Why Do Some Farangs Live In Remote Areas?

monochaser

What a strange one the op is , never mind I still feel compeled to throw in my 2 pence worth.

Issan was once the poorest area of thailand not much to offer, little water, poor farm land very little infrastructure I think just how the op would liked it to have stayed !. The locals on the other hand wanted more so they went away to work where ever they could, on building sites in bars as maids ect ect the result of this is money has poured back into the area increasing land prices infrastructure has improved ,schools shops hospitals ect and this is all down to the Thai "make something out of nothing " way of life.

So well done to all those guys that have invested time and money in the area but remember some people would liked it to stay just the way it was and maybe eased there consience by adopting an elephant or sending £5 a month to charity.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get from BKK to Nang Rong? I normally rent a car, but my wife has just bought us a new truck and she doesn't drive. It's sitting in our drive way waiting for me to get home. There used to be a maxi taxi that ran nightly, but the wife says it stopped. Any helpful ideas?

I did not not start this thread to argue with anyone. I just wanted to hear remote area people defend their place in Thai society after enduring a thread from someone trashing tourist areas. The OP in that thread got under my skin

Hello Mr Monocahaser,

I live in a Fairly remote area called Mae Sot (bordering Burma) there are few tourists, but those Farang that are here are here to volunteer, like myself.

I live here because there is FRESH air, the people are generally good natured, there is a great badminton club, it is QUIET, not too much traffic (as in cars!) AND there is a great variety of food (from Thai to Indian)

Money really isn't the issue, well not for Farangs anyway (or at least it should not be)

So there are a few reasons for you. I'm not saying one way of life is better than the other, everybody has their choice, as someone else said 'live and let live'.

I hope now you have a reasonable picture of why people CHOOSE to live where they do. :D

I for one am very happy not to live in a polluted area full of fat old Farang constantly drinking and courting young Thai women and young Farang's on the pi## all the time. SORRY THAT LAST SENTENCE WAS A RANT :o

I did not not start this thread to argue with anyone. I just wanted to hear remote area people defend their place in Thai society after enduring a thread from someone trashing tourist areas. The OP in that thread got under my skin

They got under your skin?! You are the one saying you're in Thailand to watch the girls go topless and the OP got under your skin? Why, because they were criticizing the "behavior" of the tourists who frequent such places? If that is why you are there just be honest about it and and shrug it off. To start a thread calling farangs who live and work (not play) in the rural areas of Thailand exlpoitors is just childish.

They got under your skin?! You are the one saying you're in Thailand to watch the girls go topless and the OP got under your skin? Why, because they were criticizing the "behavior" of the tourists who frequent such places? If that is why you are there just be honest about it and and shrug it off. To start a thread calling farangs who live and work (not play) in the rural areas of Thailand exlpoitors is just childish.

WELL SAID!!!

He is talking alot of rubbish. :o:D

WELL SAID!!!

He is talking alot of rubbish. :D:D

Well, I am glad you liked my dumb-a$$ American post. I hope you enjoy my reply to your pleasantness in the "Have You Seen The Movie V" thread. Although, I did forget to post an American flag with my comment. Sorry about that. :o

I wouldn't have bothered replying to such a stupid question by a troll.

RC

It got right up my nose.

I am a farang. I do not have any place in Thai society and I am satisfied with that.

I am also satisfied with my lot in life.

The OP in this thread got under my skin as well.

I also noticed monochaser that you did not trouble yourself with replying to any of my questions.

Were they too difficult?

Edited by billd766

Am I jealous of someone who marries a prostitute? Ummm no... But good luck to all who have, live and let live I say :D :D

Be careful, the love of your life may have had a very 'chequered' past, which you may not know anything about - This is Thailand. You may be 'throwing stones' without knowing you are in a 'glass house'. :o

Well my g/f is a microbiologist, but thanks for the warning, I will keep it in mind :D I must admit I think people who marry prostitutes are taking a big risk... but each to their own eh? Anyway I love the banok and wish I could live there!

Am I jealous of someone who marries a prostitute? Ummm no... But good luck to all who have, live and let live I say :D :D

Be careful, the love of your life may have had a very 'chequered' past, which you may not know anything about - This is Thailand. You may be 'throwing stones' without knowing you are in a 'glass house'. :o

Well my g/f is a microbiologist, but thanks for the warning, I will keep it in mind :D I must admit I think people who marry prostitutes are taking a big risk... but each to their own eh? Anyway I love the banok and wish I could live there!

My comments were not an attempt to condone or admit to doing that. You made a broad statement about farangs in remote places because of marrying prostitutes. My wife isn't a prostitute either... she just happens to be from a remote village. I just wasn't too thrilled with your analogy. Several of us have migrated to small villages for many reasons.

Edited by soic

Well Mono, one BIG advantage is to get away from negative morons like you. :D

I second that...

It would be interesting to have a look at what difference there is between the city and bannork farangs, but not with this topic opener. :o

My comments were not an attempt to condone or admit to doing that. You made a broad statement about farangs in remote places because of marrying prostitutes. My wife isn't a prostitute either... she just happens to be from a remote village. I just wasn't too thrilled with your analogy. Several of us have migrated to small villages for many reasons.

I didn't make an analogy or a broad statment. I just said :" A considerable number of farangs marry poverty stricken prostitutes from remote areas and settle down there" That is true. I never said "the vast majority of farangs who live in remote areas are married to prostitutes" or anything like that. I lived in Bangkok for three years and hated it, I love the countryside too!