I Never Really Appreciated Dogs Until ...

Guinea Fowl...

Thought about them after I read the positive reports elsewhere but ...

The Farm got some ducks or geese to control the snail population that was infesting the ponds and the dogs killed them ... so what chance the Guinea Fowl?

Guinea Fowl...

Thought about them after I read the positive reports elsewhere but ...

The Farm got some ducks or geese to control the snail population that was infesting the ponds and the dogs killed them ... so what chance the Guinea Fowl?

Well when you put it like that, no chance :)

My dog is kept tied up, therefore the Guineas are free to work their magic.

He doesn't suffer from ticks as a result.

Mmmmmm, I'll think of some more solutions for you ??

• Like 1

some good news for a change.

better news would be to prevent the ticks getting on the dog.

Agreed Naam ... but these are Farm dogs and get up to all kinds of mischief as a result.

I'm keenly reading the other thread about what prevents ticks being attracted to the dog.

our dogs are getting once a month an ointment ("Revolution") applied to a tiny spot on their back. it protects them against ticks, heartworm, fleas and mites.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9567

there is also oral medication available.

• Like 1

Farm dogs are more susceptible to ticks due to their environment, Long grass and bushes are the main culprits. Some years are worse than others. If the dog is a true outside dog, then a weekly rub down with diesel will do the trick. Don't forget between the toes.smile.png If it's a plague situation then spraying outside the home is necessary. (not diesel w00t.gif ) Be careful though, some of the "yar" sold for ticks is not pet friendly.

Regards.

• Like 1

Farm dogs are more susceptible to ticks due to their environment, Long grass and bushes are the main culprits. Some years are worse than others. If the dog is a true outside dog, then a weekly rub down with diesel will do the trick. Don't forget between the toes.smile.png If it's a plague situation then spraying outside the home is necessary. (not diesel w00t.gif ) Be careful though, some of the "yar" sold for ticks is not pet friendly.

Regards.

Seriously !! You rub your dog down with diesel ?????

Regards.

That advice did raise my eyebrow ... but I'm a novice in this area.

Regards.

You don't need to be an expert to raise your eyebrows !!

All dogs in Thailand run better on 95 Benzine, common sense...

My 1st three dogs in Thailand.Top left and top right is Gluay (banana) a beautiful dog,you couldn't wish for a better pet and companion.

Bottom left is Choc Dee and bottom right is Sanook.

The thing about these three dogs is that they were all strays with Gluay and Choc Dee from the street in front of our house and Sanook being taken from a litter that a soi dog had near our other house in Khlong Luang.Another thing about them was everyone of them has been poisoned in front of our house in Uttaradit each time while we had gone away for a couple of days to Khlong Luang.I blame myself for this because all three were allowed to run free day and night and that is why the two dogs that I have now are not allowed that freedom.

post-140056-0-65043500-1369130766_thumb.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 2

Regards.

Haha, yes diesel. Take a whiff of your tick killing animal spray from the vets/farm shop. Diesel is the main ingredient. As recommended on all the best Aussie farm websitessmile.png

A few diesel fans.

Regards.

post-25023-0-92304800-1369310310_thumb.j

• Like 1

Phew! Thanks for the photo of the renewed healthy Moo.

I was getting more and more worried for him as the topic progressed, especially given the '...not an option for a variety of reasons...'
comments.

Now that you've eliminated most ticks, the chewable ivermectin tablet is an effective, low-cost option for a variety of reasons, the principal one being it actually works and works effectively.

This topic was covered a year ago now at:

http://www.thaivisa....-of-ticks-help/

The 'Front... ' packs and similar expensive pills have never worked for my tribe of Rotts.

See my post #38 VORMEC PLUS (ivermectin tablets) (FOR DOGS ONLY) is the solution to almost all your troubles; with photo. wai.gif

Edited by ataloss