28/28 Visa Options

I know this is a visa question but i am hoping just for some advice from people in this industry that have the same issue as me.

I have been working a 28/28 roster for the last 16 months and have spent my time off in thailand. I have always entered on a visa exempt stamp and this has never been a problem. I also went to phuket town immigration office about 10 months ago and told them this is what i planned to do and they said there is no problems as long as it is obvious i have been away for a while and not just overnight so i can get a new stamp.

I am wondering if there is a type of visa i could apply for so that i know i will be fine everytime i come back. I always think there is going to be a time when they say at immigration that i have too many visa exempt.

I also wish to buy a car in the next few months so i wonder how i can register and insure this when i am only getting visa exempt stamps. I have a 12month lease on my apartment that i can show if it helps. (And i dont plan on getting married!!)

Thanks for any help.

I know guys working offshore who have been doing exactly what your doing for years without an issue, lets face its only 6 chops in a year in your pp.

your only option seeing as your not married is getting 90 tourist visa's and get too many of those from certain consulates they may put the blocks on you with respect to visa's eventually...Think what your doing on the visa waiver is the way to go

Registering a car and insurance has nothing to do with what visa your on, so no problem there, however seeing as your doing 28/28 I would say why bother ?, just rent a car for the month your off, I used to do this when I first came to Thailand when working offshore, used the same company and 90% of the time used to get the same car

Just get a 90 day visa and do all your stuff like buying a car and getting a licence in that period. Also some banks wont let you open an account without one

After that just use the on arrival stamp. Ive been doing it for years. Also if you need an extra 7 days because your opposite cant get off the platform just go to immigration and pay the 1900 baht fee. They wont get angry about you doing 28 day hitches in Thailand. But they do get peeved when they see a few overstays. Motorbike accidents dont work every time as an excuse

Its time they made an offshore visa for us

Edited by IrishIvan

Just get a 90 day visa and do all your stuff like buying a car and getting a licence in that period. Also some banks wont let you open an account without one After that just use the on arrival stamp. Ive been doing it for years. Also if you need an extra 7 days because your opposite cant get off the platform just go to immigration and pay the 1900 baht fee. They wont get angry about you doing 28 day hitches in Thailand. But they do get peeved when they see a few overstays. Motorbike accidents dont work every time as an excuse Its time they made an offshore visa for us

That's very good advice from Ivan. My early days here in Thailand (when I was still working offshore) I just used the 30 day stamp and muddled along for a few years. Became too difficult as i wanted a DL and buy vehicle etc so I first applied for Tourist visa in Singapore and later a non immigrant in Melbourne. Made my life much easier.

Just get a 90 day visa and do all your stuff like buying a car and getting a licence in that period. Also some banks wont let you open an account without one After that just use the on arrival stamp. Ive been doing it for years. Also if you need an extra 7 days because your opposite cant get off the platform just go to immigration and pay the 1900 baht fee. They wont get angry about you doing 28 day hitches in Thailand. But they do get peeved when they see a few overstays. Motorbike accidents dont work every time as an excuse Its time they made an offshore visa for us

That's very good advice from Ivan. My early days here in Thailand (when I was still working offshore) I just used the 30 day stamp and muddled along for a few years. Became too difficult as i wanted a DL and buy vehicle etc so I first applied for Tourist visa in Singapore and later a non immigrant in Melbourne. Made my life much easier. 

Im amazed that you got out. That is the hardest part

• 4 months later...

I know guys working offshore who have been doing exactly what your doing for years without an issue, lets face its only 6 chops in a year in your pp.

your only option seeing as your not married is getting 90 tourist visa's and get too many of those from certain consulates they may put the blocks on you with respect to visa's eventually...Think what your doing on the visa waiver is the way to go

Registering a car and insurance has nothing to do with what visa your on, so no problem there, however seeing as your doing 28/28 I would say why bother ?, just rent a car for the month your off, I used to do this when I first came to Thailand when working offshore, used the same company and 90% of the time used to get the same car

I've been here for about 3 years doing 28/28 rotation out of Brazil and I have a condo, harley davidson, pickup truck, two honda PCX's, Thai bank account and Thai drivers license with the lot and i've never had anything more than a 30 day visa waiver stamp in my passport and no one had ever raised an eyebrow.

Granted this is all done in Pattaya which i believe is a bit more liberal than other areas due to it being a big tourist destination.

Regards

Kurt