Is Thai Language Skill Still A Requirement For Permanent Residency?

A few years ago, I looked into the hard to get Thai Permanent Residency application, but have always struggled with the Thai language requirement.

Looking at requirement posted on the Thai Immigration website, it is silent as to a Thai language requirement. Does anyone know if that is still required? I meet all the other criteria.

Thanks

Yes.

It should be easier for persons married to a Thai national, but in practise you will get nowhere anyway as all communication is in Thai and they will talk to you and not your wife or lawyer. You will simply make a very poor impression if you can't speak Thai even if not required.

They will try and help you by keeping it simple, but you must be able to have a conversation with them and answer questions about yourself.

A follow up question: I had three extensions on a NON-B, but left the country without a re-entry stamp (foolish). When I discovered it, went to a Thai embassy, got myself a new NON-B, and I am now on my first yearly extension again. Can I apply?

A follow up question: I had three extensions on a NON-B, but left the country without a re-entry stamp (foolish). When I discovered it, went to a Thai embassy, got myself a new NON-B, and I am now on my first yearly extension again. Can I apply?

yep, you are back to square one.

Well, when I obtained mine the lawyers (Khun Anuchai of www.kss.co.th) had all applicants prepared. It is in essence a circle covering:
- why are you in Thailand
- what are you doing in Thailand
- do you have family in Thailand
- why do you want a PR

Memorize a circle covering all four subjects and link in where the discussion goes. Nobody expects you to be perfect and yep, the "interview" (which was rather a monologue from my part) was videotaped.

Have never heard of anyone failing due to lack of local language skills though - good luck!

You never know as far as I know the immigration officer is authorized to grant you 10 marks on your language skills. There are random question sheets availabe while interviewing so the question could be as easy as Dork encountered or as difficult as I did.

So as Dork said if you are applying this December you have a whole year to practice your Thai.

Don't worry too much about the language. You have got some very good advice here already that should take you through that part.

What really matters is the impression you give and how sincere you seem to be. As always when you deal with the authorities dress appropriately, and make sure your companion does the same. By this the officer will probably "guide" you through the process.

Good luck.

why wouild anyone want to apply for Thai residency? what benefits are there? pay taxes? still have to check in yearly. and unless you are under twenty five, you will not outlive the yearly fee versus the "one time fee! all you get is a book. you will NEVER be a Thai citizen!

• Like 1

If you get PR does that mean no need for visas in the future and a thai ID and passport?

No, it means that you no longer need an extension of stay from immigration and if not married to a Thai it opens up the way to Thai nationality.

Why on earth do aliens want to be thai resident,the cost is over half a mill thai baht,other visa per year 2000baht!!.

If over 40years my immigration officer said dont waste yer money,what benifts here everything is a paper trail and ive been here over 20 years no complaints.

• Like 1

Why on earth do aliens want to be thai resident,the cost is over half a mill thai baht,other visa per year 2000baht!!.

If over 40years my immigration officer said dont waste yer money,what benifts here everything is a paper trail and ive been here over 20 years no complaints.

I agree far too expensive, I would have to live to over 150 just to break even!

I agree far too expensive, I would have to live to over 150 just to break even!

You guis are looking too much on the expenses. If you don’t have a 200k or even not 100k Baht that you can spend for this reason how you can provide a bank account with 400k or 800k for the annual extension. Realise that after the PR has been granted to you there is no more Extension necessary. For the estimation that you would have to live over 150 to get to the break even point you probably just count the 1.900 Baht fee for the extension. Means that you don’t need any documentation from your embassy about your income or they give it to you for free. The side expenses will reduce your necessary live time to break even to half.

Back to the question on top. I did apply in December 2012. The first Interview I have had while submitting the application. With me was a girl from the company’s human resource department. I guarantee that my Suaheli is better then her English. Therefore all the conversation was held in Thai language without any exception. The officer went through the paperwork and had always some questions regarding that. It took in total about 50 Minutes including the short break on that they have taken my finger prints. To me that was no problem at all. Just know what is written on the papers and be prepared to be questioned for that.

About two months lather I had to go to another interview. At this time the officer has made a summary of all my personal matters on one sheet. I had to confirm all of that is right and also the spelling of all the farang names. That took also near one hour.

At the end of the session the officer told me that she voted my Thai language in total with 80%. I did not have the feeling at any time that the two interviews have been the language test. It was just conversation.

Meanwhile I’m invited to be at the immigration again at the end of this month.

Use Rosetta Stone ( a language learning program). You'll find that at the bay where all the pirates take a rest. Works well, doesn't ask you for money and keeps it's mouth shut.......

.It won't have a headache when you desperately need it and it hasn't got brothers, sisters and other family members who get sick, which can be expensive.

And it's only speaking to you when you want to,

Chock Dee.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Good Idea.

Maybe we should make English a requirement for USA

Really bad comparison. The vast majority of immigrants to the US WANT and try to learn English, unlike many lazy, arrogant farangs who live in Thailand for years and don't even try!

Sent from my spaceship.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Idea.

Maybe we should make English a requirement for USA

Really bad comparison. The vast majority of immigrants to the US WANT and try to learn English, unlike many lazy, arrogant farangs who live in Thailand for years and don't even try!

Sent from my spaceship.

English is already a requirement for resident status in UK and US, isn't?

Yes, speaking Thai is required, actually reading also. I'm speaking from my personal experience. I was given an exam at the immigration, speaking and reading, I was asked a lot of questions in Thai and had to answer in Thai, not writing though. If you cannot speak Thai you may not get through.