Isn't Smoking In Restaurants Illegal?

petedk

I've been meaning to eat at a certain Italian resturant on Ekamai after reading good revies of the place.

Today I took the girl friend there and when we went in I thought I could smell stale smoke but didn't mention it or do anything about it.

We sat down and ordered the food and then the girlfriend said she could smell smoke. We looked around and nearly all the customers were smoking. We called the staff and complained and they just said that it was normal and that smoking was allowed all over the restaurant. We tried to cancel the food and leave but of course it was too late.

The food was quite good but we'll never go back as we came out with sore eyes and clothes sinking of stale smoke.

Is this beginning to be normal in Bangkok?

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We looked around and nearly all the customers were smoking".

Looks like you're in the minority mate, just go somewhere else.

You're right about that.

Yes, there are plenty of other good restaurants around.

Smoking is illegal in restaurants, soo is...

Prostitution, bribing police officers, government corruption, selling beer between 12-5pm, driving on sidewalks, setting up a stall within 5 meters(?) of a cross walk, not using the meter in a taxi, driving over 80kph on highways, driving on the shoulder of the road, etc......

but no one seems to care.

Smoking is only illegal in enclosed airconditioned restaurants.....but as you say so are many other tings that are ignored..

Ahh, I remember my days as a freshman in Bangkok. Stayed the initial two weeks at Sofitel Suk 6. As one would understand, I didn't figure out the bleeding one way street system until the second week, which meant I always grabbed a cab outside the hotel and he couldn't make a U-turn once he entered Sukhumvit. One evening, I grabbed a cab to go to a dinner with a customer, Nana packed with hookers, drug dealers, thieves, scam artists, all sorts of criminals you have and haven't heard of, motorbike drivers without a helmet and pickpockets and various other dodge stuff only Buddha keeps account of. I asked the driver if he could make a U-turn:

"no no, mai dai, police!!", the driver replied.

In hindsight, I think that moment was the exact point in time when I solved the riddle we all love to live in: the answer to the question in Thailand is not "42", but "adjust".

And I'd just like to add, on a personal note, my own disgust towards the idea of turning the best rugby place in Bangkok to a cigarette infested stink-bomb.

Soi 8 Bar, what he he** happened, why did you choose to break up with me...?

Smoking is illegal in restaurants, soo is...

Prostitution, bribing police officers, government corruption, selling beer between 12-5pm, driving on sidewalks, setting up a stall within 5 meters(?) of a cross walk, not using the meter in a taxi, driving over 80kph on highways, driving on the shoulder of the road, etc......

but no one seems to care.

Smoking is only illegal in enclosed airconditioned restaurants.....but as you say so are many other tings that are ignored..

It goes for all restaurants inside or outside sitting

I smoke cigarettes.I would not smoke in a restaurant or any place people are eating.At home I only smoke outside.In a bar if it was no smoking they would not get my baht,love a smoke with a beer

I am of a similar mind. I dont light up around people who dont smoke in public places. Whats the big deal with going outside? If a bar is a smoking bar then yes I will inside light up inside but if its not there is no problem to go outside and enjoy my cig. When at home I go outside as well.

Back in the states I didnt like when they banned smoking in bars but came to like it after I saw how much cleaner everything was. I just dont like when they dont allow smoking outside (which some did no their premises).

I would draw a line under smoking cigars and pipes in restaurants as they chuff out an uncomfortable amount of smoke making it difficult to focus on ones after dinner brandy.

As for the odd cig here or there well thats akin to somebody breaking wind and no big deal!

A few years ago I was staying at one of the better Khon Kaen hotels and dined in their restaurant. I was aware of a law about smoking in confined spaces but I noticed an obvious phu yai sitting at a table immediately in front of a small stage surrounded by ladies of varying attractiveness. The ladies would go onto the stage, deliver their musical (?) offering and then rejoin Mr. Big at his table. This panjandrum was smoking one cigarette after another and guzzling away at the hard stuff. I asked the waiter if I would be permitted to smoke as I savoured my post postprandial brandy and received an affirmative response. The waiter brought me an ashtray. Some people at another table some little way away complained to the waiter who communicated their complaint to me. I walked across to the table and told them that I had asked for permission but would be happy to comply with their wishes on the condition that they made a complaint to His Highness who was sitting nearer to them than I was. There were no takers - and I finished my cigarette in peace.

I hasten to add that I am aware that smoking is an annoyance, if not a health risk, to many and shape my behaviour accordingly. I discourage the family's kids from even trying the experience and stress that it is a pernicious and dangerous practice. Although I have smoked for 62 years without ill effect (so far), I am with the non-smokers in this matter. .

When I get to a thesaurus...you're in trouble.

I'm always in the s**t. Only the depth varies.

• Like 1