Signatures On Pix

I have a new ASUS laptop and the pix load on from the camera card to a program called ACDsee pro3.

This program says it has compatibility problems that I haven't tried to fix.

I crop the pix with a program called Photo scape

I also have photo shop but haven't tried to have a go at it yet.

post-84869-0-89679200-1368258533_thumb.j

Just whipped this one up using the method in the video. Here, it is used as a watermark, making "theft" of the image difficult. If you are using it simply as a "signature, you can scale the brush way down and make it much less obtrusive.

Edited by Curt1591

its called a watermark;

plenty of software out there that will give u an idea of how to add,

Just do a google search

Keep in mind that even with a watermark ( which can be removed easy enough )

your photos once out there are out of ur control

I use Zenfolio for all my images an then post a long to the image, Never put anything i would want to lose online.

http://blog.zenfolio.com/blog/2008/5/watermarks-protecting-your-digital-content

Photoshop is great although not really a good idea for beginners;

try adobe elements or light room or the free Picasa program

I use photoshop for creating my watermark make it semi opaque. Also ONLY use a scaled down size of the image if i am going to send it to someone or posting anywhere so if it is copied ( facebook is notorious for this) it will not be a very good image quality

Just a thought!!!

One should make sure that if adding a watermark/ signature, that you should do a "save as" to the original....and not use an original when posting ..... just in case someone actually wants to buy that "million dollar picture" we always wish we had to sell ....

It won't be salable with your signed mark on it !!!!!

attachicon.gif_MG_4743w.jpg

Just whipped this one up using the method in the video. Here, it is used as a watermark, making "theft" of the image difficult. If you are using it simply as a "signature, you can scale the brush way down and make it much less obtrusive.

Sorry curt1591 but for somebody with some photoshop skills it takes 5 mins to get rid of that watermark.
  • Like 1

attachicon.gif_MG_4743w.jpg

Sorry curt1591 but for somebody with some photoshop skills it takes 5 mins to get rid of that watermark.

Since the context of the thread is "signatures", it doesn't seem to me that Robby is too concerned with "protection". I whipped something up for demo purposes. If I was truly watermarking it, I would use different processes, visual and otherwise.

Few people with the photoshop skills to remove even simple watermarks, would be likely to steal someone else's images. But, if they did, and I felt "damaged", I could easily make a case.

Here's a nifty way of doing it with Photoshop:

I think of that as a really nice signature, not a way to preserve copyright. You could quickly remove that sig with photoshop. You could remove this watermark too, but it wouldn't be worth it.

I did this very quickly with photoshop, and now I can place it on any pic I want.

Neversure-2.jpg

Edited by NeverSure

Thanks all for that

What I really wanted to do was to show that what I put on here were pix that I have taken myself not picked up from another site.

Still if I was really keen I suppose I could put my name on any ones work.

I have, since posting worked out how to get a txt signature on with ACDC pro3 but will now go back and do it with a watermark as you all say.

However I will post some pix with my name on in nature.

Thanks again

See you accomplished your mission... RL thumbsup.gif

This goes back a few years, when I used to do Beta testing for ACDsee... but if you really want to know if your images are being stolen, there is software that ACDsee makes (probably other companies too) that can detect if any image is taken and used by someone....

It was not cheap, from what I remember... I am going back at least 10 years on this... They sell it through their corporate accounts, not consumer software sales...

If anyone is seriously interested I am sure more info could be gotten through their web site or contacting them wink.png ...

The bottom line:

If your image is so valuable that you want to be sure no one ever steals it, then don't post it online. That is the securest and safest method of protecting your digital images.

Webdesign

I agree that's the safest. What if you want to display your pics as for sale/use? I can't think of the name of that one photo provider who's images I see a lot with a star burst pattern watermark? Their pics show up a lot in google images. If you want to use their image they want you to pay for it. I think they are like a broker who takes pics from others, and then sells usage rights? ??

It's kind of hard to market pics without showing them?

The bottom line:

If your image is so valuable that you want to be sure no one ever steals it, then don't post it online. That is the securest and safest method of protecting your digital images.

Webdesign

I agree that's the safest. What if you want to display your pics as for sale/use? I can't think of the name of that one photo provider who's images I see a lot with a star burst pattern watermark? Their pics show up a lot in google images. If you want to use their image they want you to pay for it. I think they are like a broker who takes pics from others, and then sells usage rights? ??

There are many what are termed Royalty Free image sites. This doesn't mean free to use as you wish and you still have to pay for them. But it is a one time payment and has to satisfy their TOS as to how and where they will be used but no royalties from the use. Often individual photographers will submit them there for sale. What you will normally see is low res (web quality only) images with watermarks and you buy the high resolution printable ones. One place I dealt with is Dreamstime but there are many more sites with similar operational mechanisms. I've looked into this a lot when doing the Thaivisa calendar and considered going that route. Some photos can be remarkably expensive though but some very cheap.

Also if images are found to be stolen that are copyrighted as above they can take legal action starting with contacting the ISP that the website is running under and also direct to the website owners.

• Like 1

The bottom line:

Webdesign

There are many what are termed Royalty Free image sites. This doesn't mean free to use as you wish and you still have to pay for them. But it is a one time payment and has to satisfy their TOS as to how and where they will be used but no royalties from the use. Often individual photographers will submit them there for sale. What you will normally see is low res (web quality only) images with watermarks and you buy the high resolution printable ones. One place I dealt with is Dreamstime but there are many more sites with similar operational mechanisms. I've looked into this a lot when doing the Thaivisa calendar and considered going that route. Some photos can be remarkably expensive though but some very cheap.

Also if images are found to be stolen that are copyrighted as above they can take legal action starting with contacting the ISP that the website is running under and also direct to the website owners.

Certainly I agree with you. I've been thinking that one possible way to make a little money while having fun in Thailand is to try to sell images. I know there are others doing that but I don't know if they make anything.

As for the watermark above, I took a screen shot rather than using the finished image. I don't know if that's violating anything. I also didn't reveal any of the instructions being given by the author. I also ruined the image rather than trying to steal it. I may be dead wrong, but I'd be surprised about a complaint or even a valid claim against that??

I can lower the opacity of a watermark so it is just barely visible, and still ruin the pic against theft. I suppose if I was serious about selling images, that watermark would be a web site address. ??

The bottom line:

Webdesign

Tywais, what are the rules about posting links to other sites? In the Harley Davidson forum, there is an old, old thread where some other guys and I were figuring out how to do that watermark I did above using photoshop. That forum has a photoshop section.

If I could post a link, the complete instructions including alternative methods are right there, as we figured it out and posted how we did it. You can make the watermark 3D if desired and it looks pressed into the picture.

The bottom line:

Webdesign

Tywais, what are the rules about posting links to other sites? In the Harley Davidson forum, there is an old, old thread where some other guys and I were figuring out how to do that watermark I did above using photoshop. That forum has a photoshop section.

If I could post a link, the complete instructions including alternative methods are right there, as we figured it out and posted how we did it. You can make the watermark 3D if desired and it looks pressed into the picture.

If it is a link to another forum it is not allowed under TV rules. Nothing to prevent a PM to them though. Plus there are many photoshop tutorials out there to show how to do it. YouTube would be a good place to find it also. I get a lot of tutorials from Youtube from photography to high tech engineering.

If it is a link to another forum it is not allowed under TV rules. Nothing to prevent a PM to them though. Plus there are many photoshop tutorials out there to show how to do it. YouTube would be a good place to find it also. I get a lot of tutorials from Youtube from photography to high tech engineering.

I have looked and looked, and YouTube can get the job done, but the techniques make it difficult. I guess the good news is that you have to do it just once. After that you have the layer you can overlay, and size to what you want, using it over and over. Here's one that gets the job done the hard way, and below that is a pic I watermarked easily. I could have lowered the opacity quite a bit. At least this YouTube vid winds up with a good watermark layer.

pictt.jpg

• Like 2

After reading all the posts I still do not understand why some pictures are watermarked in general. Tywais said accordingly, just dont post them online and problem solved.

So then, if someone would steal(copy) your picture online would he be able to abuse your creation? If so, in what way? I am looking for an example of photo theft but it is unclear where to focus. Neversure holds up his name by talking about people are making money off photography in Thailand. But still unsure..

If i was a thief i would get(not steal) the watermarked pic from the net and simply crop out the small watermark in the corner..

Neversure, is this the reason why i have never seen any of your material? ... I forgot to quote but i try to get your attention.

Edited by Dancealot

After reading all the posts I still do not understand why some pictures are watermarked in general. Tywais said accordingly, just dont post them online and problem solved.

So then, if someone would steal(copy) your picture online would he be able to abuse your creation? If so, in what way? I am looking for an example of photo theft but it is unclear where to focus. Neversure holds up his name by talking about people are making money off photography in Thailand. But still unsure..

If i was a thief i would get(not steal) the watermarked pic from the net and simply crop out the small watermark in the corner..

Neversure, is this the reason why i have never seen any of your material? ... I forgot to quote but i try to get your attention.

Up to you as they say, Dancelot. I could easily remove those smaller bottom corner sigs from a picture with photoshop. I wouldn't need to crop. Putting a watermark simply makes it so much harder that someone would probably go looking for an easier target.

Yes, I would never post a picture that I thought had sales value on the internet without a watermark. Everyday photos I don't care.

Dancelot, the reason I don't post pictures is because I'm not actively in Thailand and when I have been the last couple of times I didn't have time to do photography. My idea of doing real photography, and we have at least a couple of guys here who are great and who do it, is to choose the time of day and maybe even the weather. That is of course unless it is a fleeting opportunity at something which won't be there later. That thing has to be very rare, or I have to get really lucky for the picture to be a photograph. But I will see a good subject, and return in better lighting to get a photograph.

So my photographs would be off topic, unless say doing a photoshop tut or something.

I really, really enjoy visiting the threads with pictures here and I'm sure most photographers see my "likes" on many of their photos.

They post their pictures without watermarks and that's a choice. I see some of them that probably have sales value. Some of them are truly great photos. Add to that the fact that they are of Thailand, and I think they have value.

We aren't allowed to discuss illegal activities here, so I won't discuss the idea of selling digital photos online as a source of at least additional income.

Seriously. There are some really good photographers on this forum, with a candy store of subjects in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just a reminder not to water mark your photos with a link to a commercial web site

when you are posting in Thaivisa. This will be deemed to be Spam.

Thanks for your understanding