Let's Be Honest - It Was *never* The Temples ....

The OP is correct, it was never the temples. It was the beaches originally and then that changed to exploring in a completely different environment and culture. The women are interesting, but so are the children. They just love my hair. What I've fallen in love with is riding my motorbike in Thai traffic. It's like a real live video game but for keeps. It certainly keeps all my senses in high alert. Once you've seen some of the many temples it becomes ho-hum.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temples are just churches for Asians. No it never was about them. It was about cheap good fun by the bucket load.

So what?

Buddhist temples are not in amy way shape or form utilized as Christian churches. I guess in some lame culturally retarded way you could ague simply that they are both 'houses of worship". Similaritirs end there. But if they did not, Id be visting old churces of Europe, Britain as well.

For most of humanities existance te sole conduit for art and creativity was directed toward religion. For many cultures to this day, it still remains the case.

But I understand. There is a huge contingent of Neanderthal farang in Thailand.

Food

Grog

Wenches

Food

Grog

Wenches

Not just 'farang'.

I'd say you've just listed the 3 favourite things of most males in the Kingdom...and beyond...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I don't get the temple thing at all. If you are no buddhist, why visit? It is just <deleted> hot, full of locals milling about and whiteys look as out of place as a pervert in a nunnery

Art, history, culture. The uniqueness that every older temple is. The differences between temples of different religions and often special uniqueness of each temple. Temples often built in most beautiful locations of the country. The wealth or poverty of a temple in its religios artifacts. Objects of veneration. Ability to bring you as a non practitioner more closely to understand the nation and Buddhism (Hinduism, Jainism) in a practical context.

Makes a great hike, picnic, photo shoot. Great place to bring a date.

The beauty and simplicty of the message of the Lord Buddha writ large.

Now, if you are speaking of the standard Thai temple seen throughout Thailand, southern Cambodia and South and Central Lao, I might be inclined to agree. Not worth a look. But since there was no distinction made, there is none made in your mind as well.

I don't get the temple thing at all. If you are no buddhist, why visit? It is just <deleted> hot, full of locals milling about and whiteys look as out of place as a pervert in a nunnery

Art, history, culture. The uniqueness that every older temple is. The differences between temples of different religions and often special uniqueness of each temple. Temples often built in most beautiful locations of the country. The wealth or poverty of a temple in its religios artifacts. Objects of veneration. Ability to bring you as a non practitioner more closely to understand the nation and Buddhism (Hinduism, Jainism) in a practical context.

Now, if you are speaking of the standard Thai temple seen throughout Thailand, southern Cambodia and South and Central Lao, I might be inclined to agree. Not worth a look. But since there was no distinction made, there is none made in your mind as well.

I'd rather have a beer and a curry

I'd rather have a beer and a curry

Thai or Indian?

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The OP is correct, it was never the temples. It was the beaches originally and then that changed to exploring in a completely different environment and culture. The women are interesting, but so are the children. They just love my hair. What I've fallen in love with is riding my motorbike in Thai traffic. It's like a real live video game but for keeps. It certainly keeps all my senses in high alert. Once you've seen some of the many temples it becomes ho-hum.

Word has it that there are an increasing number of Farang women coming to Thailand to explore their sexuality - I briefly considered posting that the 'ladies only' bar may be a niche market waiting to be explored but ten minutes on Google confirmed my suspicion that lesbian bars come and go - BKK and Pattaya alike - with considerably rapidity. You may not have come for the women, or even the cheap booze (its still cheap outside central BKK, IMO), but others do. Still cant see the attraction of Farang beer bars for any woman who doesn't have to be there by virtue of employment, but that's probably best left to another thread.

(fwiw, if lesbian bars were seen as profitable, you can guarantee that there would be one on every corner, cookie-cutter style. Gotta love that entrepreneurial Thai spirit ;) )

"if lesbian bars were seen as profitable"

A little appreciated

But true fact

Is that opening one's own temple can be extremely lucrative

Why I recall many a millionaire where I come from who make a nice living

And drive around in Benz autos, all day long

Who have profited handsomely from temples and donations.

This is a well known fact where I come from

And is not frowned upon

But encouraged.

Yes, life is easy when one opens his own temple.

Maybe one of the members should consider getting into temples

Rather than organizing bus tours.

Just a thought

Someone should start a topic about this.

But I am through with being ridiculed and insulted here

For starting "topics"

Edited by OldChinaHam

Food

Grog

Wenches

Not just 'farang'.

>>

Food

Grog

Wenches

Not just 'farang'.

I'd say you've just listed the 3 favourite things of most males in the Kingdom...and beyond...

So true! Isn't every country the same???

Ok, some countries food is s@@t, but the women are hot,

some countries food is spicy but women are mild,

yet some countries (Thailand) have the best of both worlds!

Edited by Bikkii

Usually the guys here for the women are making up for lost time.

Jus sayin'

Thai's hate Indian (curries).

Given that the 'average' male reportedly spends an inordinate amount of time thinking about sex (as a percentage of our waking hours), I expect that most of us are 'making up for lost time'. As for Thais supposedly hating Indian curries, how is that in any way relevant when the important thing is that I dont plan to buy any Indian curries for Thai people. Nor gold bracelets, blocks of land, condos or taxi rides to Swampy : just sayin' ......

• Like 1

Hard to answer someone who has made up everyones mind for them based on your own reasons for going.

But ya gotta admit that the seafood is cheaper here, particularly if you are partial to oyster.

Or the bearded clam...whistling.gif

Hard to answer someone who has made up everyones mind for them based on your own reasons for going.

But ya gotta admit that the seafood is cheaper here, particularly if you are partial to oyster.
Or the bearded clam...Posted Image

But you gotta lookout for the crabs. :(

Given that the 'average' male reportedly spends an inordinate amount of time thinking about sex (as a percentage of our waking hours), I expect that most of us are 'making up for lost time'.

I can remember being wheeled into the emrgency room back in the USA in my younger days. I was scared to death, but still desperately checking out the nurse. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I actually pity the sad old sex tourists who honestly can't think of a better reason to be in Thailand than for a few ageing bargirls telling them they are 'Hansum' men!

Even more pitiful is these posts showing how much in denial they are and trying to rope everyone else into their sordid little world.I see the usual Scottish contingent are out in force as usual,heartily agreeing that we all must be here as dirty old mongers like them!

I just thank the Lord that I really have more self-respect and less self-loathing than these types of greasy old lechers,who obviously know how distasteful they are otherwise they wouldn't waste everybody's time with creepy threads like this!

"CM is a backwater. Bangkok is King and Phuket his queen. The rest just fall in behind."

Obviously the views of a sex tourist. Chiang Mai has everything civilized folk could ever

want -- especially, friendly people. Even most of the tuk-tuk drivers are friendly.

What Chang Mai lacks -- the gridlock traffic, the choking fumes, the in-your-face sex

trade, and the droves of overweight, unwashed, bleary-eyed geezers -- are the very

The views of the sex tourist. .

reason why more and more discerning folks are flocking to Chiang Mai.

Last time I was in Chiang Mai the traffic and air quality was abysmal...far worse than Bangkok...

You sir are a fool. One, I have been living and traveling in Asia for twenty years. That undoubtedly makes me not a tourist. As for being here for sex, I have not been in any of those dumb ass bars for five years and the five years befire that was just to drink the cheap beer. I have not been to Nana in ten years and SC and PP for 15. I have never paid a barfine in a gogo and have paid about a dozen in my life. Those were to get some aquaintances out of the bar so they could come to our beach parties

Chaing Mai is bs. It is totally overrated place to visit and has huge issues for tourist but the biggest is ...its boring! I asked my WIFE yesterday (maybe I am wrong on this) yesterday she said she likes Chaing Rai more as well as outside Kanchanaburi and MaeHongSon (right after monsoon) better. We have talked about living all over the world and Thailand. She has never brought up.CM.

We have been together for four years and regularly travel all over Thailand, Asia and the US. She has never expressed the slightest interest to go to CM.

Like much of Thailand, CM was allowed to develop uncontrollably and the price was grave. Fires, air pillution often as bad or worse than bkk, heat, drought, floods but most of all nothing to do. Finally, when you need something electronics fixed, some real medical treatment its bkk.

As for the sex trade in your face, that is utter rubbish. BKK flesh peddling is quite discreet. In fact, I recall twenty years ago somewhere in CM a main street with girlie beer bars. We don't have that here! Then you have the hiv issue up north, cant get away from that (obviously goes with sleazy sex).

You cant defend the indefensible. Call the truth a lie to avoid confronting it as fact.

You ad hominem attack on me, calling me a sex tourist is misplaced and out of line. If I was I ciuld not care less, but I am not. I never had a need to buy much sex in my life. Lucky me.

Edited by bangkokburning

"Chaing Mai is bs. It is totally overrated place to visit and has huge issues for tourist but the biggest is ...its boring!"

I like boring.

And anyway, the things I enjoy doing most can be done in Chiang Mai, and are better suited to Chiang Mai. The only thing lacking is a beautiful beach and higher mountains, and the ocean. In Chiang Mai, it is difficult to not be able to see the ocean everyday.

I actually pity the sad old sex tourists who honestly can't think of a better reason to be in Thailand than for a few ageing bargirls telling them they are 'Hansum' men!

Even more pitiful is these posts showing how much in denial they are and trying to rope everyone else into their sordid little world.I see the usual Scottish contingent are out in force as usual,heartily agreeing that we all must be here as dirty old mongers like them!

I just thank the Lord that I really have more self-respect and less self-loathing than these types of greasy old lechers,who obviously know how distasteful they are otherwise they wouldn't waste everybody's time with creepy threads like this!

I quite agree. If a person is living here because its cheap (living expenses and sex). No matter what sort of financial padding, it must be a sad life. I think many, many go back home. The finally figure out the game and pack their kit and go. We never read about them, they have no need for TV any more.

Many years ago I started using Pattaya as a base. Costs of bkk went sky high and Pattaya just got cheaper. Was only 1.5hrs from airport, no traffic - it wasnt a special place, but it was a good cheap base. Pattaya has so, so many ugly problems now, where to start.

If living in Cambodia did not give me an education, Pattaya did. I got to know a lot of women working in the bars on a personal level. Many became friends with benefits. I learned thru them the game in its entirity. What they did not tell me, I could clean from my trips out to beer bars and gogos. The guys looking for a straight up deal and play it that way are few to none. These guys go.to these bars to be wanted - and the women play to this. Its really sad.

Aftervthe British invasion a lot changed. The hard, sex starved guys really put these women through the ringer. They became harder.To a trained eye and an expat, it was always about money - but after 03+, the vibe changed. At this time, younger bad girls were coming out of Issan. They were arriving in Pattaya already with ugly tatoos and smoking. Many with drugs problems and sime with hiv. The young ones always popular with the young guys, they paid but also were quite ugly to many of these women.

The old birds were always a huge fixture in the beer bars and not uncommon to find attractive 35yos still grinding it out in agogo.

Now obviously thousands of guys live here and ez sex is sadly a big part of this. But the reality has been forvthe newbies, they are lured here for want of the pretty girls in photos on the Internet, but end up sleeping with a soft mother of two from Buriram.

Sex at 50+ should not be a primary driver in your life. If it is I personally tbink something a bit off. I chalk it up to availability and making up for lost time.

I made a statement earlier about ones life being food, beer and women. This is truly the case of most here. People without interests, activities (no, not work).It's just a very shallow, one dimensional existence.

Personally, I have no problem with people paying for it. None. It's when a persons entire existence is bound up in a game and industry I kniw all to well serves no one well in the end.

Almost every STI now days is untreatable. I don't fancy being a walking bag of communicable disease.

I'm not moralizing. It's just a new era.

"CM is a backwater. Bangkok is King and Phuket his queen. The rest just fall in behind."

Obviously the views of a sex tourist. Chiang Mai has everything civilized folk could ever

want -- especially, friendly people. Even most of the tuk-tuk drivers are friendly.

What Chang Mai lacks -- the gridlock traffic, the choking fumes, the in-your-face sex

trade, and the droves of overweight, unwashed, bleary-eyed geezers -- are the very

The views of the sex tourist. .

reason why more and more discerning folks are flocking to Chiang Mai.

Last time I was in Chiang Mai the traffic and air quality was abysmal...far worse than Bangkok...

You sir are a fool. One, I have been living and traveling in Asia for twenty years. That undoubtedly makes me not a tourist. As for being here for sex, I have not been in any of those dumb ass bars for five years and the five years befire that was just to drink the cheap beer. I have not been to Nana in ten years and SC and PP for 15. I have never paid a barfine in a gogo and have paid about a dozen in my life. Those were to get some aquaintances out of the bar so they could come to our beach parties

Chaing Mai is bs. It is totally overrated place to visit and has huge issues for tourist but the biggest is ...its boring! I asked my WIFE yesterday (maybe I am wrong on this) yesterday she said she likes Chaing Rai more as well as outside Kanchanaburi and MaeHongSon (right after monsoon) better. We have talked about living all over the world and Thailand. She has never brought up.CM.

We have been together for four years and regularly travel all over Thailand, Asia and the US. She has never expressed the slightest interest to go to CM.

Like much of Thailand, CM was allowed to develop uncontrollably and the price was grave. Fires, air pillution often as bad or worse than bkk, heat, drought, floods but most of all nothing to do. Finally, when you need something electronics fixed, some real medical treatment its bkk.

As for the sex trade in your face, that is utter rubbish. BKK flesh peddling is quite discreet. In fact, I recall twenty years ago somewhere in CM a main street with girlie beer bars. We don't have that here! Then you have the hiv issue up north, cant get away from that (obviously goes with sleazy sex).

You cant defend the indefensible. Call the truth a lie to avoid confronting it as fact.

You ad hominem attack on me, calling me a sex tourist is misplaced and out of line. If I was I ciuld not care less, but I am not. I never had a need to buy much sex in my life. Lucky me.

Alas, we are probably all fools, but you, sir, are a bigger fool. Like so many pseudo-experts

on TV, you make broad sweeping comments on things you know nothing about. You know

nothing about Chiang Mai, so you ask your wife. Then you tell us "Chiang Mai is bs."

What a load of doodoo. If you live somewhere at least 5-10 years you may learn enough

about it to offer useful comments. Otherwise, you merely reveal your narrow mind.

For your information I was in Bangkok over 50 years ago, so you'd probably do better

blowing your smoke somewhere else.

I quite agree. If a person is living here because its cheap (living expenses and sex). No matter what sort of financial padding, it must be a sad life. I think many, many go back home. The finally figure out the game and pack their kit and go. We never read about them, they have no need for TV any more.

Many years ago I started using Pattaya as a base. Costs of bkk went sky high and Pattaya just got cheaper. Was only 1.5hrs from airport, no traffic - it wasnt a special place, but it was a good cheap base. Pattaya has so, so many ugly problems now, where to start.

If living in Cambodia did not give me an education, Pattaya did. I got to know a lot of women working in the bars on a personal level. Many became friends with benefits. I learned thru them the game in its entirity. What they did not tell me, I could clean from my trips out to beer bars and gogos. The guys looking for a straight up deal and play it that way are few to none. These guys go.to these bars to be wanted - and the women play to this. Its really sad.

Aftervthe British invasion a lot changed. The hard, sex starved guys really put these women through the ringer. They became harder.To a trained eye and an expat, it was always about money - but after 03+, the vibe changed. At this time, younger bad girls were coming out of Issan. They were arriving in Pattaya already with ugly tatoos and smoking. Many with drugs problems and sime with hiv. The young ones always popular with the young guys, they paid but also were quite ugly to many of these women.

The old birds were always a huge fixture in the beer bars and not uncommon to find attractive 35yos still grinding it out in agogo.

Now obviously thousands of guys live here and ez sex is sadly a big part of this. But the reality has been forvthe newbies, they are lured here for want of the pretty girls in photos on the Internet, but end up sleeping with a soft mother of two from Buriram.

Sex at 50+ should not be a primary driver in your life. If it is I personally tbink something a bit off. I chalk it up to availability and making up for lost time.

I made a statement earlier about ones life being food, beer and women. This is truly the case of most here. People without interests, activities (no, not work).It's just a very shallow, one dimensional existence.

Personally, I have no problem with people paying for it. None. It's when a persons entire existence is bound up in a game and industry I kniw all to well serves no one well in the end.

Almost every STI now days is untreatable. I don't fancy being a walking bag of communicable disease.

I'm not moralizing. It's just a new era.

Hmm... did somebody die and appoint you the judge of all men?

This post surely deserves an honorable mention for one of the

most crass TV diatribes posts ever.