ?

The roads in Thailand are hazard enough even in a good car.

Surely your life is worth more ?

Perhaps you are not familiar with the term but it is the name of a specific car rental company that can be found in many countries. It doesn't literally mean that (well, perhaps TIT). wink.png - Rent a Wreck

• Like 2

Perhaps you are not familiar with the term but it is the name of a specific car rental company that can be found in many countries. It doesn't literally mean that (well, perhaps TIT). wink.png - Rent a Wreck

Phew.....thanks for clearing that up for me.

I had some rusty old banger in mind w00t.gif

My Licence expired about 4 years ago, I don't feel like going through the rigmarole for a new one. I have an idea to get a Thai friend to do the driving, inexpensively.I would hire "taxis"/ "pickups" with driver but don't see any promising leads elsewhere on TV.

I want to go out with an infant to Navy Beaches and some of the boonies NE of Jomtien.

• Like 1

My Licence expired about 4 years ago, I don't feel like going through the rigmarole for a new one. I have an idea to get a Thai friend to do the driving, inexpensively.I would hire "taxis"/ "pickups" with driver but don't see any promising leads elsewhere on TV.

I want to go out with an infant to Navy Beaches and some of the boonies NE of Jomtien.

So you want to hire a cheap car with a cheap Thai driver to get you and an infant baby to the beach?

Man you must be lazy, it's takes one day to get your driver license and it's cheap too.

Then you can buy your own wheels and go whenever you want and don't put your baby and yourself in the mercy of others,

Okay your Thai friend might be a good driver but many Thais isn't despite they think they are very good.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I've rented at moms and pops rental place from Bangkok in the past where the cars looks like they were plucked from the secondhand dealer's forecourt that is old cars, but still had 1st class insurance (not in the company name though, looks like they 'borrow' the car of some acquaintance and get them a cut of the rents maybe), compared to professionally run rental company that would only use new cars and sell it once it starts to age. The one I rented from didn't even have an office, you phoned them up and they deliver the cars to you.

As far as I know if the insurance does not specifically cover rentals then it may not be valid. I wouldnt touch anything unofficial like this with a bargepole, especially as you can normally find a proper rental from a big-name international company with full insurance and zero excess for more or less the same price. YMMV.

quote "Then you can buy your own wheels and go whenever you want and don't put your baby and yourself in the mercy of others,"

Considering the hazards the infant faces in his environment..chain smokers, blaring noise,bare electrical wiring, no concept of hygiene, driven by accident prone juveniles on m/c without a helmet, driven at speed in a car with driver texting , not just reading sms.

Interestingly the mother goes apoplectic if he plays on the beach without a shirt. I have to do a risk analysis and the addition of car rides under my direction although adding to his hazards are small relative to those extant..

Buy my own wheels ?, I have a Baht150,000 push bike, gets me about quickly and safely, also have folding push bike with a child seat for shorter journeys with the child, he and I enjoy the freedom to stop and watch "dig digs", train crossings,etc and buy ice creams at will.

I would buy a car in the mother's name but it would "disappear" in a week or two. ( a new car was stolen within 10 days, no doubt with the connivance of my then, company driver).

I owned a car for many years and while convenient at times was more of a burden than an asset.

I have a condo on a quiet beach, so don't need to go to the Navy Beaches every day, but want him to expand his horizons.He is 4 years old on Sunday and has, like all children an insatiable need to understand the world, an opportunity few of his contemparies have, particularly as their parents/relatives have no interest or understanding themselves.

Every time one takes a bus, taxi,songtaew,aeroplane or boat we are placing ourselves at the mercy of others.

quote "but many Thais isn't" . Why I respond to anyone with level of English I don't know.

Edited by corkythecat

Loads of rent a wreck car hire places around. They usually just call themselves car hire places though and they probably dont include full insurance cover even if they say they do. Watch out for very high excess charges on the insurance also.

Personally I think that anyone who drives a vehicle here without 1st class top-notch premium grade insurance must be out of his mind. And for a rental vehicle I would definitely want zero-excess cover.

Also well worth checking out the special offers from the likes of Hertz and Avis as they often undercut the private rental places whilst still offering 100% zero-excess insurance cover.

Personally I think that anyone who drives a vehicle here without 1st class top-notch premium grade insurance must be out of his mind.

Why is that ?

1st 2 years here had 1st class on my car but not after that, same as with the trucks have the free 1st year 1st class but not after that, change truck every 3 years with around 400,000 km on clock..

1st class top-notch premium grade insurance here is very different covererage than in Europe, here is it worth paying 10,000 baht more ? Cannot see the point here, of course some people are accident prone so maybe some advantage.

Why is that ?

1st 2 years here had 1st class on my car but not after that, same as with the trucks have the free 1st year 1st class but not after that, change truck every 3 years with around 400,000 km on clock..

1st class top-notch premium grade insurance here is very different covererage than in Europe, here is it worth paying 10,000 baht more ? Cannot see the point here, of course some people are accident prone so maybe some advantage.

I've never had an accident in my entire life but seeing how Thais drive (and farangs for that matter) I would like to think that if some moron on a motorbike drives into me and kills himself and maims his extended family I will have the full backing of a big insurance company which may just prevent me from getting lynched or spending a long time in jail. It certainly cant do any harm.

I couldnt care less about damage to my vehicle as if it comes to the worst I can just buy another one, though of course it would be nice to know that any damage to my vehicle would also be covered.

For rental vehicles I would want full zero-excess insurance because it is very cheap and takes care of all possible arguments and discussions about any damage of any type, existing or otherwise. I know people who rented from nice friendly backstreet places in Pattaya and got stuck with bills for many tens of thousands of Baht for body repairs. There have been reports about this happening on here also. Damage scams are not limited to jet ski operators.

I have been tempted to rent one to bump into illegally double parked cars, "accidentally" nudge a rental motorcycle occupying a whole lane obstructing traffic, and watch the whole row fall over like dominoes. A Dick parked on the side of a narrow lane and left his door open so cars can't pass; I would love to rip his door off with a wreck of a car.

:D:P

Edited by doggie888888