Moaning Around - Question Of Mindset?

Swiss1960

Is it OK if I moan about that you post is too long?

You can do and I neither can nor will stop you... only tell you that being a member of ThaiVisa means to accept that long posts are allowed... and I will show you options how to deal with

- either ignore threads that exceed your capability of understanding (of course, only from a number of words point of view...)

- or find a forum where threads are limited to a fixed number of characters and therefore suit you better...

My mate moaned like hell about everything from the women to the cost of living. He left last week and there are probably more like him to follow.

That's what I call the "recalculating of the balance sheet". hope for your mate that he will find a "healthier" environment for his life.

You made spread sheets on various locations, based on what in particular, as you are looking at coming here to live very soon i am assuming you have been visiting as a tourist.

It is a very different place to be when living 24/7 and not just for short breaks, the moaning you talk about is probably based on several family factors that only become apparent when you stay here permanantly, along with the corruption, price increase of virtually everything you buy that does not have a price tag and many other points tourists never come into contact with.

A 3-4 week holiday with a loving Thai G/F is far from living 24/7 with the same girl but add the jelousy and family expectations and it is sometimes unbearable, if you have a Thai G/F living in your home country with you she will possibly completely change when living back in Thailand.

These are just a few of the points that have been mentioned on several different topics on TV over the years and no spreadsheet will allow for the unexpected that sometimes you only find from being a resident.

It would be good to see if your ideas and theories are still the same 2-3 years experience of living in Thailand..

• Like 1

"Created Balance Sheets" How Swiss of you (sorry but I could not resist that).

Looking forward to your post on the same subject after, say, 15 years of living here.

good god man, dont you have anything better to look forward to?

Edited by candypants
  • Like 1

You made spread sheets on various locations, based on what in particular, as you are looking at coming here to live very soon i am assuming you have been visiting as a tourist.

It is a very different place to be when living 24/7 and not just for short breaks, the moaning you talk about is probably based on several family factors that only become apparent when you stay here permanantly, along with the corruption, price increase of virtually everything you buy that does not have a price tag and many other points tourists never come into contact with.

A 3-4 week holiday with a loving Thai G/F is far from living 24/7 with the same girl but add the jelousy and family expectations and it is sometimes unbearable, if you have a Thai G/F living in your home country with you she will possibly completely change when living back in Thailand.

These are just a few of the points that have been mentioned on several different topics on TV over the years and no spreadsheet will allow for the unexpected that sometimes you only find from being a resident.

It would be good to see if your ideas and theories are still the same 2-3 years experience of living in Thailand..

Good post, good thinking, good question at the end, thank you.

Yes, you are right that the perception and valuation of negative things does change if you face them on a daily basis. But again, the question is whether from the mindset point of view, one is able to accept them (since he can not change them) or whether he goes negative about those things in his mind and starts feeling bad in the country. As I said, negative things exist in any country you live and - Gsxrnz put it very good - the question is about the glass being either half full or half empty.

• Like 1

"Created Balance Sheets" How Swiss of you (sorry but I could not resist that).

Looking forward to your post on the same subject after, say, 15 years of living here.

Hehe... good one thumbsup.gif

I'll make a note on the remarks section of my balance sheet to let you know if I am still alive at that time tongue.png

You can do and I neither can nor will stop you... only tell you that being a member of ThaiVisa means to accept that long posts are allowed... and I will show you options how to deal with

- either ignore threads that exceed your capability of understanding (of course, only from a number of words point of view...)

- or find a forum where threads are limited to a fixed number of characters and therefore suit you better...

Thanks for your kind advise, I feel much better now. Just want to point out that pretty much everything far exceed my capability of understanding. Maybe that is why I am so happy in Thailand. The locals around me are come across as highly intelligent and sophisticated people. Foreigners with high ranks in top secret military departments, that I didn't even though existed before I arrived in Thailand, share their classified information with me. Life it great and on good days, it can be tough to come up with stuff to moan about.

Yes, you are right that the perception and valuation of negative things does change if you face them on a daily basis. But again, the question is whether from the mindset point of view, one is able to accept them (since he can not change them) or whether he goes negative about those things in his mind and starts feeling bad in the country. As I said, negative things exist in any country you live and - Gsxrnz put it very good - the question is about the glass being either half full or half empty.

Gsxrnz is 100% correct, there are days i love Thailand and could never wish to be in another place but there are also days i absolutely detest the place and it's ways, the good days far outnumber the bad though.

For me a bad day is just that 1 day in a series of many good and if you can accept that you can have a good life here.

I sure don't wear rose-tinted glasses and as with Keith67 I also have the odd day that drive me nuts and I wish I had a Star Trek communicator and ask Scottie to beam me up. But 90% of the time I'm able to enjoy the weird stuff that happens here and at least try and understand why it happens.

My ex Father in law was a manic depressive, I think they call it bipolar now but who knows. He gave me a great lesson in life and how to be positive. He'd spent hours waxing his new car and had only just finished it when a seagull flew over and shat on it. Rather than laugh and clean it off, he went into a blind rage and smashed a headlight, then went into a dark mood that lasted 3 days. In the few words he uttered during those 3 days it transpires that he was convinced that this particular seagull had been hatched with the sole intention of waiting to s**t on his car. He was convinced it was a conspiracy against him personally. This was one of his darker moments but his life was pervaded by feelings of personal conspiracy and victimisation. He made himself a victim of life in general. It sure gave me a wakeup call and the need to look on the brighter side.

• Like 2

I sure don't wear rose-tinted glasses and as with Keith67 I also have the odd day that drive me nuts and I wish I had a Star Trek communicator and ask Scottie to beam me up. But 90% of the time I'm able to enjoy the weird stuff that happens here and at least try and understand why it happens.

My ex Father in law was a manic depressive, I think they call it bipolar now but who knows. He gave me a great lesson in life and how to be positive. He'd spent hours waxing his new car and had only just finished it when a seagull flew over and shat on it. Rather than laugh and clean it off, he went into a blind rage and smashed a headlight, then went into a dark mood that lasted 3 days. In the few words he uttered during those 3 days it transpires that he was convinced that this particular seagull had been hatched with the sole intention of waiting to s**t on his car. He was convinced it was a conspiracy against him personally. This was one of his darker moments but his life was pervaded by feelings of personal conspiracy and victimisation. He made himself a victim of life in general. It sure gave me a wakeup call and the need to look on the brighter side.

So what your saying is TV finest who belive the whole of Thailand is out to get them, ie conspiracy's against farangs, immigration is racist, Thai are xenophobic, double pricing, hosptials are ripping them off etc etc are paranoid manic depressives ?.....

I believe you may be right based some of the stuff thats written on TV...thumbsup.gif

Gsxrnz is 100% correct, there are days i love Thailand and could never wish to be in another place but there are also days i absolutely detest the place and it's ways, the good days far outnumber the bad though.

For me a bad day is just that 1 day in a series of many good and if you can accept that you can have a good life here.

So you leave your car dirty.thumbsup.gif

God Bless Twitter

Comes from the guy who's moaning about people moaning. smile.png

I have been waiting for that argument... but that is how I see it: There is a slight chance that through my post, somebody might think about the question of mindset and maybe change his own mindset... so I do see a chance for change... that is why I am moaning about moaning people thumbsup.gif

Some people came to Asia when it was an adventure. For them Thailand is a frame of mind/mind set. ( Same for Indonesia etc). They have learned to relax.

Others came here because they thought it was like home except the sun shines and they thought the women were "friendly". As soon as the novelty wore off they started looking for faults.

Some get sent here for work and are very slow to adapt.

Some people will moan no matter where they are.

Bit of a difference from "relaxed" to "idle " though.

OP, Swiss 1960.

You have made a go at my mindset in another thread. I replied in a way that you shut up and realized that the human psychology is not your field of expertise (so I thought).

I decided to let it at that. But not you... you appear here again in a 'new' thread moaning yet again about people and their 'mindset'.

I do not seek logic in your name on this forum, but just in case if you are Swiss and about 53 yo, may I suggest a few questions for you?

- Why did you bring your middle age crisis here, to Thailand?

- What is wrong with your own mindset that you are preoccupied with that of others?

- What stops you from having a healthy sex session and doing your own moaning and groaning instead of annoying so many people here?

- Why not climb one of your beautiful mountains, enjoy fresh air, excellent view and jerk off there without polluting the Thai Forum with your swiss precision ideas?

Thanks, my friend, and thanks again...wai2.gifcoffee1.gif

Ah, yes, if I am wrong and you are not a 53 yo Swiss - kindly find some other location of your own choice. All other people Swiss - just stay where you are, no objections from me.

Edited by ABCer

OP, Swiss 1960.

You have made a go at my mindset in another thread. I replied in a way that you shut up and realized that the human psychology is not your field of expertise (so I thought).

I decided to let it at that. But not you... you appear here again in a 'new' thread moaning yet again about people and their 'mindset'.

I do not seek logic in your name on this forum, but just in case if you are Swiss and about 53 yo, may I suggest a few questions for you?

- Why did you bring your middle age crisis here, to Thailand?

- What is wrong with your own mindset that you are preoccupied with that of others?

- What stops you from having a healthy sex session and doing your own moaning and groaning instead of annoying so many people here?

- Why not climb one of your beautiful mountains, enjoy fresh air, excellent view and jerk off there without polluting the Thai Forum with your swiss precision ideas?

Thanks, my friend, and thanks again...wai2.gifcoffee1.gif

Ah, yes, if I am wrong and you are not a 53 yo Swiss - kindly find some other location of your own choice. All other people Swiss - just stay where you are, no objections from me.

Dear ABCer

Sorry that you took my previous post so personal. Of course I did write to you based on the senctence “I like Thainland, Thailand does not like me”. Actually, I liked the answer you gave me on that other thread and even wanted to write back, but I think now, that’s not necessary anymore

However, this thread is not about “moaning at moaners” (at least that was not my intention), but asking why people moan instead of accepting facts that they can not change.

Now your interpretation of my nick here is correct. I am Swiss, 53y old, still working in Switzerland, but planning my move in short to medium term. For your other points... I seem to have hit a point with you... But I am at ease with myself and what I wrote and therefore do not need to counter your very personal remarks towards me. However, you will be unsuccessful in making me shut up wink.png

• Like 1