Poll: Men -- Are You Comfortable Sharing A Slice Of Cake With Another Man In A Restaurant?

Let us eat cake (or not)  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have never heard of the author and still have no idea what the book is about !!! But it was just a classic interview that got so side tracked, you can not plan stuff like that. It has probably sold more book that way thinking about it, here we are talking about it and have no bloody idea what it is about !!!

Sedaris is a highly entertaining and talented essayist and short story writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sedaris

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares what two guy eating cake do? Gay or not it's really nobody's bizz. Its really an observation thing. If you observe two men sharing a slice and your first though is "oh, those guys must be gay" says more about your state of sexual programming and possible bias than anything. It's just two dudes having cake for crying out loud! Lol! Gawd!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Yes and no. This isn't always clear cut even with gay men. Like sharing a slice of cake with an EX. Again, in the USA (I can't speak for other countries) not only would many people assume the gay thing, they'd assume the couple is an ITEM. That can be a creepy feeling if you're not. (Yes, exes socializing is a common gay thing.)

People can act like they don't care at at all what strangers think about them in public. But most people if they're being honest do care at least a little.

Edited by Jingthing

I have never heard of the author and still have no idea what the book is about !!! But it was just a classic interview that got so side tracked, you can not plan stuff like that. It has probably sold more book that way thinking about it, here we are talking about it and have no bloody idea what it is about !!!

Sedaris is a highly entertaining and talented essayist and short story writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sedaris

David Sedaris is great. Anything he writes about himself or his family is hilarious. I like the stories about him working as a Christmas elf when he was young the best.

When it comes to the cake, I can't see anyone thinking much about it unless the guys come across as stereotypically gay.

so if you are in a restaurant and you and your companion is discussing a new business venture, the weather or how the new puppy shat behind the lounge again or whatever and he is eating a cake and you only have a coffee in front of you and he asks you if you would like a bit - that should be construed as a gay come on .............................Come on ...................are you serious ?

Jt. I finally saw that interview last night. Finally had time to. I DVR all the daily shows and Colbert reports.

It seems to me that the cake observations made stem from the homophobic conditioning of society. and while I concur that the cake scenario is probably accurate for the most part, it's rapidly starting to change.

I am perhaps a reformed non cake sharer. In my younger days I would not share cake. Nor would I sit on the same side of the the restaurant booth, sit in a theater with out at least one empty seat in between, etc.

But now I just don't worry or think about what others perceive as much. At least not about that.

Sedaris and the beard analogy was hilarious also btw.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Just out of curiosity, how many people actually have been listening to Sedaris on "This American Life", a US radio program?

My opinion, and I am sure it is not reflective of most, is that he ruins the show every time he is on.

I really don't like this guy and I wish he would just Shut UP!

This American Life, I love this program.

Sadaris?

He is the reason I don't donate to the show.

Talk about an Albatross.

Someone should jettison this, this, this.........

Writer

And get on with an otherwise entertaining 59 minutes..

OK, I can understand that most people recognize his talent.

And I do appreciate it too.

It is only when I am getting really interested in This American Life

With Ira

That this guy Sadaris

Ruins my mood.

I know Sadaris is good

But he is bad for This American Life

IMHO