Poll: Men -- Are You Comfortable Sharing A Slice Of Cake With Another Man In A Restaurant?

Let us eat cake (or not)  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think nothing of sharing a piece of cake, but with two plates. Two people eating from the same plate is awkward. Doesn't matter if it's with a man or a woman. Especially sitting across from each other. Or are we supposed to move next to each other too? Cut the slice in two and put half on each plate.

Edited by DP25

I'd think nothing of sharing a piece of cake, but with two plates. Two people eating from the same plate is awkward. Doesn't matter if it's with a man or a woman. Especially sitting across from each other. Or are we supposed to move next to each other too? Cut the slice in two and put half on each plate.

That's cheating. One plate or nothing. Which is it?

In case you don't get my point. In a crowded restaurant if you've got two plates it looks like you're eating separate items. No sexuality image question with that. Both you picking at the same dainty cake TOGETHER, you're projecting a certain image. That's just the way it is. And THAT is the question in the poll. Not your dodge.

Edited by Jingthing

I get the point, it's just dumb to share something like a piece cake on a single plate in a restaurant. If I'm eating with another dude he's going to be sitting across from me so we can talk. It's not conductive to sharing from a single plate. Even with finger food I take from the shared plates and put on my own. I object because it is a dumb thing to do, not because it makes me look gay. There is no reason to share a piece of cake from the same plate, but I am not uncomfortable with the idea because I think it looks gay.

Edited by DP25

I get the point, it's just dumb to share something like a piece cake on a single plate in a restaurant. If I'm eating with another dude he's going to be sitting across from me so we can talk. It's not conductive to sharing from a single plate. Even with finger food I take from the shared plates and put on my own. I object because it is a dumb thing to do, not because it makes me look gay. There is no reason to share a piece of cake from the same plate, but I am not uncomfortable with the idea because I think it looks gay.

Coffee Bar

You each have your own drinks and share several pieces of cake and pie. I do it all the time.

Coffee Bar

You each have your own drinks and share several pieces of cake and pie. I do it all the time.

I would still prefer to cut the items up and distribute them on plates for everyone. But I don't think it's gay if you don't, and wouldn't have a problem with it.

So it's ok for me to answer this JT, but you don't care if I prefer my peanut butter crunchy or smooth..Posted Image

Crunchy, innit?

People from other countries than the USA, do you think two men together sharing a slice of cake would NOT be assumed to be gay in your home countries? I am sure about what most people think in the USA. 

JT, you can dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians, but as for the peanut butter bit....I don't wanna know..:D

So it's ok for me to answer this JT, but you don't care if I prefer my peanut butter crunchy or smooth..Posted Image

Crunchy, innit?

People from other countries than the USA, do you think two men together sharing a slice of cake would NOT be assumed to be gay in your home countries? I am sure about what most people think in the USA. 

bit like sharing a milkshake....you know 2 straws, 1 glass, Barry White on the jukebox. Brokeback mountain in the distance ...;)

So it's ok for me to answer this JT, but you don't care if I prefer my peanut butter crunchy or smooth..biggrin.png

Crunchy, innit?

bit like sharing a milkshake....you know 2 straws, 1 glass, Barry White on the jukebox. Brokeback mountain in the distance ...wink.png

Less all out than the milkshake.

post-37101-0-13442400-1368284751_thumb.j

Straight guys: Still comfortable with this with a man? Really?

Edited by Jingthing

Inspired by an interview with David Sedaris on the Daily Show.

That was a classic interview, it was a book promotion interview, but they got so side tracked with the weriod folks wanting a signing, they never got to mention the book. Yesterday it was online. David was not even trying to be funny, but it was a real cracker.

• Like 1

Inspired by an interview with David Sedaris on the Daily Show.

That was a classic interview, it was a book promotion interview, but they got so side tracked with the weriod folks wanting a signing, they never got to mention the book. Yesterday it was online. David was not even trying to be funny, but it was a real cracker.

Indeed. The cake story resonated with me thinking about the times I've shared a slice of cake with another man in U.S. restaurants; yes, people including wait staff give you that look of knowing.

Edited by Jingthing

So your saying there is one plate, with one slice of cake and two utensils (fork/spoon) or just one utensil?

I gotta say I'm REALLY bad at sharing cake with ANYONE. MY CAKE biggrin.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I realize the shared cake situation might arise in various situations, but can't really understand why it would normally be an issue in the first place.

Most women decide to share things to impress everyone with their small appetites, but most men (I'm guessing) who decided to order some cake would want to eat what they were served and if someone else wanted more than a taste, would ask the waiter for another slice for the cake moocher ... or eat half and hand the other person the plate with the remaining half ... if the restaurant suddenly experienced a cake shortage.

The way most food is served in Thai restaurants would probably make sharing from some communal dishes seem more natural since people tend to take a little of this and a little of that anyway.

Edited by Suradit69

I have never heard of the author and still have no idea what the book is about !!! But it was just a classic interview that got so side tracked, you can not plan stuff like that. It has probably sold more book that way thinking about it, here we are talking about it and have no bloody idea what it is about !!!

cake.jpg

Straight guys: Still comfortable with this with a man? Really?

OK, now I finally know it has to be a wind up. You wouldn't actually suggest 2 people not in love or (soon to be) would do that. No wonder the whole thing was so silly to me...eating something a certain makes you look gay and that should worry a straight guy?!

Poppycock and balderdash!

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

Here's a list of things I'd never share with another man:

Bodily fluids

Underwear

Wife/gf

An elevator after a meal of baked beans and chili

Is cake on the list? No? Then I'm ok with sharing a slice of cake in a restaurant.

T

• Like 1

Who cares what two guy eating cake do? Gay or not it's really nobody's bizz. Its really an observation thing. If you observe two men sharing a slice and your first though is "oh, those guys must be gay" says more about your state of sexual programming and possible bias than anything. It's just two dudes having cake for crying out loud! Lol! Gawd!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

In a restaurant

At a spa

In a limo

Or any car

On the rooftop

Of a bar

Or anywhere at the

Night Bazar

Would I, should I, dare I?

Share a cake and glass of Spy?

With a human of a gender

Exactly the same as I?

That depends on the type of cake.

T

• Like 1

One thing I would like to understand about JTs polls.... frequently the last option is,

Null vote / Grumpy expat option

Why grumpy expat option, why even mention that, wouldn't 'No opinion' mean the same thing....... no it wouldn't would it of course.

JT, you need help.

It's like double-dipping a chip in the dip.

It isn't really.

A dip is for a party group of couple.

Sharing one slice of cake is between two specific people and hopefully you can aim your forks to minimize overlap.

For purposes of the poll question, you COULD cut the cake in half. But one plate. Firm on the ONE plate thing.

Edited by Jingthing