Lack Of Attraction To People For Questionable Reasons

OK, I think most human beings at least understand (if you don't share) lack of physical attraction to people who are:

Very fat (though some cultures that is prized)

Very, very thin

Very old and wrinkly

Diseased with open sores, etc.

Too smart (exhausting)

Too dumb (embarrassing)

But what about lack of attraction for other things that aren't quite that universal?

This question came up for me when an otherwise very attractive person approached me EXCEPT that he had quite an ELONGATED face.

I just won't go there.

Where does that come from?

There is nothing objectively wrong with an elongated face but I have always been averse to them.

I also don't like mustaches especially weak ones but at least those can be removed.

I think everyone probably has their own list of irrational reasons that attraction gets shut off.

Such as eye shape.

Anyway, its a mystery to me why elongated faces can't work for me. What are your irrational turnoffs?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facial symmetry is a well studied aspect of beauty and attraction. It is far from being an irrational turnoff to be attracted to symmetrical faces and bodies, in my opinion.

I am aware people generally find symmetrical faces more lovely but it still feels irrational to me. Like this case of not being interested at all in a person that otherwise would very much attract me just based on face shape. Seems strange how STRONG that is.

Not a matter of right or wrong. You can't help how you feel.

Edited by Jingthing

Facial symmetry is a well studied aspect of beauty and attraction. It is far from being an irrational turnoff to be attracted to symmetrical faces and bodies, in my opinion.

I am aware people generally find symmetrical faces more lovely but it still feels irrational to me. Like this case of not being interested at all in a person that otherwise would very much attract me just based on face shape. Seems strange how STRONG that is.

Okay, you have convinced me, you are totally superficial.tongue.pnglaugh.png

I just couldn't look at that freaky shape face for more than a second or two!

I know you were joking but actually I'm not.

I have noticed over the years that I'm quite open to different kinds of "looks" that most people would say based on objective cultural norms are downright ugly! But elongated faces ... no!

Edited by Jingthing

Okay, you have convinced me, you are totally superficial.tongue.pnglaugh.png

I just couldn't look at that freaky shape face for more than a second or two!

I know you were joking but actually I'm not.

I have noticed over the years that I'm quite open to different kinds of "looks" that most people would say based on objective cultural norms are downright ugly! But elongated faces ... no!

That is okay, don’t beat yourself up over it.smile.png

Off the top of my head, some of my turnoffs are:

Big foreheads

Random chin hairs

Nose moles

Women that fart on first dates

unshaven legs

hairy armpits

Black 'Rat like' eyes

Extremely thin lips

Nasal accents

Horsey laughs

Horn rimmed glasses

Studio posed photographs (as per what people post on dating sites)

• Like 1

Do you think we are actually BORN with strong aversions, such as to elongated faces? It feels that way in my case. I don't know where I would have learned that.

Interesting. I recall reading a book on ancient Britain which described the pre celtic inhabitants as long headed mongoloids. The aversion,if one exists, is more likely to be a phylogenetic manifestation. If your family ,group or tribe does not have that characteristic then you experience an aversion to those who exhibit the characteristic. In ancient times it would have been a useful protective mechanism to help you identify those who didn't belong to your tribe and who might therefore pose a threat.smile.png

Off the top of my head, some of my turnoffs are:

Big foreheads

Random chin hairs

Nose moles

Women that fart on first dates

unshaven legs

hairy armpits

Black 'Rat like' eyes

Extremely thin lips

Nasal accents

Horsey laughs

Horn rimmed glasses

Studio posed photographs (as per what people post on dating sites)

Yes, women who burp and fart on a first date are definitely a turnoff. So are unnaturally skinny thighs which create a cavern in the crotch.

As for the black rat eyes, I was watching a show on Crime Channel where it was suggested they indicate a degree of evil or criminal tendency .... yet I find them kind of kinky.

Do you think we are actually BORN with strong aversions, such as to elongated faces? It feels that way in my case. I don't know where I would have learned that.

Interesting. I recall reading a book on ancient Britain which described the pre celtic inhabitants as long headed mongoloids. The aversion,if one exists, is more likely to be a phylogenetic manifestation. If your family ,group or tribe does not have that characteristic then you experience an aversion to those who exhibit the characteristic. In ancient times it would have been a useful protective mechanism to help you identify those who didn't belong to your tribe and who might therefore pose a threat.smile.png

I reckon it is related to breeding of future offspring. Ironic in my case.

Well, long faces, this is understandable.

Who wants to walk around with someone who always needs cheering up?

But then how do you feel about Epicanthic Folds?

(You know, this sounds like one of my topics. Actually...)

Oh, so now you're a black belt in origami as well, eh?

Seriously, though, it is a sad fact of life to see so many undergoing unnecessary surgery to change their facial features trying to conform to fads in physiognomy.

Botched surgery and long faces are often the result when those attempting this do not have the money, or try to cut corners.

Balzac was ugly

And he did not have surgery.

Balzac?

His name was appropriate enough, I guess.

He never tried to change that either.

"... it would have been a useful protective mechanism to help you identify those who didn't belong to your tribe ..."

Hans Christian Anderson wrote about that: The Ugly Duckling.

And of course there was the Twilight Zone episode where all these lovely people found the blonde to be too hideous for words.

post-145917-0-59847900-1368196367_thumb.

post-145917-0-69736800-1368196402_thumb.

As I recall, not the Andaman Islands, but near this place, there were (are) tribes of people with particularly large buttocks compared to their small overall stature.

There are images of these people on the internet somewhere but I cannot seem to find the url at the moment.

The women have truly huge buttocks which enables them to store enough energy to last quite a while.

I don't find them especially attractive.

But when one's goal is to procreate then having a big ass has plenty of advantages when there is not a lot of food around.

No doubt someone here knows the people I am referring to.

Easy to spot one of these individuals walking down the road, 4 feet tall with an ass resembling two basketballs.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

As I recall, not the Andaman Islands, but near this place, there were (are) tribes of people with particularly large buttocks compared to their small overall stature.

There are images of these people on the internet somewhere but I cannot seem to find the url at the moment.

The women have truly huge buttocks which enables them to store enough energy to last quite a while.

I don't find them especially attractive.

But when one's goal is to procreate then having a big ass has plenty of advantages when there is not a lot of food around.

No doubt someone here knows the people I am referring to.

Easy to spot one of these individuals walking down the road, 4 feet tall with an ass resembling two basketballs.

I think you're a pervert. Who would want to procreate with a dwarf with a big ass!cheesy.gif