Updated Kr 2 Told Not Required

Did my first extension based on marriage today, at Divison 1 Bangkok

All forms correct, passbook updated, letter from bank as well ect ect. Asked why we were submitting an updated KR 2, as it wasn't necessary, original is fine!!!

I would place money on this, if hadn't of had an updated would of been told to go get one. My wile is now saying told you not needed......

Luckily for me the local one stop office is only a 10 min walk away from home, and it only cost 10 thb, so the scalding should only last a week or two.

Please scan or photo the info that shows your marriage is currently active. A checkbox, printed date, a statement...whatever.

My hunch is the kr2 electronic looks nothing like the original, it is not actually your kr2 but rather...your info data entered into computer form. Same info - but minus the essential signatures at best. But somehow amended to show current marital.status.

I'm hoping somehow its just a copy of the original in every way but the seals, chops and dates current. Meaning its just all bs. That there is no "updated status".

How is it updated?

What is added, amended?

Edited by bangkokburning

Please scan or photo the info that shows your marriage is currently active. A checkbox, printed date, a statement...whatever.

My hunch is the kr2 electronic looks nothing like the original, it is not actually your kr2 but rather...your info data entered into computer form. Same info - but minus the essential signatures at best. But somehow amended to show current marital.status.

I'm hoping somehow its just a copy of the original in every way but the seals, chops and dates current. Meaning its just all bs. That there is no "updated status".

How is it updated?

What is added, amended?

You get a new date, stamped and signed.

Well, bangkokburning, as you said all the update is the same form as original, no signatures, or fancy seals. Just the electronic stored version.

We got one as others have had been told to get it to apply, it was only 10 thb. And is signed stamped and dated by the local office.

But what makes it updated?

I am thinking it is simply a standard computer printout that is the same the day after you married and the day after you divorced!

The only thing is that is has a new date stamp. Nothing on the KR form states - these persons ate currently married.

This excercise then is a TOTAL pantload.

Nothing is "updated" you are simply given the same old form, with new dates stamped on it.

If this is true, it is total incompetence. The only caveat would be if they would not give you the form if you had been divorced. The simplest way they could do.this is as part of the divorce paperwork, nullify the form and not provide it if requested.

But I am very much suspecting this form.doesnt change and sending you for a "new" one is quite suspect unless and only kr2 are not provided to divorcees. If you can get a copy after divorce (and you should be able to, even if it is stammped null and void).

What makes it updated, nothing at all, it proves you are still married, yes of course if you are divorced your (ex) wife can't get it, so my wife tells me.

It would a lovely place if all government computers were linked, walk in hand over passport and wife's ID and say extension on marriage please, tap tap on the keyboard, and then the answer back is certainly sir that's all ok that will be 1,900 thb, please come back in 30 days.

I agree the whole thing is rubbish, but having had experience of bringing my wife in to the UK last year, the UKBA, asked for a lot more than Thai immigration do.

But what the hell, some want some don't, but as I said had I not had this, piece of information, sure is eggs is eggs they would of wanted it.

As DigitalChromakey and Dave's wife believes but does not know with any certainty is if a married person (or any other person, is it not a public record?). Has the ability to get a "new" kr2 simply by asking for it.

If they would not issue to public or divorcees, in the case of the latter, I would think the form must be deleted or marked somehow so that it would not be issued. As we know, Thailand is not very plugged in if they did not kill off the kr2 upon divorce, it would live on and any bureaucrat would not be the wiser.

I find this examination of the bureaucracy quite interesting.

If a person can.get a kr2 after divorce, then it truly goes examplifies the meaningless of the excercise.

In its essence then, the form does not change. The act and your ability to obtain the form is what (appears to) validate the marriage.

In the end, it is quite sad that the bureaucrat with all your paperwork and you being burdened by jail and expulsion, would lie on a visa application - prize, to stay one year with reporting in "the Land o Smiles". Not to mention that merely after your divorce your marriage is nullified regardless.

This country needs the rule of law in the worst way. Baring that, guidelines might work. Baring that perhaps they can simply go with a flow chart.

As DigitalChromakey and Dave's wife believes but does not know with any certainty is if a married person (or any other person, is it not a public record?). Has the ability to get a "new" kr2 simply by asking for it.

Au Contraire, as a married person you can definitely go to Amphoe and ask for a copy of your KR2 , you need to produce ID (Passport/ID Card) and pay, I think, 20 THB for a signed, freshly red stamped/sealed and dated copy of the KR2.

There is a national data base of Thai ID cards including marital status, so I would personally be astounded if one could legally get an Amphoe validated copy of the KR2 showing one is legally married when that same marriage has been legally annulled.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Yes, but this KR2 does not state in any way that you are currently married. That is my point!

It is merely a record of fact, in a ledger that two persons were married at this time on this date.

This is what I find so amusing. There is no "updated" form.

It is an errand of fools. Hunting snipe.

Unless there is some safeguard preventing the release of the document - ie marriage current database or as I stated, nullifying document then updated document is a total joke (as opposed to the current half joke it is now).

To nullify the document, to disallow its release there must be some trigger (manual) that bureaucrats do on divorce that disallows the release.

I just really, really want to know if divorcees have access to.the record (they should) and if so, is it perhaps stamped DIVORCED.

An industry of mindless papershufflers supporting one another at our expense and prace of mind.

Although have not gone through the process believe when you divorce entry of that and any agreements on property split is entered into the ledger at that point as an official legal document so would indicate current status as of the date of issue.

Lopburi -my wife glanced at the kr2 and told me there is nothing related to either divorce or current status.

"The ledger" is presumably the general ledger or book where all sorts of info is stored. Presume there are loads of other forms, Im sure divorce has its own form - but my wife saw notbing on the form that would be an option of divorce or nullification of marriage.

Thanks LiteBeer- no idea what they are doing. Certainly is not policy, like so many other whims.

I'm not at all convinced there can even be changes made to the KR2 other than corrections or updates to information prior.

So when the boss man asks you to drive 50km for an update, you can at least smile and know the truth.

But if she is still your wife it would not have divorce information - believe that is added to close the entry if it happens. But as said in days past they did not even provide a copy when registering marriage.

If you were to get divorced you would not get a Kor Ror 2 because you are no longer married.

I think the original Kor Ror 2 is a copy of the one that they file away with application, affirmation of permit to marry and etc.

The computer generated one is not going to be the same exact one you have.

I never had one until last year because we were not given a copy. That was over 11 years ago though.

Edited by ubonjoe

If they would not issue to public or divorcees, in the case of the latter, I would think the form must be deleted or marked somehow so that it would not be issued. As we know, Thailand is not very plugged in if they did not kill off the kr2 upon divorce, it would live on and any bureaucrat would not be the wiser.

I find this examination of the bureaucracy quite interesting.

If a person can.get a kr2 after divorce, then it truly goes examplifies the meaningless of the excercise.

In its essence then, the form does not change. The act and your ability to obtain the form is what (appears to) validate the marriage.

In the end, it is quite sad that the bureaucrat with all your paperwork and you being burdened by jail and expulsion, would lie on a visa application - prize, to stay one year with reporting in "the Land o Smiles". Not to mention that merely after your divorce your marriage is nullified regardless.

This country needs the rule of law in the worst way. Baring that, guidelines might work. Baring that perhaps they can simply go with a flow chart.

Sometimes Thais do like to make things complicated. sometime foreigners like to think things are more complicated than they really are here and then there are those who think that some Thai bureaucrats are 'playing' us foreigners for what ever reason.

The KR2 printout is not an original copy but is a print out with the couple's ID details, the date of the original marriage, details of the individuals and witnesses present, it also has the actual date of printing, which is then officially stamped by Amphoe .

I have been alone with my passport into Amphoe and asked for a copy of my KR 2, paid and then received said item; what is interesting is that I have been married before here in Thailand, they didn't ask for my wife's name, ID Card or a copy of our marriage certificate and they certainly didn't give me a copy of my old KR2.

For reference, I was married and divorced the first time, plus married the second time, in the same town/Amphoe, all while holding the same passport.