Take A Minute To Watch This

I don't think I've ever posted anything negative here before, but I found that to be annoying. He reminds me of the old saying "Ask him what time it is and he'll instead tell you how a watch is made."

I doubt that there is anyone on the forum who doesn't already know the value of humus in the soil including the products of the life cycles of microorganisms.

20 minutes that should be condensed to three minutes, telling people to do what's been done for hundreds of years by anyone who cared.

I apologize for the negativity, but I couldn't watch it. He was full of himself in thinking I would listen to 20 minutes of him trying to sound important, as if he'd just made a new discovery.

i141.jpg

It's the same as stating the obvious, though some seem to forget the obvious these days.

Here's another obvious statement:

Carbon Dioxide is Necessary for Photosynthesis

Haven't heard on the news lately C02, along with light is necessary for trees to grow. I only hear the NEGATIVE side of Carbon dioxide in the media.

I don't think I've ever posted anything negative here before, but I found that to be annoying. He reminds me of the old saying "Ask him what time it is and he'll instead tell you how a watch is made."

I doubt that there is anyone on the forum who doesn't already know the value of humus in the soil including the products of the life cycles of microorganisms.

20 minutes that should be condensed to three minutes, telling people to do what's been done for hundreds of years by anyone who cared.

I apologize for the negativity, but I couldn't watch it. He was full of himself in thinking I would listen to 20 minutes of him trying to sound important, as if he'd just made a new discovery.

i141.jpg

He was invited to talk for 20 minutes. He must some how think of a way to present it to 20 minutes.

Some surprising responses. I practice everything Graeme talked about but still found it interesting and there was a lot of facts and figures given that were new to me. Typically the 170,000 litres of water that can be held in a hectare of high humus soil. That is extremely relevant here.

I will beg to differ on the knowledge base by our membership. I doubt many understand the interactions between carbon and nitrogen inputs and the need for balanced ratios. Needless to say, most members here know little about the soil biology.

The main takeout for me was that there is no one fix, many things must change. Awareness is a good start but knowledge is needed to effect change.

• Like 2

It's the same as stating the obvious, though some seem to forget the obvious these days.

Haven't heard on the news lately C02, along with light is necessary for trees to grow. I only hear the NEGATIVE side of Carbon dioxide in the media.

Sorry mate, but carbon dioxide levels are too high and rising more rapidly than for thousands of years due to the activities of a certain mammal. This is starting to cause serious problems. It's not a matter of 'if a little is good, more must be better'.

• Like 1

Sorry mate, but carbon dioxide levels are too high and rising more rapidly than for thousands of years due to the activities of a certain mammal. This is starting to cause serious problems. It's not a matter of 'if a little is good, more must be better'.

Dancealot makes a good point.

It is interesting to note that the level of CO2 in the air is below the optimal level for the growth of most vegetation and that is why they add more in greenhouses. It may well be too high for other reasons but many plants want more not less to optimise photosynthesis.

It is interesting to note that the level of CO2 in the air is below the optimal level for the growth of most vegetation and that is why they add more in greenhouses. It may well be too high for other reasons but many plants want more not less to optimise photosynthesis.

Strange,according to the Sait presentation it is above 440ppm and at its highest in 3 million years.

Excessive CO2 changes the acidity of the soil (acid rain, nobody talks about that any more) and may lead to a change of vegetation, definitely not good news. I spent one winter translating documents from French to English concerning climate change and it was definitely a shock horror experience, when the lady then did a series of lectures on the subject, the audiences of scientists seemed to be equally shocked and horrified.

Some time ago now and no one disputes nowadays that CO2 levels are dangerously high and people are talking about a 'tipping point' when the oceans will no longer be able to absorb any more.

There is a difference in CO2 that is close to the ground which is made by micro organisms and other animal activity and atmospheric CO2. This is something people forget, that CO2 is heavier than air, if it is around the same temperate. So burning fossil fuels and starting a compost pile are entirely different. CO2 made in the soil tends to stay near the plants which can then convert it into O2 and add the carbon to their mass.

Combine excessive use of fossil fuels with destroying the forest (which we have been doing in mass since the Bronze age), and the net effect is more CO2 than we need. Also less carbon in the top soil is another neglected topic, since topsoil traps carbon (and as IA pointed out; we are losing topsoil on global scales).

• Like 1

Its the excess, that's the problem....too much of a good thing and all that.

Like Hugh heffner has not been in the media much lately either.

• Like 1

...Typically the 170,000 litres of water that can be held in a hectare of high humus soil. That is extremely relevant here.

Yeah, right - just an impressive number - WOW, 170,000 litres! Who dares to question that? Does he mean a hectare in Oklahoma? The center of the Sahara? Permafrost in Siberia? Arctic? On the bottom of the Ocean? How deep is this hectare?

1 mm or 1 km?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...