Dropped Cash Returned, What Would You Have Done?

thonglorjimmy

I was in a Mini Mart off Sukhumvit at 07.00 buying some Paracetamol, the tablets were about 10 Baht, I took some coins out of my pocket, paid the young lady and went on my way.

I was a few metres down the street when I heard somebody shouting, on turning round I saw the young lady from Mini Mart. She thrust 650 Baht into my hand and ran back to shop, seems I had dropped the cash when I took the coins out when I paid for my tablets, though it took a while to sink in.

So what you have done, carried on walking or gone back to the shop?

I would probably have given her 100 - 200 baht (10%) reward and a huge thanks.

I have been in the opposite sitaution twice.

Once when I was studying and working part-time in a restaurant I saw a guy drop a HUGE wad of 5 pound notes. It seemed huge on my 20 pound a week salary but I guess there must have been 500 pound or more. I chased him and gave the money back to him. Not a word from him!!!!

Second time was recently in a coffee shop on Asoke. I saw a young girl paying for coffee and she dropped about 5 x 1000 baht notes. I picked them up for her and she gave me a big beautiful smile and said thank you.

The smile was enough :)

Luckily it is just 650 thb ! I am sure that nobody would have returned $650 !

The TVF "Bitter and Twisted" are never far below the surface.

We have an example of honesty.

We must now conclude that a person who has demonstrated honesty would only be honest up to a certain value.

A conclusion based on no evidence whatsoever rather an the bitter and twisted cynicism that stalks this forum.

It's interesting to contemplate the price of honesty. Last year in Singapore a thai couple left a million dollars in the back of a cab. The cab driver turned it in and the money was returned. I would like to think that if I had gotten in the back of that cab and found that amount of money I would also have turned it in. Then again I may have rationalised that if some one is brain dead enough to carry that amount of cash around and then lose deserves to lose it.

I wonder how many 'honest' people would be tempted to keep such a big winfall if it fell into their hands.

Edited by canman
  • Like 1

Cannab^

you mightfeel the need to ponder the limits of your own honesty but to apply your own doubts to someone you don't know anything about other than the fact that they have demonstrated honesty is pretty sick really.

We afterall could not leave at a simple act of honesty, a simple example of an honest person.

Nah this is the TVF, home of the bitter and twisted.

• Like 2

Cannab^

you mightfeel the need to ponder the limits of your own honesty but to apply your own doubts to someone you don't know anything about other than the fact that they have demonstrated honesty is pretty sick really.

We afterall could not leave at a simple act of honesty, a simple example of an honest person.

Nah this is the TVF, home of the bitter and twisted.

Agree with you there, I didn't intend to imply my doubts were attributable to the subject of the op.

• Like 1

I was 17 just finished my days work walking to phone my boss to pick me up saw from 50 yards a woman dash out of the phone box into a waiting taxi and gone got to the phone box bright red box they are in UK old style rack of directories on top of them a big brown envelope, made my brief call then just then decided to look at what was in the envelope "Cash" and lots of it asked a local waiting to use the phone "the nearest police station " oh its 5 minutes walk that way so that's where I went the police man inside /may i help you told him of the woman and that there was cash in the brown envelope / how much I told him no idea so both the policeman and I counted the money in all 4,000 pound in bahts 170,000 about now this happen years ago now gave the police my home address etc my boss was waiting at the phone box a bit upset but dropped me home within two hours an man and a woman were ring the door bell she saw my dad then saw me gave me a big hug the man explained she had draw money from their bank phoned him that she was on her way left that money in the phone box .

my dad said so this is a thank you visit then for him returning the money via the local police station within minutes of you forgetting it?? her husband produced an envelope and past it to me thanks lad very much they left when I looked 400 pounds inside that's 10% of the total I put that money with my savings and paid for my first horse powered vehicle she stood 15.2 hands and she was 8 yrs old hunter wonderful friend for 8 yrs thanks in part to the phone box that's 48 yrs ago now how time flys aye

• Like 2

You will benefit in many ways if as the quote says"An unexpected gift at an unexpected time" so drop in with a gift never mind a day or to after her kindness to you its 100% the thought that counts and by now she has dismissed out of her mind any thank you in fact she will be surprised beyond words if you do act with a "gift of kindness"now after a few days cheers

• Like 1

Not true... A Bangkok taxi driver came all the way around a large block to return a passport and $2,000 I left in the backseat...

Is someone out there going to counter now that he probably didn't realise that hundred dollar bills were worth money?

He was just an honest guy - wasn't his money, so he gave it back. I'd fancy my chances of getting my money back more here than in London...

• Like 1

My (now ex-) wife left her bag containing tickets, money (no credit cards then), camera, passports, everything in a grubby cafe in Athens around 1972. Went back two hours later and it was there waiting for us. REestores your faith in human nature.

...my experience was quite the opposite..

...the pharmacy counter at Foodland...

...wallet and bills and coins on the side...all in my pocket...

....reach in and pull out the wallet.........I hear change hit the floor...but continue with my purchase...

...I heard some faint scrambling and rustling around me, but thought nothing of it.....

...after I finished paying I saw a family behind me....hurrying away....out the door...

....it turns out I dropped around 500-600 baht...clearly mine...out of my pocket...and those scavengers helped themselves to it....

(As for the cIerk..I would bring her some small gift or token of appreciation next time around...nothing fancy...just a 'thank you' gesture...)

I think there have been plenty of other stories that would contradict your negative over generilastion.

No everyone is dishonest..i wonder what would you do if you found $650, i think we know the answer...bah.gif

Gone back to the shop and given her a huge thanks and a huge smile. Found the manager and made sure he/she knows that you appreciate what the staff member did as well.

And if you haven't done that yet then I suggest you go and do it as soon as you can. Maybe take her a little gift as well, even just a good luck flower or something - not as a reward for her honesty, but as an expression of your gratitude.

+1

650 baht you could have lost,the kid gave it back to you.I would have told the manager/owner that I thought he had a great employee then gone to her and given her 200 baht

Absolutely agree, even a big thank you and a 100 baht would have still been a nice way to show appreciation.

That`s what I would have done.

Left international airport on MRT. Changed at Phaya Thai station and left my laptop there by mistake. Realised after boarded skytrain. Thought to myself "Thats gone". Two weeks later had a call from Phaya Thai that they had my laptop. I had my email address on a decal on my laptop and after a week or so since some one cme to collect it they checked. Found my email address and emailed me to come and pick it up. Therefore dont paint all Thai people as dishonest just because a small percentage are. Sure they love money but this doesnt make the majority dishonest. To all you sour and bitter folks, that obviously have such a poor opinion of the thais, why dont you just pack up and go back to the holes you crawled from. If it is so bad here then no one is stopping you getting back on a plane and going to "GREENER PASTURES". Good luck and good riddance. So sick of you negative miserable people. Open your eyes and see the beautiful things here that first attracted you.

• Like 1

Paid expenses of over 50k THB to a co worker who then promptly dropped it, at a bar on Koh Tao.Neither of us noticed till next day when a burmese worker ,came running after us to return it.

It was just wrapped in elastic bands nothing else.

Big smiles and Big reward given

• Like 1

Paid expenses of over 50k THB to a co worker who then promptly dropped it, at a bar on Koh Tao.Neither of us noticed till next day when a burmese worker ,came running after us to return it.

It was just wrapped in elastic bands nothing else.

Big smiles and Big reward given

Marvelous to hear stories like this.

There is still hope for mankind yet.

Gone back to the shop and given her a huge thanks and a huge smile. Found the manager and made sure he/she knows that you appreciate what the staff member did as well.

And if you haven't done that yet then I suggest you go and do it as soon as you can. Maybe take her a little gift as well, even just a good luck flower or something - not as a reward for her honesty, but as an expression of your gratitude.

i suspect this would have humiliated her and made her reconsider ever chasing someone down again.

a thank you on the spot would suffice, this is not an isolated incident, this happens all the time.

maybe thank her properly next time you are in the shop, or, if you must, a small gift.

in her place i would find a cash reward insulting, especially since the original sum returned was so low, any reward worth giving would have been overkill

Candypants is right. This isn't that uncommon at all, so no need to make a bigger deal of it than it is.

A big sincere "Thanks!" and a token gift (small box of chocolates with a ribbon—presentation shows your true appreciation) as an added gesture.

T