Is Thai Food Actually Healthy?

megaworldasia

Instant noodles contain a wax coating which is also used in the styrofoam containers. That is why instant noodles don't stick together when cooking. Our body needs up to two days to clean the wax. Makes sure you stop eating a pack of noodles for at least three days after. This wax can cause cancer. Thais usually eat this stuff at least once a day...

3560010538.jpg

I eat it only when I nave no money. That means 2-3 times around month's ends, not everyday.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instant noodles contain a wax coating which is also used in the styrofoam containers. That is why instant noodles don't stick together when cooking. Our body needs up to two days to clean the wax. Makes sure you stop eating a pack of noodles for at least three days after. This wax can cause cancer. Thais usually eat this stuff at least once a day...

Really? Is it parafin wax? Same used in baking. Ughh. I've heard Asians have a high level of stomach cancer caused by too much chilli. Too much coconut milk is bad. Msg is bad. Least if your wife cooks you know what Thai food your eating. I'm sure lots of you full time expats eat out way to much huh?

No I don't because I know what is healthy and what is not, i gained a lot of weight when i came here just by eating Thai foods at street places. It was so cheap.. it was so easy.. and it was so BAD for my health.

Lost now 25 kg.. on exercise and western food.. though i would not count meat a western food.. but mainly meat .. veggies .. fruits.. and low in carbs (so no rice or bread) mostly oatmeal for breakfast.. haven't seen a thai breakfast that can compete with that (if you add some extra protein)

I lost 5 kg in 2 weeks without exercise. I eat normal thai food 3 meals/day with the portion limited. That's all.

Since I read from the first to last, most people here seem to detest MSG.

In my opinion, if you see it a big problem why don't you tell the cook you don't want MSG in your food?

I am neither fan of sugar nor MSG. Before ordering I will inform them first what must be eliminated from my dish.

Really? Is it parafin wax? Same used in baking. Ughh. I've heard Asians have a high level of stomach cancer caused by too much chilli. Too much coconut milk is bad. Msg is bad. Least if your wife cooks you know what Thai food your eating. I'm sure lots of you full time expats eat out way to much huh?

No I don't because I know what is healthy and what is not, i gained a lot of weight when i came here just by eating Thai foods at street places. It was so cheap.. it was so easy.. and it was so BAD for my health.

Lost now 25 kg.. on exercise and western food.. though i would not count meat a western food.. but mainly meat .. veggies .. fruits.. and low in carbs (so no rice or bread) mostly oatmeal for breakfast.. haven't seen a thai breakfast that can compete with that (if you add some extra protein)

I lost 5 kg in 2 weeks without exercise. I eat normal thai food 3 meals/day with the portion limited. That's all.

That is easy for some.. it really depends on how much you need to loose ect. But limiting portions is usually what does it. I just changed it to healthy as an extra bonus. But I always had a hard time loosing weight, plus im now my body fat is on such a low level not many can reach it.

But in the end its all about calories in vs calories out.. you can loose weight eating mc donalds .. but that does not make it healthy. Weight is just one of the things in health.

• Like 2

Considering that Asians have been surviving for centuries with their diet I find it hard to believe that it can be too bad for you. Why do farang males seem to like the slim, trim beauties that Thailand seems to produce. But, when those same Thai women marry farangs and start eating western food they quickly fatten up like us western women on our supposedly "better" diet. .

That's easy to answer.

Much of the Thai diet has little or no nutritional value, so they always look thin and their growth is stunted, no matter how much they eat.

Start feeding them western food, high in nutritional value, and they pile the pounds on, the kids grow tall too.

Western food is designed for you to live in a cold weather environment where the work load is heavy.

It just doesn't work in the tropics where the heat makes you sit around all day and you don't need to use energy to keep warm.

(Doesn't work when you work in an office, have central heating, and the only exercise you get is opening your car door either)

It doesn't work anywhere - US has one of the highest obesity rates in the world.

I spent twelve years in the Philippines an witnessed more than once, their prescription for killing unwanted dogs. Two tablespoons of MSG inside a hollowed out hotdog. I personally avoid the stuff like the plague. Many people experience headaches after a good dose in their food and fail to connect this most common side effect of MSG to the meal they just had.

Considering that Asians have been surviving for centuries with their diet I find it hard to believe that it can be too bad for you. Why do farang males seem to like the slim, trim beauties that Thailand seems to produce. But, when those same Thai women marry farangs and start eating western food they quickly fatten up like us western women on our supposedly "better" diet. .

That's easy to answer.

Much of the Thai diet has little or no nutritional value, so they always look thin and their growth is stunted, no matter how much they eat.

Start feeding them western food, high in nutritional value, and they pile the pounds on, the kids grow tall too.

Western food is designed for you to live in a cold weather environment where the work load is heavy.

It just doesn't work in the tropics where the heat makes you sit around all day and you don't need to use energy to keep warm.

(Doesn't work when you work in an office, have central heating, and the only exercise you get is opening your car door either)

There are few people in the west who still engage in demanding physical work. Here lies the origin of the problem. Many of our dietary habits are copied from our parents and grandparents. A high number of them would have been farmers, construction workers and people who worked in heavy industry. Their diet was high in calories and suited to their activity. Many of us still follow their diet but have a much more sedentary lifestyle.

• Like 1

Many of those who cite diets that are high in glutamic acid (such as the Japanese diet) as evidence that MSG is not harmful fail to mention that there is a difference between naturally occurring glutamic acid and synthesized glutamic acid a.k.a. MSG.

Almost all foods have naturally occurring glutamic acids in them, but the commonly consumed foods where they are most noticeable tend to be meat, fish, dairy, pastry, mushrooms and savoury cooking sauces such as soy, oyster or fish sauces made using natural or "traditional" processing methods (the relative costs of which have gone up in the face of industrialised manufacture of such sauces).

To put it simply, natural glutamic acid is more 'complete' and is therefore easier for your liver and your body in general to process. MSG, on the other hand, is a synthetic best-effort at approximation within the constraints of mass production. Whatever you think your taste buds are saying, as far as your liver is concerned MSG is a toxin.

Google search : naturally occurring MSG

MSG is a boon to the large scale food processing industry : They can only sell cheap food products on such a huge scale because of it. Without MSG they would be forced to make their sauces in a way that was more 'old fashioned', increasing costs, shrinking output volume and therefore sales.

Industrial use of MSG has a double negative effect on the consumer, however. You really can taste the difference in a blind test between naturally aged oyster sauce, for example, and the industrial stuff. The accelerated industrial manufacturing process kills a lot of natural glutamic acid, which most manufacturers compensate for by adding salt and MSG - the lower the price the more salt there is likely to be instead of natural glutamic acid or even MSG.

Food vendors can taste this difference too, so they end up buying powdered MSG to add to their dishes to make up for the difference in flavour from their choice of cheaper oyster sauce (already loaded up with MSG). Meanwhile, the market-share / market-presence of the now more expensive sauces containing naturally formed glutamic acid shrinks.

Great for CP / Ajinomoto / Heinz profits though.

Edited by Trembly

• 2 weeks later...

The less "processed' a food is can often indicate that it is more healthy....e.g. fewer additives and less handling and storage. All fried chicken is not the same.

However I would suggest the main need for concern with Thai food should be over then use of ILLEGAL additives and processes - a recent example was the use of melamine in milk.

Whether these tainted products originate in Thailand or are imported, it concerns me that the Thai authorities have neither the ability nor the corruption-free institutions to ensure reasonable detection or enforcement.

The use of carcinogenic antibiotics and steroids in meat, shrimp and other sea-foods would be a major concern. The EU have already had to stop shrimp imports at one time....and this was product the producers knew was destined for export. Heaven knows what abuses are foisted on the domestic market.

One might also add that the lack of effective industrial zoning in Thailand often means that crops are being grown adjacent to industries and all their concomitant pollutants.....hardly a recipe for good health.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Many of those who cite diets that are high in glutamic acid (such as the Japanese diet) as evidence that MSG is not harmful fail to mention that there is a difference between naturally occurring glutamic acid and synthesized glutamic acid a.k.a. MSG.

Almost all foods have naturally occurring glutamic acids in them, but the commonly consumed foods where they are most noticeable tend to be meat, fish, dairy, pastry, mushrooms and savoury cooking sauces such as soy, oyster or fish sauces made using natural or "traditional" processing methods (the relative costs of which have gone up in the face of industrialised manufacture of such sauces).

To put it simply, natural glutamic acid is more 'complete' and is therefore easier for your liver and your body in general to process. MSG, on the other hand, is a synthetic best-effort at approximation within the constraints of mass production. Whatever you think your taste buds are saying, as far as your liver is concerned MSG is a toxin.

Google search : naturally occurring MSG

MSG is a boon to the large scale food processing industry : They can only sell cheap food products on such a huge scale because of it. Without MSG they would be forced to make their sauces in a way that was more 'old fashioned', increasing costs, shrinking output volume and therefore sales.

Industrial use of MSG has a double negative effect on the consumer, however. You really can taste the difference in a blind test between naturally aged oyster sauce, for example, and the industrial stuff. The accelerated industrial manufacturing process kills a lot of natural glutamic acid, which most manufacturers compensate for by adding salt and MSG - the lower the price the more salt there is likely to be instead of natural glutamic acid or even MSG.

Food vendors can taste this difference too, so they end up buying powdered MSG to add to their dishes to make up for the difference in flavour from their choice of cheaper oyster sauce (already loaded up with MSG). Meanwhile, the market-share / market-presence of the now more expensive sauces containing naturally formed glutamic acid shrinks.

Great for CP / Ajinomoto / Heinz profits though.

MSG is a Japanese invention and is used extensively (by billions) as a domestic additive through Asia.....not in the naturally occurring form but as a powder in the kitchen.
  • Like 1

But in the end its all about calories in vs calories out.. you can loose weight eating mc donalds .. but that does not make it healthy. Weight is just one of the things in health.

Someone in an experiment did the Supersize Me, Mcdonald's diet, but ate normal portions that filled them up - no compulsory Supersizing - and continued to exercise as usual. They lost weight.

The more I think about the question the more I see it as incomplete.

"Is Thai food actually healthy."

What does that actually mean?

The kind or amount of food Thai people eat?

Thai diet?

The food westerners eat in Thailand?

Rich people's food?

Pauper's diet?

Is a "western diet" unhealthy?.....is western food unhealthy?

The question isn't really specific....

One thing is certain, the food and diet in Thailand has changed immeasurably over the last 2 decades. Largely Chinese in origin it now embraces a plethora of international and western foods.

History and culture dictate eating habits and the way Thai society reacts to the 'new wave' of foods and eating habits from both East and West.

Healthy? First define your diet.

Edited by francescoassisi

Sorry but this is complete jibberish...it has no scientific meaning at all

"To put it simply, natural glutamic acid is more 'complete' and is therefore easier for your liver and your body in general to process. MSG, on the other hand, is a synthetic best-effort at approximation within the constraints of mass production. Whatever you think your taste buds are saying, as far as your liver is concerned MSG is a toxin."

Edited by francescoassisi
  • Like 1

That's easy to answer.

These suppositions have no scientific basis whatsoever - they are pure conjecture.

As there is not even the slightest effort made to define the diet how can any of this be taken seriously....I think the giveaway is the comment "that's easy' which is often a substitute for "I haven't thought it through"

If it tastes good I eat it.

All this talk about fatty foods, don't eat this don't eat that, we are living longer anyway.

Like I told my Butcher in Australia recently, quit cutting the fat off my meat, If I want it off I'll do it.

Give me a pork chop or a beef steak i'm going straight for the fat.

• Like 1

All this talk about fatty foods, don't eat this don't eat that, we are living longer anyway.

Like I told my Butcher in Australia recently, quit cutting the fat off my meat, If I want it off I'll do it.

"All this talk about fatty foods, don't eat this don't eat that, we are living longer anyway." - this is no longer true - it is now estimated that in countries like the US and Oz life expectancy will fall if current eating trends continue.

"If it tastes good I eat it" - the international food companies must love this poster!

Edited by wilcopops

"All this talk about fatty foods, don't eat this don't eat that, we are living longer anyway." - this is no longer true - it is now estimated that in countries like the US and Oz life expectancy will fall if current eating trends continue.

"If it tastes good I eat it" - the international food companies must love this poster!

And in turn I love them

And in turn I love them

Pretty shallow thinking,

And in turn I love them

Pretty shallow thinking,

yep, that's right, turn this into an argument you idiot.

how on earth.

We are all having a friendly chat and you jump on board with that, why.

no argument - the evidence speaks for itself....in fact I rather think it's tongue in cheek.........but perhaps it goes over the head of some?

No, only you have the intellect to understand, give yourself a pat on the back.

Your just made an attempt to sound so Intelligent, sitting there on your pc thinking to yourself "what should I write to Improve my lack of confidence".

Things only go over peoples heads when you fail to communicate properly.

This will continue with your attitude because you will find yourself with less and less people to communicate with.

Your rude, so expect it in return, Your Mother failed to teach you respect so perhaps pointing it out will help where your Mother obviously failed.

Call people shallow and expect what in return.

no argument - the evidence speaks for itself....in fact I rather think it's tongue in cheek.........but perhaps it goes over the head of some?

No, only you have the intellect to understand, give yourself a pat on the back.

Your just made an attempt to sound so Intelligent, sitting there on your pc thinking to yourself "what should I write to Improve my lack of confidence".

Things only go over peoples heads when you fail to communicate properly.

This will continue with your attitude because you will find yourself with less and less people to communicate with.

Your rude, so expect it in return, Your Mother failed to teach you respect so perhaps pointing it out will help where your Mother obviously failed.

Call people shallow and expect what in return.

Well, you certainly like making baseless assumptions leading to wildly inaccurate assertions....they only serve to reinforce my earlier comments though.

True argument or discussion involves the exchange of REASONED opinion.....I have yet to see any example of this in your posts. Bereft of anything reasoned to say, you certainly don't fall shy of ad hominem attacks that have no factual basis or any relation to the topic of Thai food.

However I do see a possible connection with diet in your posts ..... Regardless of whether you prefer Thai or Western food, if your diet is laced with steroids it will inevitably lead to irrational and irascible behaviour...or perhaps your fatty steaks are impregnated with lead - v.the symptoms for that.

Edited by wilcopops

I think too much of any one thing is not healthy for us, but as long as you are not flat broke it's easy to eat a somewhat balanced diet in Thailand. Fruit and vegetables are good for most of us and most can be peeled and eaten raw if you are worried about sprayed on chemicals. I don't think the chickens or pigs in Thailand are any worse than those in North America or Europe. I don't eat fish in Asia because I am spoiled from living in Canada. I don't think every Thai café uses MSG, or at least the place I eat all the time in Chiang Mai doesn't use it.

Rene - A balanced diet is indeed quite easy and attainable by most - so long as they don't get hung up on nutritional myths.

As for your thoughts on MSG - I think you should take another look at a Thai kitchen - I believe the Thai expression is "pong-choo-rot" - ask if they have any, I'd be very surprised if they don't just reach into a cupboard and pull some out.....it is available is every supermarket too.

i think to get an idea of the quality of meat products it is a good idea to look at the recent scares in China and Thailand where the substances added have not been accidental external pollutants so much as deliberate and criminal addition of illegal chemicals such as colourings and preservatives or in the case of melamine to fool testers as to the amount of protein content.

as for seafood - one visit to a prawn farm is likely to put you off them for life!

I think too much of any one thing is not healthy for us, but as long as you are not flat broke it's easy to eat a somewhat balanced diet in Thailand. Fruit and vegetables are good for most of us and most can be peeled and eaten raw if you are worried about sprayed on chemicals. I don't think the chickens or pigs in Thailand are any worse than those in North America or Europe. I don't eat fish in Asia because I am spoiled from living in Canada. I don't think every Thai café uses MSG, or at least the place I eat all the time in Chiang Mai doesn't use it.

Not only the MSG straight from the container but a lot of the seasoning are loaded with MSG too. Look at the amount of MSG in Rot D etc which are used for flavouring.

I am now sure that Thai food sold at most of the place is unhealthy because too fat and anyway ALL thai sauces are full of shxt + salt.

The only healthy food anywhere in the world is boiled food and not so much of Thai food is just boiled.

I was used to eat any food even in the street but I quit after thinking twice about this unhealthy food.

Boiled food?

Must be a Brit!

England is known world wide for tasteless,bland food!

bah.gif Yuck!

<deleted>, take away the huge chip certain envious dolts have on their shoulder and you some of the best, wholesome food. Btw, Britain is not England. I think I can guess where you hail from and, if I'm right, you should probably avoid knocking anyone's food... lardy. whistling.gif

In theory, it's quite healthy. However, it's quite obvious the materials being used in street food and most restuarants is not of high standard.

Thai Food, in Australia, however is of very high quality and I'd argue as good as what you would find in Thailand.