90 Day Reporting - Restart Upon Re-Entry.

Today I went to Immigration in Jomtien for my 90 day reporting as today was the date as ‘advised’ during my previous visit

When it was my turn the lady officer told me that I was too early. As I had left the Thailand just before Songkran and re-entered on the 2nd of May she told me that a new 90 day period had started on the re-entry date so that my new (revised) reporting date would be somewhere in August. As a reminder she wrote the new date on my slip and countersigned. I apologised, thanked her for her service and left

I had never experience this before. As I am a regular traveller abroad this would mean the end of my 90 day reporting.

Anyone heard of this before ? Pleased to hear your reactions.

Has always been this way. If you stay in Thailand for more than 90 days than you have to file the report at immigration. When you leave the country and re-enter then the 90 day clock starts over. This usually applies to those on annual extensions of permission to stay such as work, marriage, retirement, etc. Though even with a one year extension of permission to stay if you leave the country the clock starts again. The 1st application for a one year extension of stay performs as the 1st 90 day report.

Has always been this way. If you stay in Thailand for more than 90 days than you have to file the report at immigration. When you leave the country and re-enter then the 90 day clock starts over. This usually applies to those on annual extensions of permission to stay such as work, marriage, retirement, etc. Though even with a one year extension of permission to stay if you leave the country the clock starts again. The 1st application for a one year extension of stay performs as the 1st 90 day report.

Thank you Tywais. This is new to me. Apparently I was continuously doing something wrong over the last 8 years. But .... may pen rai.

You are absolutely right. Maybe I am a bit of a too obedient person. When an immigation officer writes a date on my slip I (so far) assumed that that was the new reporting date date and nothing else.

This officer was the first who told me about this rule. All the others in the past never did. But again, from now on I know how to handle. As said before 'may pen rai'.

Thank you all for your contributions.