Still Buy An Old Big-Bike, But Do Be Ultra Careful

IDL

I went to pattaya dlt for a vin check last week. They had a blacklight, they felt to see if the numbers had been rewelded they checked for twenty minutes three guys no less. They finally said all was original. The paper work is now at chonburi.

can you pm me the name of the shop? curious if its the one i am dealing with on 3rd road?

Horror story for sure.

I bought 1 Honda chopper here, drove it for 7 years

and sold it privately with green book in my name, no backwash.

I am still friends with the people who sold it to me almost 8!years ago.

Replaced it with a used Harley, but from H-D of Bangkok, no problems.

But many of these little shops are just badly operated and think,

Properly done is not worth the trouble up front.

Some days ago while at the local recycling place i seen a ducati monster 900 covered in dust in the corner, i asked if it was for sale and does it have a book,

They said 120,000bht but all paper work there...i asked again...does it have a book...they said no book but have all papers...no problemw00t.gif

• Like 2

First rule buying any bike (or car) is don't hand over the cash until the book is in your hand, in your name. Show the seller you have the cash but make this condition clear to them before you go to the transport office. Any legit seller will agree, if they start making excuses then walk.

These horror stories are easily avoided with some common sense IMO.

Thanks for the input, and I can't argue with that (RE: common sense). However, when a book looks real, all numbers match, and a plausible (in LOS) reason for not registering in [sellers] name is what one sees. I think the rest just has to be learnt by experience.

Of course the upshot is that all the incoming advice became standard practice for me, after that experience.

First rule buying any bike (or car) is don't hand over the cash until the book is in your hand, in your name. Show the seller you have the cash but make this condition clear to them before you go to the transport office. Any legit seller will agree, if they start making excuses then walk.

Thanks for the input, and I can't argue with that (RE: common sense). However, when a book looks real, all numbers match, and a plausible (in LOS) reason for not registering in [sellers] name is what one sees. I think the rest just has to be learnt by experience.

Of course the upshot is that all the incoming advice became standard practice for me, after that experience.

I agree, and sometimes when people see a bike they really want they convince themselves it's all fine just because they want it to be. I wasn't trying to be a smartarse BTW, just offering good advise for people buying second hand bikes, especially imports because there seems to be some myth on ThaiVisa that going anywhere near an imported bike is a recipe for disaster, which simply isn't the case if you do it the right way.

• Like 1

I agree, and sometimes when people see a bike they really want they convince themselves it's all fine just because they want it to be. I wasn't trying to be a smartarse BTW, just offering good advise for people buying second hand bikes, especially imports because there seems to be some myth on ThaiVisa that going anywhere near an imported bike is a recipe for disaster, which simply isn't the case if you do it the right way.

All good advice for the newcomer. Spread the word, protect fellow foreigners.

Just highlighting a point within the article: the Thai guy (previous owner) had his insurance company refuse honouring the policy (after his accident), that he thought was valid. Seeing so many [older] big-bikes out there, knowing what I know about the 'issues' of authenticity, I wonder how many buyers/owners actually believe their policy would be honoured, in their hour of need. Worst case scenario: hit a pedestrian and hospitalize them with serious/long-term injuries (regardless of whose fault)...? #2 Collide with a very expensive car...?

My bike had an extra policy with AXA (3rd-party+). Shortly after discovering what I did, I insisted upon a meeting with the branch/president at HQ, and left his office with a letter (from/signed by him) stating AXA will honour the policy, regardless of the new-found information (issues over VIN), as all numbers on bike do match numbers in book, & policy schedule. Big peace of mind for me.

• Like 1

Though I'm new to posting on TV, I have had a few years of viewing.

Hardly a day passes when questions/controversy over green books, registering, etc... are the topic. It might help to have a look at this post. Also I have two other posts ('Be Careful Of The Men Of Their Word' & 'Fee For Selling A Vehicle') that include some direct and/or related information; between the three a lot of questions can be answered.

Stay safe,