Why are people like you and me fleeing Windows-11...for Linux Desktop? Now!

11 minutes ago, treetops said:

Not for me either.

Wacko OP.

And, concerning Lou Reed VS Amy Winehouse....if you look on the stage:

Lou Reed:  And the Colored Girls say....

image.png.5729ee9f4bd81a2f5e3f5a03aa6ed8d4.png

Amy Winehouse:  And the Black Boys go......

The same....

Check it out!

Amy must have done this quite intentionally....

She was no dummy....

And, don't be a dummy......either.....

USE Linux

And, begin using Linux, now, before you are too dumb in your old age to make the changeover....

Just my best advice to you.

LINUX DESKTOP is the wave of the future.

Linux will never die.

And, it will just get stronger, even though this might take some time of adoption...yet....

It WILL HAPPEN....

Don't get left behind, Folks.....!

Do NOT get left behind!

Best advice I can give to you, these days....

Take care....

Gamma G.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Not sure who is fleeing windows?

People like me.

The ones in the know.

I thought you understood this.....

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Because linux was lacking too much for the average user and that now is no longer the case. And it is still just very few anyway.

WOW....I say.....WOW!

You actually spout the truth, the truth that all SHOULD know....by now.....

Yes, this is one of the BEST comments I have read on TV....in many months.

In fact....as time goes by (or should I say: as time has gone by, and passes on).....there is less and less offered by Windows that Linux cannot offer better, based on a far better OS.

Your prescient and valid comment is nothing but further refreshment to mine ears.

THIS is the MAIN reason that.....a few months ago.....

I decided to FINALLY and FOREVER shuck and shun Windows.....Forever, and Forever, til Kingdom Come.....

There is REALLY nothing that I cannot do, these days, for my work, using Linux...and so.....

It's, for me, these days......

Bye, Bye, Windows.....

And, you can even think of my thinking in another more musical way, if you will....

No more Monopolists for Me, I say!

image.png.6ead497319b11fc985fe49fff37dbd74.png

Still, I do love the humor of Gates, even though it destroyed so such.

You cannot stifle technology, as Gates did, without hurting millions.

No wonder he builds huge Armageddon-proof bunkers under his magnificent residences.

Give me Linux, any day.

• Sad 1

Of course...just one more consideration....

People like me are tired of hooking-up with Windows and Microsoft.

With this new Windows-11, MS has truly crossed the Rubicon....

image.png.bc5766399855ab9f805f2fa7332ef458.png

• Sad 1

Why would anyone want to flee windows since a nice new update is coming for windows 11 in the fall as reported in an article on Arstechnica.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/05/biggest-windows-11-update-in-2-years-nearly-finalized-enters-release-preview/

Biggest Windows 11 update in 2 years nearly finalized, enters Release Preview

Whats not to like about the following useful feature:

Extract:

The biggest 24H2 feature specific to Copilot+ PCs is Recall, which continually takes snapshots of everything you do with your PC so that you can look up your own activities later. This comes with obvious privacy and security risks, though Microsoft says that all of Recall’s data is encrypted on disk and processed entirely locally by the NPU rather than leveraging the cloud. Other Copilot+ features include Live Captions for captioning video files or video calls in real time and features for generating new images and enhancing existing images.

I still use Windows 7 at home and zero Microsoft applications. It has an XP and an Android emulator just in case. Just add a virus scanner and it's still good.

We use Windows 11 at work and it is fine for M$ Office use. 

I have 2 very old PCs that I have used Linux flavors on but all require some knowledge of their operating system as they are too old for Ubuntu and Suze. Stick with Windows 7 if you can.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

I still use DUAL-BOOT.

Windows 11/Ubuntu
Many years already.
Best of both worlds.

In the prehystoric times, when dinosaurs were wandering over the world, i used also DUAL-BOOT on my 386DX.
- 1 boot diskette with MS-DOS 5
- 1 boot diskette with CP/M

I even had some programs which required to boot from their own diskette (TeleMecanique PLC language, Siemens S5, etc.)

Posted (edited)

Stepping from XP to W11 , I hated it , but like someone a year ago wrote here on the forum:

You get used to it .... and he was right. 

I tried to get away from W11 last year . Linux mint and zorin OS , it s_cked , and those are among the best

for trying linux and getting away from windows.

I was glad to re-install W11. 

After a million distro's , linux just can't get it right , from new hardware support to software

and work flow.

If MS goes full AI and even more annoying , I'd install Mint but very reluctantly.

For now I don't update W11 anymore. I don't like all the new things they are putting in.

I just made 1 computer from 2 identical , 17 years old and put XP on it again.

It works well and I need it to get into my old truecrypt volumes.

I'm not putting linux on that one either.

Edited by FlorC

22 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

Would be there if MS Office functioned properly as I need it much. Libra is a piece of sh 

I do a lot of complex spreadsheets in Google Sheets and if I need to do any documents then Google Docs is more than capable. 

I have an intense dislike for MS, i've mostly used Linux for about 15 years now (current computer is dual boot MS/Linux). I've been using Ubuntu, but would be open to trying another flavor of Linux if I found one that is even more user friendly, or had better options for software & apps.

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

NOTE3:  Windows and MS is just no....FUN...anymore.....!

LINUX is just about as much fun as AMY!

Also, as we all know......  TORVALDS loves to work in his pajamas....... (did you know that? I did....)

NOTE4:  RIP....Amy.....   You were and ARE GREAT.....   Amazing, too!

NOTE5:  RIP  Freddy and Bowie, too.....  EVERYONE NEEDS LINUX......especially TODAY!!!!!!

Win 3.1 one was quite fun to get working  555

then finding anything to do with it after it was working a whole nother fun project.

Amy ,Bowie and Freddy great artists..I think Bowie has the edge due to his longer career and huge catalogue.

"fleeing Windows-11...for Linux Desktop? Now!"

Honestly I doubt many people use desktops anymore.

Even sleek laptops are being replaced with smart phones that can do anything a desktop or laptop can do.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Windows....for.....ANYTHING,

I have no issues with Windows through 10. Other than I do not use Defender. But will not transition to 11. I don't need that type of complexity and higher potential for s/w failures. I also use Skype that was purchased by M/S in hopes of eliminating a key competitor to its Team given the high approval Skype gets. 

Microsoft Windows11 .......are you kidding?🙃

No thanks!

I have installed virtual machine at my computer and I test  every new application running linux program so if something fails I can delete my whole virtual machine at my pc and install it again.

Source:

New Windows AI feature takes screenshots of your desktop 'every few seconds' and I can't imagine wanting that

https://www.pcgamer.com/software/windows/windows-ai-feature-takes-screenshots-of-your-desktop-every-few-seconds-and-i-cant-imagine-wanting-that/

Why Microsoft wants to take screenshots of your laptop every few seconds

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/microsoft-ai-copilot-screenshots-laptop-141641174.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFxrP6HKCsS6Jh_dfl-oyvdzijLb04vhr5mNJHJTg0uGRFIU1mT5rasywQ29EpORrqyxNieHBaI9r5I003ym54CGU-NF2q2mU4SMgtDvCqwTu5RQDh-BcWmP6pliku07cK5dVPo4pOw2GV60JA4Gz27sNhQfwKv7NEM2pTqq6ECw

16 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Even sleek laptops are being replaced with smart phones that can do anything a desktop or laptop can do.

Yes...but....

I just built a SUPERCOMPUTER which is heavy and takes up two of my large workstation desks.

The thing is HUGE!

I hate phones.

I still use my NOTE4, in fact.

In use for 10 years, and I have no plan to replace it.

Why pay more money to Apple or Samsung when I do not need to do so?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/24/2024 at 7:49 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

People like me.

The ones in the know.

I thought you understood this.....

Ah people like you.
But not people like me

• Agree 1

learned Linux  15 yrs ago so this not news and I didnt discover it cos of you....

but if one sits in front of the computer 24/7/365 they will eventually come upon the secret to a reliable OS.....ur a bit late .....

17 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

can you imagine GG sitting in front of a phone for the amount of time he spends his life posting here...

july 23.2021 and 9.2 k in posts...do the math......and his posts reflect that of a reclusive human who never leaves the house..

• Like 1