Boredom In Thailand

skoperism

Hi guys and girls,

I have never lived in Thailand, but I have lived in Bali for a while. During my time in Bali I lived in a small apartment, I met a couple of Spanish guys who lived in the other rooms on the same floor as miner. I was quite amazed how these Spanish guys lived their life in Bali,. In the morning they would get up collect the paper that was delivered daily, They would then make a move to their hammocks with a fresh cup of coffee. They would remain in the hammock for a number of hours reading about whats happing in world news. They may interrupt there morning reading about mid day to help their Indonesian girlfriends cook up some lunch. After a long leisurely lunch they may watch some satellite TV or get back to either reading the paper or a book. They would do this until dinner where again they would cook up their dinner and all have dinner together with their girlfriends.

Meanwhile I would wake up in the morning at about 8:00 then drop the girlfriend to work and grab a quick breakfast and get stuck into work. I would work hard all day programming some software I later planned to sell. What I couldn’t understand at that time is how these Spanish guys could just relax all day reading , sleeping, watching tv and hanging out with their girlfriend while not accomplishing anything. They were on welfare payments from Spain. I just couldn’t belive it would be enjoyable leading such a restful laid back life. Are any guys on the TV living like this?

Well I arrived back in Australia about 2 years ago and started up my own business and have been working hard over this time. Now unbelievably the only thing I want to do is live a laid back life the Spanish guys I met.

Am I sane?

Does any one out there happily live a life like this?

Has anybody tried living like this and got stick of it?

Yup ... Worked my butt off for too many years ... and retired young.

Yup to the first and and Nope to the second. :D

Mind you ... the Spanish guys should have a regular exercise regimen ...

but perhaps they do ... after lights out ! :o

Seriously though ... I was on holiday in Thailand in 87 and considered a two year vacation ...

I did'nt and went back to work for a further thirteen years ... then I retired in style ... :D

Naka.

Edited by naka

I just couldn’t belive it would be enjoyable leading such a restful laid back life. Are any guys on the TV living like this?

Am I sane?

oh, not only that laid back and enjoyable life - but much more ! and I doubt those guys bothered about sanity or "intellectual stimulation". it is not boredom to them.

you are Australian ?

I've met your countryman couple of years back in Hatyai. nice fellow. chronic alchoholic, also on welfare programe from your government as a drug addict. he said to me that SamSong wisky (heavy "goodbye liver" local stuff) is almost a medicine to him, because it is lesser evil - if he won't drink it, he'd inevitably return to more seious drugs as cocaine etc. so, I recall sitting in our guest house lobby reading book about 7 am in the morning (couldn't sleep) and he comes out holding bottle (big one - 0.7 litre ) of this magice stuff, and it is already 3/4 empty ! :o when I commented on this, he said - oh, this is nothing, coz when I stayed on Khao San in Bkk, I would finish one bottle BEFORE I get upf from the bed, and this (pointed to the one in his hand) would be second.

another time I came again there after 6 months (visa run), and see him in new nice silk shirt. wow ! what happened, dude, you decided to imrpove your image? he smiled - no, I won it in drinking match with other guy (some Swede as I recall) ! :D

I asked him - why do you stay in Thailand ? he said coz beer is MUCH cheaper here than back home. every 2 weeks he gets a check (about 15000 Baht - which is min 3 monthly salaried for few workers in that guest house, and for some even 5) on his local bank account - that government pension or whatever - and has nothing realy to use it for.

so, dude, may be you wasted your time on studying programming - get yourself a druggatic certificate to get a taste of laid back enjoyable life ! :D

P.S. sorry - I forgot to mention that his minimal REGULAR daily ration would be 5 such SamSong bottles !

Edited by aaaaaa

I just couldn’t belive it would be enjoyable leading such a restful laid back life. Are any guys on the TV living like this?

Am I sane?

oh, not only that laid back and enjoyable life - but much more ! and I doubt those guys bothered about sanity or "intellectual stimulation". it is not boredom to them.

you are Australian ?

I've met your countryman couple of years back in Hatyai. nice fellow. chronic alchoholic, also on welfare programe from your government as a drug addict. he said to me that SamSong wisky (heavy "goodbye liver" local stuff) is almost a medicine to him, because it is lesser evil - if he won't drink it, he'd inevitably return to more seious drugs as cocaine etc. so, I recall sitting in our guest house lobby reading book about 7 am in the morning (couldn't sleep) and he comes out holding bottle (big one - 0.7 litre ) of this magice stuff, and it is already 3/4 empty ! :o when I commented on this, he said - oh, this is nothing, coz when I stayed on Khao San in Bkk, I would finish one bottle BEFORE I get upf from the bed, and this (pointed to the one in his hand) would be second.

another time I came again there after 6 months (visa run), and see him in new nice silk shirt. wow ! what happened, dude, you decided to imrpove your image? he smiled - no, I won it in drinking match with other guy (some Swede as I recall) ! :D

I asked him - why do you stay in Thailand ? he said coz beer is MUCH cheaper here than back home. every 2 weeks he gets a check (about 15000 Baht - which is min 3 monthly salaried for few workers in that guest house, and for some even 5) on his local bank account - that government pension or whatever - and has nothing realy to use it for.

so, dude, may be you wasted your time on studying programming - get yourself a druggatic certificate to get a taste of laid back enjoyable life ! :D

P.S. sorry - I forgot to mention that his minimal REGULAR daily ration would be 5 such SamSong bottles !

thats a true blue aussie for ya :D

the part where you said he won the shirt in a drinking contest is funny. i dont know how you could of kept a straight face :D

well, I believed him, coz I never saw him wear anything else than his same T-shirt. and silk shirt ?

or may be some "teeraak" presented him, most probably on his own expense, and he was just too shy ("face") to admit ! :o

but I think he has had some serious problem in life previously, he'd never say, only few hints.

and NEVER any problems with him such as would surely happen with drunks. in fact he tried to pacify one american mate in one such session, who was much less drunk. good if all drunks could be so peacefull.

See my "intellectual stimulation" post Skoper. You do get sick of lying around if you are not that type. Depends on each individual !!!!!

Mind you, in the hot season I do a lot of lying around reading :o

Take seonai's advice and pop over to that thread. Lotta decent recommendations to be had.

I have been living in a smallish Thai town for a coupla years now and can admit to feeling rather bored when i first arrived. And just like on a remotish Thai island, there isnt exactly that much in the way of reading materials. Ok, i read Thai and enjoy browsing through the Thai Raj or The Daily News everyday, but as for actually getting my head around a book in Thai - thats not too relaxing! If its a decent piece of literature then its more of a darned headache - something nice and basic, well...all right.

What did i do to relieve a bitta the boredom? Started writing........

Hi guys and girls,

I have never lived in Thailand, but I have lived in Bali for a while. During my time in Bali I lived in a small apartment, I met a couple of Spanish guys who lived in the other rooms on the same floor as miner. I was quite amazed how these Spanish guys lived their life in Bali,. In the morning they would get up collect the paper that was delivered daily, They would then make a move to their hammocks with a fresh cup of coffee. They would remain in the hammock for a number of hours reading about whats happing in world news. They may interrupt there morning reading about mid day to help their Indonesian girlfriends cook up some lunch. After a long leisurely lunch they may watch some satellite TV or get back to either reading the paper or a book. They would do this until dinner where again they would cook up their dinner and all have dinner together with their girlfriends.

Meanwhile I would wake up in the morning at about 8:00 then drop the girlfriend to work and grab a quick breakfast and get stuck into work. I would work hard all day programming some software I later planned to sell. What I couldn’t understand at that time is how these Spanish guys could just relax all day reading , sleeping, watching tv and hanging out with their girlfriend while not accomplishing anything. They were on welfare payments from Spain. I just couldn’t belive it would be enjoyable leading such a restful laid back life. Are any guys on the TV living like this?

Well I arrived back in Australia about 2 years ago and started up my own business and have been working hard over this time. Now unbelievably the only thing I want to do is live a laid back life the Spanish guys I met.

Am I sane?

The religion in the western world is growth. We are from the very beginning of our lifes raised up to become productive and consume. Material welth. The systems (or families) provides us with the necessities we need, to become what the system want us to become. Thats our culture.

Nevertheless, some people in the west are able to see through this, or just have a nature that allows them to live.

I am one of them. I dont agree in nor see the point of our way of living. It is an illusion. I do not have a carrer, I have a life. And I love it!

:o

When I first sought of "retired" here 2 years ago it was nearly the death of me. Some people can hack the lifestyle of the two Spanish guys you mention ,others cannot. I could not do that for more than a 2 week holiday!

I need something to fulfill me, even if its something small. I get my kicks from the fact that I have made some good freinds up here and my Wife has a small restaurant where I go about 3 times a week and indulge myself in conversation with her customers.

I went through a period of being pretty goodam ill all the time in LOS for the first year I was here,when in the UK I never had the time to be sick.

It has taken me time to get my head round this "early retirement" gig but I think I am now adapting myself to it, but I cannot help myself from thinking about what else I could do business wise and feel that I am wasting my talents and skills by stopping work to early.

Anyway, thats just my little story and the way I feel about it.

Cheers

TP