Law-Enforcement Agency? People Begin To Wonder: Thai Editorial

webfact

It is extremely unlikely that while large sums of money and power are involved, anything is going to change.

Public trials, full media coverage, hefty prison sentences and asset sequestration of the guilty would change the current corrupt state of Thailand. And that includes every corrupt individual, not just the police.

it's high time reform of the police topped the national agenda.

Well, there might be differences in opinion, but I think policing ought to be a local issue and not something on national agenda lists.

There is a good amount of evidence that where matters are kept at a local level, for things which are mainly of local concern, corruption is considerably less.

Edited by Morakot

Most of the comments are on track, systematic offences could be attributed to many things, but like most of Thailanders they see what a fine example the the criminal record of government ministers are, leaders in local government , the continued graft and corruption in Business, the mafia rip off , so why not, coupled with Piss poor Pay, gambling problems , they work in the box seat for corruption. Thai society is programed for corruption , which is a form of sickness.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Well, there might be differences in opinion, but I think policing ought to be a local issue and not something on national agenda lists.

There is a good amount of evidence that where matters are kept at a local level, for things which are mainly of local concern, corruption is considerably less.

Have to disagree. Reforming the police NEEDS to be on a National Agenda.

Running the police offices can be handled locally, but you need the reform FIRST.

Considering the chief of police is Chalerm, who as anyone who has lived here for a while knows is nothing short of a thug, what hope is there for a cleaner police force. If aiding and abetting the murder of another policeman, intimidating witnesses, evading arrest, tampering with a crime scene and compulsive lying lead to rapid promotion to chief of police in this red democracy, I think the Thai people fully deserve the bed they are now stuck in.

National Police chief is Adul Saengsingkaew

Start a campaign to encourage citizens to report any corruption. Have a quick access hotline. Cop pulls you over and tries to extort money ... pull your phone out. If the cop is aware of the campaign he'll sh*t himself. It's a start.

... actually, a few months ago I was pulled over and had to pass over the obligatory 200 baht. As I was doing so I mumbled in Thai, "The White Police are coming soon" ... and his face froze for a couple of seconds.

I think you've all heard about the planned "White Police"? right?

Edited by Fullstop

Start a campaign to encourage citizens to report any corruption. Have a quick access hotline. Cop pulls you over and tries to extort money ... pull your phone out. If the cop is aware of the campaign he'll sh*t himself. It's a start.

... actually, a few months ago I was pulled over and had to pass over the obligatory 200 baht. As I was doing so I mumbled in Thai, "The White Police are coming soon" ... and his face froze for a couple of seconds.

"Have a quick access hotline. Cop pulls you over and tries to extort

money ... pull your phone out. If the cop is aware of the campaign he'll

sh*t himself shoot you. It's a start."

• Like 1

There are so many problems in regards to the police in Thailand that it is hard to say where to begin the clean up. A good start may be paying the police a decent living wage. It is unreasonable to expect people to do a dangerous and difficult job for 8 to 10,000 baht a month. If police were paid more, maybe the temptation to supplement income through bribery would decrease. Of course there needs to be better screening and testing to get a higher standard of individual in the force. We are all aware that many of the high ranking officers are rotten to the core and nothing can be done to change them. It will take a very brave and powerful individual to get the rotten apples out of the force. The police in Thailand are really a reflection of the society. People accept corruption in Thailand. Poll after poll states that Thais don't have a problem with corruption as long as it benefits them. To see real change in the police, we will need to see real change in the whole society.

Although they probably should get a higher wage, I don't think that will do anything to stop their corruption. That would be implying that rich people aren't corrupt.

• Like 2

There are so many problems in regards to the police in Thailand that it is hard to say where to begin the clean up. A good start may be paying the police a decent living wage. It is unreasonable to expect people to do a dangerous and difficult job for 8 to 10,000 baht a month. If police were paid more, maybe the temptation to supplement income through bribery would decrease. Of course there needs to be better screening and testing to get a higher standard of individual in the force. We are all aware that many of the high ranking officers are rotten to the core and nothing can be done to change them. It will take a very brave and powerful individual to get the rotten apples out of the force. The police in Thailand are really a reflection of the society. People accept corruption in Thailand. Poll after poll states that Thais don't have a problem with corruption as long as it benefits them. To see real change in the police, we will need to see real change in the whole society.

Although they probably should get a higher wage, I don't think that will do anything to stop their corruption. That would be implying that rich people aren't corrupt.

I think you might be right, Why Bother.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well for now you'll just have to accept the return of one ex policeman being at the top of the national agenda.

This would require a massive effort to reform. A complete regime, structure, policy, process and procedural change. Proper training prior to joining and throughout career. Promotions based on merit, background checks, educational standards, etc.

This would also mean a strictly impartial enforcement of the law, thorough and professional investigations and hard work. So no hiso's or well connected above the law, treating everyone the same - even non-Thais, and policing demonstrations correctly regardless of the shirt colour or political persuasion.

Can anyone really see this amount of massive change likely given the nature of the current government? Police corruption and abuses usally increase under a dictatorship.

• Like 2

Yeah i think it starts with that police officers have a very low salary which almost forces them into this. One thing that is needed if a reform can succeed or not is a hike in salary with at least 10.000 baht. A normal thai police officer have a salary around 13-15.000 baht per month and this is in Bkk how many of you can live off of that. Thats what i spend on a slow week.

So for bribery cases to hike police officers salaries and then when that is done they need to be reprimanded or fired and put on trial like everyone else for their crimes.

A few years ago i was in moscow playing american football in the eurobowl. One of the days during our stay there two of my teammates where robbed in broad daylight by police officers just outside our hotel.

Its not only thai police that are corrupt.

"White Police"?? That's a new one for me. Please explain

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/620625-white-police-to-change-thai-police-culture/

I have said this for many years, the police are a object of hatred of all Thais. There sole function is nothing more than to extort money from the public.

Sometime the uniform they wear confuses newly arrived farangs, as the new people think the police are actually there to stop crime...

Fire them all, and start over.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/620625-white-police-to-change-thai-police-culture/

Oh, yeah, I remember reading that piece of propaganda b.s.. Just like the "Crack down of the Month", another piece of "fluff" to make people think they are actually going to do something, and then do nothing.

If they wanted REAL "White Police", hire experienced officers from countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, U.S., England and Germany. Spend a few weeks teaching them basic Thai law, which most would recognize as the same laws their countries have in regards to driving, and then turn them free to actually enforce the law, and possibly show the RTP how it's really done.

Wouldn't even have to pay them. Offer them a month long "holiday" in LOS where they would be provided housing. Every month you could easily have a few thousand willing to take them up on it.

• Like 1

Yeah i think it starts with that police officers have a very low salary which almost forces them into this. One thing that is needed if a reform can succeed or not is a hike in salary with at least 10.000 baht. A normal thai police officer have a salary around 13-15.000 baht per month and this is in Bkk how many of you can live off of that. Thats what i spend on a slow week.

So for bribery cases to hike police officers salaries and then when that is done they need to be reprimanded or fired and put on trial like everyone else for their crimes.

A few years ago i was in moscow playing american football in the eurobowl. One of the days during our stay there two of my teammates where robbed in broad daylight by police officers just outside our hotel.

Its not only thai police that are corrupt.