Finding A Used Or Cheap Computer

pingpingping

I went looking at IT city around chang puak in hopes of getting a used or cheap laptop or desktop computer and was pretty disapointed with what was available for the prices. All the used computers were waaaay overpriced compared to new ones. And even the desktops weren't particularly discounted compared to the laptops. I was hoping to find something for business use that is reliable. Wanted to spend less than 5000 baht, but after surveying the stores that seems unlikely - hard to believe I can't get a decent cheap computer in Asia?!?! I know there are heavy taxes, but thought the used ones would be heavily discounted. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a place? Perhaps any small stores? Will continue to shop around, but would appreciate any advice on places to check out.

I've seen desktops (new), local brands, for as little as 8k. I don't know if they're any good though. I suppose they are adequate for basic tasks. Try IT City or many of the other shops in Prantip. Depending on your tasks, you might not need the latest whiz-bang model. T

Edited by Thakkar

Thanks! Ya, i dont care about branded computers. For a pc they just put a bunch of parts together, could be better or worse than a brand. I thought those types could be cheap.

Not looking for a whiz bang computer. I saw an acer at IT city for around 10,000. Couldnt find any reviews for it though. Wondering about the authenticity of what's being sold.

A Thai lady friend recommends checking the plaza building in chang kran road. I know nothing about the place, but probably worth a look since she is quite astute, although perhaps not overly knowledgeable about computers.

Tell me you are joking. You want a computer for 5K THB??? My desktop computer which is nothing special and is 6 years old, cost 17,000 Baht at Icon Plaza 6 years ago. The g/f's 17 year old cousin just bought a new desktop computer. It cost her 29,000 Baht. You want "...something for business use that is reliable..." for 5K THB??? LOL 55555laugh.pngcheesy.gif

sounds like they saw you coming.

Don't think so. I shopped around very carefully.

Awesome! That facebook group looks good.

Just went to pantip and saw a few that looked interesting. Nothing really less than 10,000 for a laptop though. The difficult part is that I want to look online for reviews but cant even find these models listed online!!

Tell me you are joking. You want a computer for 5K THB??? My desktop computer which is nothing special and is 6 years old, cost 17,000 Baht at Icon Plaza 6 years ago. The g/f's 17 year old cousin just bought a new desktop computer. It cost her 29,000 Baht. You want "...something for business use that is reliable..." for 5K THB??? LOL 55555laugh.pngcheesy.gif

You're the joker chuckles.

There are plenty of laptops for 5K THB that will be fine for what you need. Of course they will be a few years old and not as fast and not have all the bells and whistles that the latest ones do. You'll be able to do word processing, use the Internet, it will have wi-fi, maybe a dvd drive. Go to Pantip Plaza, you might find what you're looking for. There's also a small shop on the moat road right before you get to CM Gate that has four or five used laptops sitting in the window for 5K or less.

There are plenty of laptops for 5K THB that will be fine for what you need. Of course they will be a few years old and not as fast and not have all the bells and whistles that the latest ones do. You'll be able to do word processing, use the Internet, it will have wi-fi, maybe a dvd drive. Go to Pantip Plaza, you might find what you're looking for. There's also a small shop on the moat road right before you get to CM Gate that has four or five used laptops sitting in the window for 5K or less.

My wife bought a brand new Samsung in Phichit for 7000Baht.

Assemble your own desktop PC.

A NEW one you can build by yourself, can be done under 8,800 baht with an LCD.

M/B with VGA: 1900 Baht
CPU: 1300 Baht (AMD A4 dual core)
Ram 4GB: 800 Baht

Case with Power supply: 800 baht

Hard Disk 320GB: 1500 Baht

KB/Mouse set: 300 Baht

Cheap LCD: 1600 Bah

Then Load windows 7 on it. or better, Ubuntu Linux 12.04

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the local market in CM but

I'm not familiar with the local market for computers in CM but without wishing to be insulting, I think that wherever you are in Thailand you should be able to find a reasonably late model desktop for less than 10,000. Your best bet might be to find one privately, either on an online forum or a noticeboard somewhere around town. The usual caution should of course be followed and be prepared to do some hard bargaining. Same applies if you opt to buy second hand from a dealer - they will inevitably overprice at first and may be unwilling to negotiate, so be prepared to walk away a few times. But you definitely should not be paying 20-30k for second hand.

Why buy a "branded" desktop? Probably the same components as the locally put together jobbies.

I've had much better reliability out of branded machines. Plus the other benefit of a branded is that you've got an overall warranty on the machine... i think in this life you get what you pay for and it doesn't pay to skimp when buying electronics...

My friend bought a new Dell with average specs but good enough for her from Pantip Plaza for 12K. Does the job. I would avoid second hand unless refurbished and with a warranty.

The 23K Asus I bought from goodspeed has already had two major issues requiring warranty (which they took care of fast and efficiently) one was a motherboard replacement which would have been pricey without the warranty. The other was a screen issue which needed a whole new screen put in.

Not only that you don't know what people have been doing on second hand computers, overclocking or whatever stuff that wears down the life of the computer.

Why buy a "branded" desktop? Probably the same components as the locally put together jobbies.

I've had much better reliability out of branded machines. Plus the other benefit of a branded is that you've got an overall warranty on the machine... i think in this life you get what you pay for and it doesn't pay to skimp when buying electronics...

Don't the individual components have warranties? Are warranties provided by the shops that put together desktop packages?

I can only think of one use for an old PC

Only one?!! I could write a "101 Uses for an old computer" coffee table book. ACtually ... I just might do so. I steal yours as number 1.

1. Beer dispenser

2. Boat anchor

3. Door stop

4................. Wait for the book.

smile.png

Edited by Fullstop