Voluntery Work

angie

I have a couple of hours spare during the day and would love to do some voluntery work in Bangkok.

Any idea where to start looking?

I have a work permit so no problems there.

Any help would be appreciated.

angie

Angie……a very pretty name you have here

With the avatar likes that, assume that’s you? Yes?....It shouldn’t be too difficult in finding “voluntary work” to fill your time. Just wear that exact same outfit, I’m sure lots of guys here will be happy to help you out. What a friends are for, right? :o

I have a couple of hours spare during the day and would love to do some voluntery work in Bangkok.

angie

hi!

when you chose to do something for animals vist one of these sites:

http://www.soidogrescue.org/

http://www.samuidog.org/

http://www.soidog.org/

I also know that any help is demanded by visiting foreign prisoners.

(plse no negative reactions about guilt etc. etc.)

Your work permit is only for the employment and location specified in the book,

not for other jobs, like volunteering.

Take care.

Edited by astral

Thanks Tony and Astral.

I would be prepared to add to my work permit should i find something suitable with the time i have spare.

I have thought about foreign prisoners but would really like to help the poor women and children, who so desperately need the help, but i would only do it through a reputable organisation.

Again, any links or referals would be much appreciated.

angie

Howabout helping out at www.mercycentre.org run by Father Joe.

The Mercycentre is based in the slums of Klong Tery.

This very well-known foundation strives to help and assist street kids and their rights, provide relief and shelters to the needy and help local victims of AIDS and drug addiction etc.....

Edited by stevesuphan

angie

Hi Angie,

Try http://www.goodwillbangkok.com/site/newsle....asp?page_id=95

Located near the British Embassy and handy for the Skytrain.

Cheers,

John_Betong

I did a lot of volunteer work through my school on my non-imm O visa. I studied full time using the same visa as well.

There are often no problems with volunteering IF <big if> the volunteer work you are doing is not taling a paying job from a Thai person. Technically it is illegal without a workpermit for the volunteer work you are doing.

What the heck? There are people in real need in Thailand and in this part of the world, why would you suggest donating time (money) to help soi dogs?

Soi dogs are discusting, dangerous and spread disease. The best way to get rid of soi dogs is to shoot them as they do in India.

angie

I think you could spend some useful time scampering around checking out which posters on TV have more than one identity.

Because, IMHO, they are puerile pests who continually demonstrate their own social inadequacies, constantly disguising themselves because they lack both the wit and the skill to maintain an honest persona.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

What the heck? There are people in real need in Thailand and in this part of the world, why would you suggest donating time (money) to help soi dogs?

Soi dogs are discusting, dangerous and spread disease. The best way to get rid of soi dogs is to shoot them as they do in India.

Soi Dog or Uk_Falang? Soi Dog wins everytime I'm afraid! :o

I'm with ya Britmaveric.

The only thing you forgot to say is "soi dogs are actually smart -and- uk_falang...not sure"

:o

I did a lot of volunteer work through my school on my non-imm O visa. I studied full time using the same visa as well.

There are often no problems with volunteering IF <big if> the volunteer work you are doing is not taling a paying job from a Thai person. Technically it is illegal without a workpermit for the volunteer work you are doing.

The school I went to is known for its community work. However, one hour here and three hours there in a week is hardly going to sustain someone, either farang or Thai. Perhaps it was fine for me to volunteer because my normal occupation was that of a full-time student.

As a more experienced poster, I agree with him.

One of the joys of living in a muslim country, as I do at the moment, is the absence of dogs

and the mess they leave behind.

If they considered that a normal part of being a student? maybe :-) just as likely is This is Thailand ... :-)

The choice was up to us, but most secondary students at my school did ad hoc volunteering. I never saw any BIB throwing random students into a paddy wagon because they played with slum children once a week or because they were fundraising for a village in Isaan.

As a more experienced poster, I agree with him.

One of the joys of living in a muslim country, as I do at the moment, is the absence of dogs

and the mess they leave behind.

I think, that "humans" were the first responsable to leave the dogs behind causing now the problems! The dogs never asked to be left in this situation.

hehehe..good one Britmaveric. Voted for Soidog to survive :D

Thanks everyone!

Been in touch with Father Joe's mission and the Thai red cross society.

Going to see them next week, it would be just nice to put something back into the place i love and consider home - Thailand.

angie