Torroror Shops

krung

Hi, was wondering does anyone in chiang mai know of tor ror or shops(test vehicles over seven years) that just take a reading of the computer in the car but don't issue the certification. The check engine light came on while driving back from chiang rai, but subsequently hasn't reappeared, think it would be a cheaper option to find out what the problem was/is. Have been before and think they charged around 200 baht. Just not sure if they test vehicles that don't need taxed yet. Cheers for any help.

You need any shop that can hook up the engine computer to their analysis software. So that's dealers and the bigger repair shops.

Any noticeable issue by the way? I had a weird issue that the dealer couldn't find (engine very briefly cutting out / doing a hiccup, while the Check Engine light came on) That turned out to be a basic electrical issue (some cable shorting out). Was a small shop that found it in a couple hours, where the dealer couldn't find it in two visits.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hi, thanks for the replies so far. I thought every time the check engine light comes on it is recorded on a chip in the car's computer so that is what I am looking analysed.(not sure the name of the process or machine). I thought taking it to a dealership would be very expensive, got a quote before from a Mitsubishi dealership to check what the problem was and they were looking a lot.

No real noticeable issue, was on the road from chiang rai, the hilly bit before Doi Saket and it came on(some power is withheld from the engine when the light comes on), pull over at the first petrol station in Doi Saket and let it sit for 5 minutes and it hasn't reappeared since. Did a bit of research and it could be something as simple as the fuel cap not being tight.

So if any ideas on the price to analyse? Maybe a dealership is the best way forward. Thanks.

Could just be a faulty sensor Some cars will just cut the power down and let you keep going (I have had a suzuki that did this) others - like my Toyota corolla just shut down completely. May depend on which sensor is faulty. I agree with Dolly - get the dealer to put it on the diagnostic tester.

I just got an OBDLink tool from scantool.net It can USB to a laptop or Bluetooth to a smartphone (I use their Torque software for Android). It plugs into the connector under the dash and I was amazed at the data. it can also reset faulty error codes. I'm sure there are more sophisticated tools but for $125 USD, I'm happy. Plus it is an oppty for friends to drop by, plug in their vehicle and discuss over beer. :-) I'm using the lite (free) software but plan to spend the $5 to upgrade to pro for HP, Torque, etc. Check it out on Google Play.. you get an amazing amount of data (GPS tracking, too.)