Finding A Used Or Cheap Computer

pingpingping

Tell me you are joking. You want a computer for 5K THB??? My desktop computer which is nothing special and is 6 years old, cost 17,000 Baht at Icon Plaza 6 years ago. The g/f's 17 year old cousin just bought a new desktop computer. It cost her 29,000 Baht. You want "...something for business use that is reliable..." for 5K THB??? LOL 55555laugh.pngcheesy.gif

Yeah? Then try selling your 6 year old computer for 5K today.

Try ZEER Rangsit. Dozens of PC;s Laptops etc. I have bought 2 for home use - neither cost over B4,000 - both are HP models with Flat screen monitor/keyboard/mouse/DVD rewriter etc. 50Gb HDD + 1mb Ram - not brilliant - but OK for general use - with 3 month "warranty" Both have been trouble free and I think they are good value for money. But, - they DON't do delivery!

Awesome! That facebook group looks good.

Just went to pantip and saw a few that looked interesting. Nothing really less than 10,000 for a laptop though. The difficult part is that I want to look online for reviews but cant even find these models listed online!!

Thus the problem with unbranded computers ... they're very seldom reviewed.

The higher up you go in Pantip the cheaper the prices. 3 floors up in the back near the washrooms.

"Pssst! Wanna buy a cheap PC? Third cubicle on the left... no, the vacant one next to the urinal."

Why buy a "branded" desktop? Probably the same components as the locally put together jobbies.

I've had much better reliability out of branded machines. Plus the other benefit of a branded is that you've got an overall warranty on the machine... i think in this life you get what you pay for and it doesn't pay to skimp when buying electronics...

Don't the individual components have warranties? Are warranties provided by the shops that put together desktop packages?

It depends on the shop. I've taken computers back to a shop that built it in Pantip years after I bought it and they fixed it for free (admittedly it didn't need anything expensive...). Where branded goods only have a one year warranty.

Also had issues with an Acer desktop (daughters) where it was overheating and I simply replaced the processor fan with a decent one when I saw the puny one inside the box.

I just sold my old desktop which had a Pentium 4, 4GB RAM, 1GB Video Radeon card, ASUS MB 775chip set, with 2 DVD RW, 400W power supply (less the hard drives) to a computer store at Paradise Park for 1,500 baht.

Why buy a "branded" desktop? Probably the same components as the locally put together jobbies.

I've had much better reliability out of branded machines. Plus the other benefit of a branded is that you've got an overall warranty on the machine... i think in this life you get what you pay for and it doesn't pay to skimp when buying electronics...

There's something to be said for SVOA. A bit cheaper than international brands, some models come with branded components (e.g. Gigaybte M/B), no proprietary power supplies etc., and three year warranty instead of one. IT City at the airport plaza can also repair them under warranty without having to send back to Bangkok..

I needed a good laptop and wasn't sure what to spend. I went with MSI, since the only store I could find was in Airport Plaza. My reasoning is that "less supply, higher quality and not super mass produced". Who knows......anyhow, I spent 22k and it worked out great. Not one problem after 5 months. Yes, they put on counterfeit software which expired, but I navigated that nicely.

Anyhow.....I looked at 5-10k machines. I would recommend apple actually, if you can find one, since a used apple is likely more dependable than a new (place name here). After apple, I would go with Samsung. but you really have to know specs.

as my dad used to say, 'better to spend 20k on a nice computer and use it for years and enjoy it....versus buying two computers for 10k that break and you hate using them" ok, he didn't say that...but you get the point.

-snip-

as my dad used to say, 'better to spend 20k on a nice computer and use it for years and enjoy it....versus buying two computers for 10k that break and you hate using them" ok, he didn't say that...but you get the point.

Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager and my dad said to me, "Son, careful what information you put up on Facebook; it could come back to bite you in the ass."

And I said, "What the heck is Facebook? Oh no, have you been time-traveling again, <deleted>, dad."

Thoroughly confused, he asked, "What the <deleted> is <deleted>?"

Sheepishly, I admitted that I had been time-traveling as well.

Anyway, here's a scoop. I've learned from all my time-traveling that computers will get cheaper and faster. I know, hard to believe, but true. So if you wait a couple of years, you could get a super fast, whiz-bang computer for 5k baht. You could get one now for that price, but it will be very basic.

T