Ayutthaya Bridge Collapse Due To Substandard Sling: Engineer

webfact

Ayutthaya bridge collapse due to substandard sling: Engineer
By English News

13686125507699.jpg

AYUTTHAYA, May 15 -- The Engineering Institute of Thailand has concluded that the collapse of a small suspension bridge recently in the central province of Ayutthaya resulted from a shoddy sling, according to chief of the Ayutthaya Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office Adisak Khaonoona.

Speaking to reporters in his capacity as head of the investigation team, Mr Adisak said the Engineering Institute has submitted its initial investigative report which indicated that a substandard main sling was to blame for the accident.

The clips that locked the cable also subsided and finally fell apart when the bridge was used for a long time without fixing the broken clip-locks, he said.

The “Bicentennial Bridge” in Ayutthaya collapsed on April 28 and fell to the Pasak River below, resulting in four deaths and injuring several other persons.

The suspension bridge is located in Tha Luang sub-district, Tha Rua district.

Mr Adisak said the Engineering Institute of Thailand would submit the official investigation report to the probe panel next week and a formal announcement would be made by then.

He said the committee advised Tha Luang municipality to file a complaint against the construction company. Meanwhile, the Lawyers Council of Thailand will help the victims' families lodge complaints for both criminal and civil lawsuits against Tha Luang sub-district municipality. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-15

Corners cut during building, and approving government engineers pocketing a bit to look the other way. However, now it will all be about the bad construction company and ignore the government folks that inspected and accepted it. TiT -- never changes.

And I wouldn't be surprised to hear the company who built the build offered the municipality a maintenance contract (i.e., check/repair bridge periodically, etc) but the municipality said, No, we'll call you when the bridge needs maintenance.

• Like 2

when you take kickbacks from every job the govt departments organize then the kickback for the company owners they have to use cheap crap or it will cost them more money, 30% pocket money for everyone involved and death for the public, what else can we expect here

Was the bridge inspected before being put into service?

If so, was the inspector paid to sign the certificate?

This is also what you can expect when you hire Issan farmers as construction workers. They are not trained and have no clue what they are doing.

Somebody lined their pockets in blood. I hope the govt official(s) who took bribes on this project are found & imprisoned.

Exactly, who arranged and authorised the purchase of cheap sub-standard components, probably invoiced at full price of the genuine piece and who inspected and signed off on the work ?

1) Did the design engineer not specify a strong enough sling?

2) Did the design engineer specify a strong enough sling and the construction company bought a cheaper one?

3) Did the construction company buy the correct sling and the manufacturer supplied a defective sling?

So, was the sling substandard because of bad engineering, construction company shaving costs, or shoddy manufacturing? I choose 'B'

Wow, Thai knockers are (as expected) out in force - i wonder exactly how many of them understand any form of engineering?

this is not a knock on Thais it is a fact that corruption exists pay backs sub standard material bribes to inspectors. Why is it you seem so intent on blaming one man It was a simple sling no great deal of engineering involved.

More the case of a sub-standard engineer!

What makes you say that?

I admit that Thailand is not noted for world shaking engineers but it is known for sub standard shoddy workmanship.sad.png

An engineer takes into account all factors... Yes?

Wouldnt one of those factors be the knowledge that sub-standard material be used? ... and then compensating for that?

Do they not inspect the construction?

Somebody lined their pockets in blood. I hope the govt official(s) who took bribes on this project are found & imprisoned.

Exactly, who arranged and authorised the purchase of cheap sub-standard components, probably invoiced at full price of the genuine piece and who inspected and signed off on the work ?

If i heard the news correctly the report has said the local authority covering the area should sue the contractor concerned but no mention of the government officials who approved the completed work

• Like 1

2) Did the design engineer specify a strong enough sling and the construction company bought a cheaper one?

3) Did the construction company buy the correct sling and the manufacturer supplied a defective sling?

So, was the sling substandard because of bad engineering, construction company shaving costs, or shoddy manufacturing? I choose 'B'

There isn't a 'B' in your substandard post.

• Like 1

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ! This is what happens when cutting corners, paying for cheap crappy companys etc

When a significant part of a budget is pocketed, it only leaves room for cutting corners and cheap crappy solutions.

Wow, Thai knockers are (as expected) out in force - i wonder exactly how many of them understand any form of engineering?

I do...

I would be careful with the interpretation of the phrase "sub-standard sling"...one assumes this article has been translated from Thai.

Everyone is jumping on the band wagon...saying it was sub-standard material/sling and corruption etc etc, but an alternative interpretation could also be that there was a engineering design error as regards the expected loads and an undersized "sling" was installed...the sling itself may not be "sub-standard" but too "small" for intended application or the the design of the slings was ok and the bridge in actual use has been excessively overloaded beyond the intended design parameters...

As a final theroy...the "sub-standard" sling could have failed due to internal corrosion of the "sling" core....visually externally you will not see anything and slings can fail without warning...

There is not enough info in this article to make a judgment call as to what the root case was

Edited by Soutpeel

How long until they announce the sling was imported from Cambodia and we have our scapegoat, all face saved, Thais are proud that they would never produce such a sling and Yingluck announces Tom Yam Gung to be the lunch choice at the opening of the new sling factory that will make Thailand hub of slings?

• Like 1

While not in the same category as the one in this article, I just visited a national park waterfall where there is a suspension bridge for pedestrians. Made with steel cables supporting a wood plank walkway, it is rotten and an accident waiting to happen. I doubt anyone would die falling through, but they could be seriously injured. I wonder just what the national park fees are spent on- obviously not maintenance or litter clearance.

There isn't a 'B' in your substandard post.

my bad. I choose 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another major bridge collapse. Shocking standards, who regulates this stuff and what checks are done?

Oh hang on - the second bridge is in America.

TV complainants 0 - Thai apologists 1 !

Poor journalism or translation but the word 'sling' indicates wire rope was used in the construction of the bridge. This is very strong and able to provide a lot of resistance to shock loading, however used in a permanent capacity requires careful periodic examination and replacement every few years.

Clip-locks and grips such as bulldog grips are not recommended for use in any application, but if used, again need periodic examination and checked for correct torque. The article indicates this was not done.

In other countries laws are in place to ensure maintenance and checks of this nature are done periodically. When working in the Gulf of Thailand, and mostly anywhere else offshore, companies adopt the UK regulations regarding wire rope and lifting equipment which are regarded as the World's best and most thorough; following the guidance of the UK statutory instruments and their approved codes of practice such as PUWER and LOLER. Failure to comply with them means you are breaking the law.

And before anyone asks, yes I am an engineer.